Heart rate zones

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I performed a search both here and on the web in general. There is so much information on this its mind boggling! not to mention the amount of conflicting information.

So, I have a specific question to ask and hope the learned can answer simply.

My HR max is 180. I'm about to do an enduro event. I believe I need to stay in the ' aerobic zone' so I dont blow up and make the distance.

Based on my max, what approx numbers should I try to constrain myself to? 150, 160?

Many thanks

Timbers

Likes Dirt
What test did you do to get your max HR? I ask this as 180 is quite low and I hope you didnt do the old 220 minus age??? its really, really ,really inaccurate! ...................did I mention its really inaccurate?:)

akashra

Eats Squid
Depends on your goals. There's a number of different methods - I can pull out the rest of them when I get home. The main ones I work with are as follows, and the Friel zones:
50-64% = Rest
65-74% = E1
75-84% = E2
85-92% = E3
93-100% = VO2
SE1 = 70-80%
SE2 = 80-90%

The Friel zones I use are as follows (you might have to copy/paste this into a spreadsheet for it to make sense):

1 Zone 2 Zone 3 Zone 4 Zone 5a Zone 5b Zone 5c Zone
Active Recovery Extensive Endurance Intensive Endurance Threshold Training Threshold Training VO2max Intervals Anaerobic Repetitions
144 144 - 158 158 - 165 165 - 175 176 - 179 180 - 184 190
Friel are based on LTHR - though these figures need going up a notch for me, as they were based on when I had a few weeks off so my LT dropped a bit.

If your MHF is around 180, then your zones I'd guess would be approx:
Code:
137	137		150	150		156	157		167	167		170	170		175	180
But yeah, you want to try to properly determine your MHR and LTHR - formulas like 220-age are so rubbish it's not funny.

If you're really keen and like playing with expensive gadgets, you can throw away HR zones altogether and just train on critical power zones using a power meter :D

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets not get into the HR testing debate again.
I started inadvertadly a massive argument arouund this topic a couple of months ago, Im thinking around august so try the archives it should be there

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
What test did you do to get your max HR? I ask this as 180 is quite low and I hope you didnt do the old 220 minus age??? its really, really ,really inaccurate! ...................did I mention its really inaccurate?:)
I know, I know, but...

180 is the max I have ever got to in the last 4 months. I have a decent HRM and have been using it religiously. Try as I might, 180 is where I top out.

Akashra, thanks.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
All good mate, just wanted to check you had all the correct info before you set your zones, I am 31 and my max is 208 so the 220 minus theory is BS!

Good luck, other than overlaying with power meter data its the best way to keep tabs on how you are going.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
My HR max is 180. I'm about to do an enduro event. I believe I need to stay in the ' aerobic zone' so I dont blow up and make the distance.

Based on my max, what approx numbers should I try to constrain myself to? 150, 160?
So, everyone's pointed out that the numbers are unique to you - not just your Max HR, but the %MHR which will let you ride for N hours. Also bear in mind:

As you're doing a long event, you'll notice that as the hours progress and you get tired, your max achievable HR goes down. While in the first hour you could sprint up a hill and ping up to 180, in the eighth hour the same effort may only get you to 160.

I've noticed some 24hr racers set off at a cracking pace (that I can't even hold for 10 minutes), and slow down as the night sets in. Others set off at a slower pace, and 20 hours later aren't going much slower than when they started.

I think you need to listen to your whole body, not just your heart. Thinking about nutrition, hydration, and the resulting effects like cramps, mental fatigue etc are all at least as important as your heart rate.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I've noticed some 24hr racers set off at a cracking pace (that I can't even hold for 10 minutes), and slow down as the night sets in. Others set off at a slower pace, and 20 hours later aren't going much slower than when they started.
24hr things is more about tactics and mental games than anything. It seems the two main strategies that go around are push till the other man breaks then settle into things, or take the tortoise approach and go at a pace you know you can endure. All depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are really.

I think you need to listen to your whole body, not just your heart. Thinking about nutrition, hydration, and the resulting effects like cramps, mental fatigue etc are all at least as important as your heart rate.
Having the numbers can be handy, but after a while you'll get used to what your body can hack. If nothing else, use DaGonz's patented HuffenPuffen metric...

Sucking your Stem: Max
Can talk, but with laboured breath: Above Lactate threshold
Can talk ok, some moderate puff'n: about Lactate Threshold
Can hold a conversation fine: about or below LT
Doth quote ye famous Bard: lower endurance
The Hills are alive with the sound of music: recovery

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

milux

Likes Dirt
I use the basic heart rate cal to get my max and then use a basic idea from the polar website of 70%-80% Green Moderate intensity, 80%-90% Orange Hard intensity and 90%-100% Red Maxintensity.
Doing 6Hr+ or 100Km+ rides i try and stay between 75%-85% for the first half, maybe a nudge to 90+% on a big climb.
I find that this gives me the energy to come home hard and pass all those young bulls:D