Hard tail advice

travvyB

Likes Dirt
Burners,

I'm thinking of changing it up a bit in terms of riding and giving XC a go instead of riding DH all the time. My question to you all is, can you recommend a decent hard tail that I can purchase? My price range is max $800, and it must have hydraulic brakes (although I could fit them later if I had to). Any advice/recommendations would very much be appreciated. I want to buy through a LBS and not online too.

Cheers, Trav

suktrona

Likes Bikes
Burners,

I'm thinking of changing it up a bit in terms of riding and giving XC a go instead of riding DH all the time. My question to you all is, can you recommend a decent hard tail that I can purchase? My price range is max $800, and it must have hydraulic brakes (although I could fit them later if I had to). Any advice/recommendations would very much be appreciated. I want to buy through a LBS and not online too.

Cheers, Trav
I recently went through the same process, my mates had all gone out and bought AM/XC bikes and left DH alone for the time being, if you insist on going new I would have a look at a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (were down to $649 for the 2012 model from my lbs) the only other things I found for that sub 1k price range were some offerings by GT in the form of Avalanche 3.0 Disc (also $649) and a mongoose or two (tyax), I went in store had a look, they're all fairly low spec (as you'd expect for the price) and not that light but will probably get you going. In the end I bit the bullet and did a proper job, spent a bit more, bought a commencal frame and built it up, and I havent looked back. I understand the want to spend minimal incase you dont end up riding it much but chances are, if you buy something that works right in the first place youll probably be more inclined to ride it anyways.. my two cents, let us know how it works out.

chonox

Likes Dirt
Maybe look for a Giant Talon or XTC clearance floor stock if you're deadset on buying new, they go alright.

Decent spec for the price on this polygon, free delivery and also return policy if you don't like it I think, better check: http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/20...ountain-bike-shimano-deore-slx-20-speed-29er/

2nd hand opens up so much more better options, an example of being a savvy rotorburner could you net you something similar to this: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...st-(or-how-cheap-can-you-make-an-xc-hardtail)

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
For Sale section is usually worth a look if you're budget tight. Most HTs that are under $800 generally have pretty rubbish forks on them.

travvyB

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys. The Polygons look pretty good for what you pay. However I jumped onto a Specialized dealer website in Sydney and there's a pretty nice looking rockhopper for $899. Bit over my budget but its acceptable. Might have to go have a test ride and see what its like! Will also have a troll of the for sale section now and see if anything catches my eye. Thanks again.