help needed - boxxer rebound

black rider

Likes Dirt
Hey all, any assistance from Boxxer / suspension gurus would be much appreciated...

I've just given my forks (2006 Boxxer races) a service and I've run into a little problem with the rebound adjuster. The forks are assembled and they're working fine, the problem is that the rebound adjuster at the foot of the fork leg won't budge. Well, not without more force than I'm willing to apply (at least for the moment ;) ). Prior to refilling the damper leg with oil, I fully opened the rebound, then even backed it closed a touch to make sure it wasn't jammed open. It didn't feel stiff or at all unusual.

When I've reinstalled the lower bolts, the bolt on the damper side will tighten, but not overtighten. It's tight, but at a point where it just spins rather than getting tighter. I assume this is the rod / rebound damper spinning in the fork legs. I can't remember if this was the case last time I serviced the forks. Is it possible that this has somehow resulted in the damper jamming open / closed?

But, going with the theory that the rebound has been jammed by trying to turn it too far in the one direction, I don't believe that the fork rebound is as overly fast or slow as I would expect it would be if the rebound damper had been jammed open / closed.

I'm going to strip the forks again to see if I can find the issue. If it comes down to it I'll try to apply force to get it to move, but only as a last resort, and would obviously want to make sure I was turning the adjuster the right way and not just jamming it further. Is there any way to tell if the rebound is open / closed just by looking at the damper?

Oh yeah, just in case it helps with the diagnosis, during the service, I didn't remove either of the shaft assemblies from the uppers. Also, prior to the service I've been having problems with the rebound speeding up during a day of runs. Not sure if the damper gradually adjusts itself open, or there's another issue at work.

Any ideas?

Cheers.:)

udi

swiss cheese
Try removing the damper side footbolt, and seeing whether you can adjust the rebound like that - via a 2.5mm allen key.

If you can't (or if the entire damper rod just rotates in the lower when you do this), you may have to remove the stanchion / damper rod assembly from the lowers, hold the bottom of the shaft with something that won't damage it, and try adjusting it with the 2.5mm key again. You shouldn't have to use force here, if it doesn't turn easily you will probably want to remove the damper rod from the stanchion and inspect the needle valve to see if something is jamming it. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

I found the only time the adjuster can lock is if you wind out until it hits the stop and then tighten the footbolt. If you do get it working, wind it in to midway or a little more before you tighten the bolt next time.

kidafa

Likes Dirt
Has happened to me a couple of times.... try removing the footbolt and then adjusting it and if that doesnt work pull it apart and then put the adjuster mid way in the adjuster range..... You should see what I managed to do to my rebound adjuster when it was stuck in their... Its TWISTED :p

kidafa

Likes Dirt
thought it would be.... for some reason with the bolt done up it just binds the adjuster so you cant move it...