Help rebuilding my shock

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt

:cool:

Seriously though... anyone have a clue about these? Namely what weight oil and what pressure they should be charged to. It dumped it's load all over my desk and whilst I'm ready to write it off as a lost cause it might be fun to pull apart and play with. Don't know how I'll go finding a main seal to suit but that's part of the adventure ;)

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rebuilt and original rock shox super deluxe of an old gt that was blown when i got it. I had no real reference to go on apart from seeing a 5th element (mine) re-valved and having rebuilt numerous rp23's (easy as).

As you pull it apart, make sure you take note of how it goes back together. That includes direction of parts as this is critical. Hopefully some of the seals will be generic and available, otherwise sometimes just a good clean can make a world of difference.
I started by using 5 weight fork oil as thats what i had laying around but found this to be a little light as the rebound had to be wound almost all the way in before it did anything. Using a 7.5W would solve this as it would be slower to flow through the valving and hence be easier to control. I wouldnt use anything over a 10 weight.
As you reassemble the shock, fill it to the brim with oil to eliminate any air getting in when you reinsert the piston rod. THIS WILL BE MESSY! as there will be some oil displaced as you push it (carefully) in.
As far as air pressure, I've never used that shock so trial and error. Start low and work you way up until you get something that resembles a rear shock feeling!

hope this helps...

udi

swiss cheese
Hey,
With a little shock like that, 1L will make you a bath in a suitable container which will make the whole process much easier. I'd start by making sure you have a suitable setup available to repressurise it (a fitting or shop or whatever). Then remove the spring, clean the shock up really nicely and just unscrew it... pull out any seals that you think are leaking and get them matched. Most shocks just use an o-ring to seal the shaft with a wiper on the outside (that looks like a pressure seal but afaik doesn't act like one) so that's usually an easy replacement, but most seal shops will match the pressure seals anyway. You can usually remove the ressy cap and pump the shock with oil still in there to make the IFP (floating piston) fall out, which you'll want to do first.

For oil, just make sure you get something with a high VI (shock specific oils are good, or silkolene pro RSF is great). Normal fork oils aren't great although they'll still work if you're tight / don't really care. I'd start with 5wt.

Then just build the sucker under oil, I'm not sure if the seal head for the shaft comes out but it'll be a pain if it doesn't... generally I just remove that and the ressy cap (perhaps circlip'd in on that shock?)... get everything filled with oil, and then push the IFP in (3/4 of total depth is a good estimate on most shocks), then install the seal head. All under oil. If the IFP has a bleed screw on it you can swap the order of those steps but most cheapies don't. Then recap the ressy, repressurise (150psi would be my suggestion to start with), clean it up, and off you go.

Probably repeated heaps of stuff you already know but I have no idea how much that is. :)

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the info, great for those would-be shock rebuilders out there :cool:
The specifics are what I'm after, such as oil weight, IFP depth and nitrogen pressure... but knowing they'll be impossible to find I'm happy to go with your estimates to start with udi.
Pulled it apart today, circlips are a bastard!
Had more shims than I expected, in fact it's pretty nicely made for something 13 years old.

The problem? Well... the main seal turned to goo!

Looks like it used to be a quad ring, will measure up the housing and see if I can find a replacement - though I really CBF and just want to sell the frame it came off. Too many other projects going to waste my time with, this is just a novelty for the sake of it. Oh well, will report back if I get anywhere with it, a Float RP would be a much better shock for the frame anyway.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Looks like it used to be a quad ring, will measure up the housing and see if I can find a replacement - though I really CBF and just want to sell the frame it came off. Too many other projects going to waste my time with, this is just a novelty for the sake of it. Oh well, will report back if I get anywhere with it, a Float RP would be a much better shock for the frame anyway.
if you're after parts... talk to Kegs.

We were the service centre for Noleen back in the mid 90's and a few years back we gave all our remaining spares to him. He may even have some seals.

What's to loose?

Elvis

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kegs- cyclelogic? Will email him soon... also any chance DW have the service info around that I need? :D Or should I bug kegs about it too?
What's too loose? the screws holding my head on!

J5 I'll get in contact once I sort out this shock, but I'm thinking you'll be happy with the frame alone anyway ;)

DW-1

Dirt Works
kegs- cyclelogic? Will email him soon... also any chance DW have the service info around that I need? :D Or should I bug kegs about it too?
I'm trying to recall if Noleen ever gave us manuals and set-up guides... it was the 90's...

Kegs has re-built plenty of them though. (they were OEM on the old GT RTS frames...)

Elvis.