Helmets , crashing and riding alone

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Doesn't anybody watch that, and just think it was very slow and light impact on softish ground?

It's not an advertisement for helmets, it's an advertisement that something so minor can just be so unlucky and second, that the helper was right to insist on an ambulance immediately.

I've fallen and hit my head far harder than that on harder surfaces without incident (OK, not without incident, but without loss of consciousness)

Markee

Likes Dirt
If you always ride alone or remotely then seriously consider one of these www.icedot.org
My Bell Super2r comes with a sticker on my helmet which you sms a code to then number provided and it gives you all my details inc emergency contact.
When using an actual icedot, it connect to your phone and if not reset after a 'hit' it will send a signal/message to your emergency contact automatically.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've ridden with some one else about 4 times in the last ten years, all other rides are on my own, which is very much the way I like it as it's my "me time".

I am always very conscious of the fact that I (try to) ride hard and take risks. The likelihood of me axing myself with a head/neck/back/internal injury is relatively high as I suck at bikes. I always tell some one where I'm going and how long I expect to be and if they don't get an answer after the third attempt at ringing me that something is wrong.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you always ride alone or remotely then seriously consider one of these www.icedot.org
My Bell Super2r comes with a sticker on my helmet which you sms a code to then number provided and it gives you all my details inc emergency contact.
When using an actual icedot, it connect to your phone and if not reset after a 'hit' it will send a signal/message to your emergency contact automatically.
Great concept.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Never skimp on helmets folks!!
Quoted for truth.

My wife complains that I replace my helmet every year @ $AU299 a pop and every year I remind her how much time I spend riding.

I also have the experience of hitting a w-beam on a decent during the Tour of Wellington a few years ago at 75kph and my helmet saving my life (pre-wife).

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't anybody watch that, and just think it was very slow and light impact on softish ground?

It's not an advertisement for helmets, it's an advertisement that something so minor can just be so unlucky and second, that the helper was right to insist on an ambulance immediately.

I've fallen and hit my head far harder than that on harder surfaces without incident (OK, not without incident, but without loss of consciousness)
Agreeeeed.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Is annually required...? Mine tend to get repalced bi annually, can't see things degrading all that much...?

I don't buy based on price, I go on fit. If it's a medium priced helmet that fits best that's the one I get - fit is probably more important than a lot of other helmet features.

Should probably get a seperate MTB helmet though - just have the one Limar without a peak for the roadie that gets used for everything.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Is annually required...? Mine tend to get repalced bi annually, can't see things degrading all that much...?

I don't buy based on price, I go on fit. If it's a medium priced helmet that fits best that's the one I get - fit is probably more important than a lot of other helmet features.

Should probably get a seperate MTB helmet though - just have the one Limar without a peak for the roadie that gets used for everything.
Not required. I do it in part for piece of mind and also because my helmet gets torn to shit in October due to magpie strikes.

dh1

Likes Dirt
It's supposed to crush and deform, slowing deceleration. Exploding and helmets that crack are a failure to operate as designed.

Lazmo, is that bottom pic a CT or MRI slice at your chin?
I get that and really that's more what I meant in my original post (silly me). the more the helmet crushes and deforms the slow the deceleration, yes?

Moving on, I was very, very, very lucky on my Tuesday afternoon ride.
I set out about 7pm for a quick ride before it got dark, around 8pm, on my local track by myself. Within the first 50m of starting my descent I ate shit big time! Moving along at about 35km/h my bike suddenly stopped and I went over the bars face first into the ground. It was a fast and hard impact, one of the hardest I have experienced. As soon as I could I put my fingers in my mouth to count the number of teeth missing and than ran them down the side of my nose to feel how broken it was.
I didn't count any teeth missing and my nose was straight. There was no blood for the first 20-30seconds and I thought holy shit I got away with it. After 20-30seconds it started pissing down my face. I pulled out my phone, called me dad, told him what I thought my injuries were and that overall I was pretty good considering and told him where to meet me. I cant remember walking my bike out of the track, probably 75m to the road. Off we went to the hospital.

Final injury was a cut to the bridge of my nose needing 4 stitches accompanied by a 3.5 hour examination to ensure there was nothing else (much appreciated and great doctors and a cute nurse). Felt a little stiff the next couple of days in the neck and shoulders.

98% of the time I ride by myself (no one likes me) and in doing so am very aware of how fucked I could be if I wasn't conscious after a stack. I don't ride my hardest all the time but on many occasions I do, in this case I was pretty chilled out and it happened a on a really easy bit of track and I have no idea what I hit because there really isn't anything there.

That bloke in the video was lucky in two ways; 1) it wasn't as bad as it could have been and 2) there were people there.

It has made me wonder if the emergency services in my area have a detailed map of the trail system and this is something I will follow up.

Not much more to say. We all no the risks, particular riding by ourselves, everyone take as much care while having as much fun at the same time. know when to push it and when not to.
Have a great weekend.
At least I got my good stack over with early on this year so I should be good for another 6-7months yeah?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How good is it knowing you can call in the rescue team! My Dad has bailed me out a few times. Best part is the lack of "You're getting twofold for this..." that so many other people seem to think needs to be said after a crash. Really? Cool I'll join you on the couch and die from obesity then.

teK--

Eats Squid
I just use one of these it is more accessible for a first responder and also I can wear it when on other outdoor activities:

images (9).jpg

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Not sure of the device, wasn't really taking notice... but it's not my chin, it's my skull above my left eye... the sinus area.
Looks to me like the frontal sinus has collapsed, skull fracture. If so it's about the only place you'd ever want a fracture as there is two layers of skull.

If they need to repair it, its a really cool scar from ear to ear... which is great if your into scars, if not, not so great.

Without a helmet that's a fatality.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks to me like the frontal sinus has collapsed, skull fracture. If so it's about the only place you'd ever want a fracture as there is two layers of skull.

If they need to repair it, its a really cool scar from ear to ear... which is great if your into scars, if not, not so great.

Is this the one where the fold your face down to reconstruct the bones?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
That is a serious conclusion jump!

How do you know that that the helmet helped? Let alone that it helped enough to prevent a fatal head injury?

I wouldn't be bothered for most people here, buy you MWI, are usually pretty careful about solid conclusions on very limited data. The clear and obvious possibility, given the damage to the helmet, is the vents if they break laterally, can concentrate the load on a single point (the remaining largest body of polystyrene remaining) - fracture seems to be aligned with the frontal edge of the helmet.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but merely could have happened - ie there is no way there is enough information to make a strong assumption either way.

What I do know, is every time this subject comes up there are a whole heap of people who claim to have had their lives saved by their helmet (hell, I know 2 people personally), yet cycling fatalities have reduced versus cyclists by a reasonable amount, but not by 90%. Given I don't know anyone who has been killed, but I know at least a couple who claim to have been saved, I suspect we greatly over estimate their effectiveness (maybe people, like to feel like their decision to wear a XYZ helmet protected them )

Hell, people will ascribe their alternative medicine as curing their cancer, while ignoring the scientific based treatment they're received

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yeah, I had three options…

Within 6 days… do an incision over the sinus and pull the dent… or an ear to ear peel my face off, pull the dent, then put my face back on.

Or just leave it.

I chose the later.

As for whether the helmet saved my life… I’m not sure, although I am definitely alive.

Part of me wonders whether the helmet disintegrating directly over the fracture caused the fracture.

Part of me wonders whether the helmet disintegrating directly over the fracture saved my life.

Don’t know… but I think helmets are good.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You sure this life you think you're living isn't just a long dream?

;)

At least you were smart enough to go to hospital, I managed what would have been considered a severe head injury (CSF drained out of my nose following head strike) and didn't bother with a dr let alone a hospital - she'll be right mate, just need a panadol and a good lie down......, so we all get a bit of luck now and then....