Helmet Cams

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Actually thinking about getting the Drift 1080p now as it seems to have all the features of the Go Pro while being a little bit cheaper and not sticking out from the helmet like a dog's bollocks. I've been looking at the sample footage off it and it looks amazing even with You Tube compression. Man I love that urban DH race they do in South America:

http://driftinnovation.com/video/vca-2012-full-video/

Last edited:
DO NOT buy a Contour... They have the worst after sale service on the planet...

I have the Contour and my mate has the Go Pro.. I went for the Contour due to looks however i reackon the Go Pro has better quality videos
Ozimad what was your after sales service problem with Contour?

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Also, what's the difference between the Hero "Naked" at $250 and the "Hero 2" at $400? Is 11megapixels vs 5mp worth $150?
"Naked" means it's a camera and housing. No extra stuff, just one sticky mount. The new ones do look nice, they have a wider angle lens on them, more FPS options, better photo modes, just a bunch more options over the Hero. We have 2 Hero 1s, if we needed more we'd definately go for the Hero2. There's all sorts of wifi & app controls if you're into that kind of thing too. There's a vid on YT of it with Ryan Scheckler showcasing the app ability. There's a head strap you can get which means the camera doesn't need to stick out the side of your head too...

It's not just the videos tho, if you crash you want the camera to still work ! GoPro's claim to be bombproof... We're not gentle with ours and they're in perfect working order.

Luke.Z

Likes Bikes
$400? Where are you getting that from? I got a HD Hero 2 Motorports in the first week it was out in Aus for only $310... Shop around a bit more and compare prices with other stores, they will drop the price nearly $100.

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Ozimad what was your after sales service problem with Contour?
There was the issue of bad picture quality. I noticed there were many users experiencing the same issue when i got on their forum.
The bit that annoyed me was whenever i made a post on their forum about the negatives of this issue my post would get deleted as if they were trying to hide the fault from other potential buyers.

In my opinion a great company is one that accepts their issues and works towards fixing them rather than hidding from it.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to throw my 2 cents in the mix, I personally have the Contour 1080 HD bullet style head cam and I love the quality of the picture and its super easy to use, the bar mount is reasonably decent (however needs duct tape to secure properly so it doesnt shake) and the waterproof case is great.

However in saying that....my next camera will be a GoPro if only for the chest mount! Have seen some insane footage (mainly of moto riders) using the chest mount (which is not available for the Contour).

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Just to throw my 2 cents in the mix, I personally have the Contour 1080 HD bullet style head cam and I love the quality of the picture and its super easy to use, the bar mount is reasonably decent (however needs duct tape to secure properly so it doesnt shake) and the waterproof case is great.
Not sure if i would call something decent that needs duct tape to function as its meant to

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
I'm just waiting for someone to bring out a HD camera that does more than 30fps/1080, I'm looking for 60fps or better for smooth flowing vision.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
$400? Where are you getting that from? I got a HD Hero 2 Motorports in the first week it was out in Aus for only $310... Shop around a bit more and compare prices with other stores, they will drop the price nearly $100.
Most retailers are selling them for $380 - $400, after hunting around the cheapest I can find is $335. Open to any top tips on where I might find one cheaper.

Has anyone tried the Drift? Surely it's an obvious contender to the Go Pro. Having an LCD viewfinder and remote control are tipping the balance for me at the moment, but I'm open to being convinced the Hdero 2 is the superior device. I wouldn't use a chest mount, all the footage I've seen is waay too shakey.

boofy

Likes Bikes
if it wasnt extremely expensive, i would upgrade my contour hd 1080p to the new top of the line contour hd plus (silver one) these are the best available helmet camera on the market.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was the issue of bad picture quality. I noticed there were many users experiencing the same issue when i got on their forum.
The bit that annoyed me was whenever i made a post on their forum about the negatives of this issue my post would get deleted as if they were trying to hide the fault from other potential buyers.

In my opinion a great company is one that accepts their issues and works towards fixing them rather than hidding from it.
Might be that you went through wrong channels. Dont get me wrong the contour i have is not without some issues but i have had excellent customer service. I got mine from an ebay seller then had a issue with the power button not functioning. I emailed my problem to contour support and even though the camera was 6 months out of warranty they have shipped me a new camera. I can fault thier service at all. However in terms of reliabilty, given the choice again i would go for a Gopro. Just my 2c.

Not sure what forum you where on ozi however if you need help let us know, where not interested in getting into the contour v go pro fan bot debate however we are more than happy to help all customers let us know.

Thanks

Sanfran

Squid
I borrowed my mates contour and would have got one except the specs I wanted was only available in the contour plus. Too many dollars.

The gopro is good but I don't want to wear a letter box on my helemt.

I got the drift hd. It had all the specs, 1080P 170 deg field of vision @ 30 frames per second, also 720P 135 deg FOV @ 60 fps and everything in between(ish). This can all be set on the camera, no attachemnts, internet link ups or phone apps. You can view and delete footage all on the camers too. It mounts solid and slim, no letter box!

The only down side to it (well all of them) is I had to get a new laptop! The old girl could not handle all the info from HD video. So a new cam, mounts, new laptop (good spec) and adobe premiere elements to edit it all with. Expensive!! Worth it....? Still debating.

I have taken out the Go Pro a couple of times on the single track.

We mount it to the helmet, seat and the handlebar.

I found the seat and handlebar work best

You won't be dissapointed!

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
The only down side to it (well all of them) is I had to get a new laptop! The old girl could not handle all the info from HD video. So a new cam, mounts, new laptop (good spec) and adobe premiere elements to edit it all with. Expensive!! Worth it....? Still debating.
Yep! I recently upgraded to a GoPro HD2, awesome camera for under $400!! But eventually the costs add up, I also had to buy new computer and editing software.

For me it was worth it cause I make surf vids on a semi-professional level... And its nice to be able to make HD mtb vids now.

pmitch

Likes Bikes
The GoPro HD HERO2 is the way to go if you want to mount to your bike. If you want to mount to your helmet, the Contour is better, as it is lower profile. If you want GPS then the Contour is also the only camera on the market at present that can do this.

The new GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac is pretty awesome. I tested my demo one while riding at You Yangs on the weekend. I could start and stop the camera, change it into photo mode and back to video mode without having to stop. It will be even better when the app comes out. I will be able to stream the ride live on the internet. (as long as I have pretty good service and a massive data limit on my phone)

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Got one of the Sony ones in the post at the moment.
Looks the goods with WiFi control/streaming, 1080p recording and long battery life. Will definitely let you all know when I get it.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Got one of the Sony ones in the post at the moment.
Looks the goods with WiFi control/streaming, 1080p recording and long battery life. Will definitely let you all know when I get it.
Here we go:
[video=youtube_share;3tlqMLPqnCQ]http://youtu.be/3tlqMLPqnCQ[/video]