Help on updating my bike?

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
Hi all, see below for pics.

It's my first MTB ever. I bought it second hand about a year ago not knowing much about bikes! After buying it I realised the U-Turn function on the forks was broken, so Ive learnt to ride with 135mm of travel. Shortly after buying it I made it a 1 by 9, added chain-guide and bash guard, shortened the stem, and put some more substantial pedals on it. LBS did this work as I was a complete novice at. I ride purely for fun, and plan on entering some events later in the year (non-competitively). I realize it is a XC frame, but with the shortened stem, large travel and bash guard it really makes a robust bike to throw around. My ideal kind of riding is rough, bumpy and exciting,I like taking the fun line rather than the quickest. I have also done some basic dirt jumping sort of stuff on the bike, This is why I am posting here not in the XC forum!

Now that my riding is developing, and I know the sort of bike I want, I'm considering some changes. I'm happy with a hardtail at this point as I have the DH bike to cover that genre. I'm also interested in developing my bike home-mechanic skills. For the most part I am happy with the brakes (deore), shifters (X7) and rear derr. (X9). I am not set on the idea of replacing the bike, I am really happy with it apart from the things below... I don't think Ive learnt enough on this bike yet.

What I am looking at doing is, firstly:
-New tyres (tread is wearing and I want something a bit more AM)
-New forks ~ 140-150mm (perhaps http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80275)

Questions to the floor-
Is it worth upgrading this bike or should I consider something entirely new?
Are the tyres and forks a good start? Would you consider any other changes?

Specs (or close to):
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/...Model=Avalanche+Expert&Type=bike#.UA9fSWEnw0I

2012-07-07 11.13.03.jpg2012-06-30 14.48.21.jpg2012-07-07 11.54.23.jpg

willsy01

Eats Squid
If you're happy with how the frame feels I see no reason to replace it.

Tyres and a more upmarket fork is definitely are definitely upgrades you will benefit from. Both will make a pretty substantial difference to the way the bike handles overall.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Try Schwalbe Nobby Nics in whatever width takes your fancy.

The 150mm travel fork will change the handling on the GT maybe something a bit shorter in travel 130mm or thereabouts.