Hatch back bike rack solutions

james9625

Likes Bikes
i have heard rumours of people making bike racks for hatchbacks that are able to carry 4 bikes, with the front wheels on the roof back wheel on lower boot. i have see the bike racks that go on your back window but i haven't really heard many good things about them unless you want to get a lightweight roadie or just a town bike around. I'm wanting to have something suitable for downhill/all mountain bikes.

I don't have a tow-bar on my car on my car either so unless i get one put on the crank holding racks aren't going to work. Although at this stage it looks like it might need to be done that way.

just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a bike rack for a hatch back. or has done something themselves?
also just to make it a little harder, im on a uni budget, so something cheapish that will work. If it wasnt for the uni budget a ute/larger car would be the best and easiest solution.
any help would be much appreciated.
cheers James.

redbruce

Eats Squid
i have heard rumours of people making bike racks for hatchbacks that are able to carry 4 bikes, with the front wheels on the roof back wheel on lower boot. i have see the bike racks that go on your back window but i haven't really heard many good things about them unless you want to get a lightweight roadie or just a town bike around. I'm wanting to have something suitable for downhill/all mountain bikes.

I don't have a tow-bar on my car on my car either so unless i get one put on the crank holding racks aren't going to work. Although at this stage it looks like it might need to be done that way.

just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a bike rack for a hatch back. or has done something themselves?
also just to make it a little harder, im on a uni budget, so something cheapish that will work. If it wasnt for the uni budget a ute/larger car would be the best and easiest solution.
cheers James.
Assuming you have a common sort of vehicle, consider getting a second hand tow bar from the wreckers and fitting it yourself.

That puts the weight where it is designed to be.

Other wise there are a number of DH worthy roof mounts available (but $$$)

ChopSticks

Banned

cheers James.

without a towball/hitch... I honestly wouldn't be lugging DH bikes on any of those rear strap mounted racks
have the worst (ebay cheapy) and also tried the best, Saris bones 3.
you'll be lucky to mount 2 trails ones on there... let alone 2 DH bikes on a 3 bike version!!!

as mentioned.... you're better off sourcing a 2nd hand towball from the wreckers.... not so much for cost reason... but purely for safety!!

if you set on a rear mounted rack, check out the thule 9003 raceway..... its a strap mounted carrier that actually holds the bikes at the wheels like a conventional rear rack.
recall it costing $500~...... and saw a used one on ebay for $350.... so if you're patient... keep an eye on fleabay!

newish

Squid
Get a proper tow ball rack or roof mount dude.
I got one of those JetBlack 3 bike trunk racks and its horrible. Used it once to carry my 29er for about an hour. So much bouncing around on flat roads. Lucky i and put extra foam between the car and rack to stop it scratching the car.

james9625

Likes Bikes
Have you had a look at the "show us your rack" thread? Might find some info/ideas there.
okay i will go and have a look at that, i had no idea it existed thanks mate

Assuming you have a common sort of vehicle, consider getting a second hand tow bar from the wreckers and fitting it yourself.

That puts the weight where it is designed to be.

Other wise there are a number of DH worthy roof mounts available (but $$$)
i think this might be the best option i will have to do some searching in car yards by the sounds of things

Thanks for the help to guys