help! (creaking cranks)

anthony_coleman

Likes Bikes
Hey im having problems with my cranks, they are always creaking, i know this is a common problem but ive tried tightening them, adding grease and loosening the chain (as this caused creaking before) they are 3 piece ones (no idea on the brand) any ideas would be great, or if you have decent second hand ones you want to sell id be interested :) thanks!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Have you greased all the contact points?

Grease the BB cups and thread in the frame (this usually does it)
Grease the BB tube in the frame
Grease the pedal bolts threads and the threads inside the crank arm
Grease chainring bolts (very lightly)
Grease your pedal bearings

Before you grease the chainring bolts give the contact points a good clean. sometimes grit and water gets in there over time and starts making noise.
Some people will be against greasing the chainring bolts in favor of loctite. Each to their own.

Have you checked your cockpit?
I know it sounds odd, (and don't mean to sound patronising) but I thought I had creaking cranks/BB once and it was actually the headset but I thought it was the cranks because it only happened when I put a huge load on the pedals, when in fact I was yanking up on the bars when I runched hard on the pedals and the headset groaned.

Good luck

NS Capital Man

Likes Dirt
this sometimes happen to me usually because their loose but sometimes even when their tight they creak then i just hit em wih the pressure washe and that seems to do the trick

RICOCHET

Likes Dirt
High Pressure might "fix" the problem short term, but it will just return again. Best bet if you don't have the tools or the know-how is to visit your LBS and either get them to have a look at it OR ask them for the required tools (IE buy your own) and jump on google.

its very likely that you have some grit in your pedals. disassemble them, wash and re grease thoroughly and see if it does anything. i had the same problem and it was just a bit of dirt in my pedals

anthony_coleman

Likes Bikes
i dont think its my pedals as it makes noise when im riding at low speeds sitting down with no pressure on them, and i dont think i can take apart my plastic pedals... i think there might be some sand in my bearings in the BB, is this an easy fix or something i should either replace or get the bike shop to fix?

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
You might be up for some new chainrings if they are worn too much. Does it only creak in one or two of the chainrings?

i dont think its my pedals as it makes noise when im riding at low speeds sitting down with no pressure on them, and i dont think i can take apart my plastic pedals... i think there might be some sand in my bearings in the BB, is this an easy fix or something i should either replace or get the bike shop to fix?
if theres sand in your bb you should be able to tell by taking out the spindle and seeing if theres any grit on it. if there is get an old rag and wipe the bearings and spindle thoroughly, re grease and re assemble. if you need a crank puller and dont have oe id go to the lbs, or alternatively you can be silly like me and get a rubber mallet and a towel and tap the spindle out

anthony_coleman

Likes Bikes
im riding a single speed, but i know the front one which is a 27t is very worn, i turned it around so that it was using the other side of the teeth the other day and it didnt make much difference, im looking to change to a 25t very soon, but im sure then ill need to shorten the chain (another job i dont have the tools for :)), i think ill just get a second hand bb and see how that goes...

taylorjames

Likes Bikes
Have you checked your cockpit?
I know it sounds odd, (and don't mean to sound patronising) but I thought I had creaking cranks/BB once and it was actually the headset but I thought it was the cranks because it only happened when I put a huge load on the pedals, when in fact I was yanking up on the bars when I runched hard on the pedals and the headset groaned.

Good luck
i had the exact same thing with my old bike, thought it was the cranks groaning, greased them with every spray and lube know to man, turns out the headset was a tiny bit loose causing all the noise.
:)

fingerchimp

Cannon Fodder
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

Can be all sorts, I once stripped out my headset and it turned out to be my seatpost which needed cleaning and greasing. Before I even touch my tools I just walk round my bike in a dirty rain mac asking it questions and then look at it through my hands like Monk. If that fails I tie it up in old gear cables and spray WD-40 at it.

Seriously, it's a process of elimination, and the most logical way to work is from cheapest to most expensive to fix/replace. I'm obsessed with a silent bike. Loc-tite blue on your BB threads will cure the creaks that develop in most three-piece crank set-ups over time (especially if you're as heavy as me!)

Spotty

Likes Dirt
h

Had the same trouble, so i found the chainring bolts were loose. tightened em all up, except the last one snapped on me! :( BUt luckily there was still al little allen key left so i managed to get it out.

DONT OVER TIGHTEN CHAINRING BOLTS!!

yeah chainring bolts are what holds the chainring to the crank arm. most cranks now have 4 but some old school ones have 5
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

Can be all sorts, I once stripped out my headset and it turned out to be my seatpost which needed cleaning and greasing. Before I even touch my tools I just walk round my bike in a dirty rain mac asking it questions and then look at it through my hands like Monk. If that fails I tie it up in old gear cables and spray WD-40 at it.

Seriously, it's a process of elimination, and the most logical way to work is from cheapest to most expensive to fix/replace. I'm obsessed with a silent bike. Loc-tite blue on your BB threads will cure the creaks that develop in most three-piece crank set-ups over time (especially if you're as heavy as me!)
haha im the same. i cant stand any sort of creaking or grinding on my bike!

anthony_coleman

Likes Bikes
yeah i like a silent bike too, thats why this is irritating me so much! i only have 1 chainring bolt as im running bmx drive gear, cranks and sprocket :) the noise has kinda gone away for now but has been replaced with a chain skipping noise :S which is odd because its single speed, i think its a worn out sprocket so i have a new one and new chain coming, hoping this will sort it out!