H2O Brakes

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I'm just surprised they aren't marketing them as Eco Brakes that will reduce carbon footprints :der:
From the manufacturer site:

BFO H2O – Why water?

Why not?! Water has a higher thermal capacity and lower thermal expansion. As such, a higher resistance to thermal distortion can be achieved. In addition, there is no need to replace the brake fluid, meaning no pollution of the environment and no oil spills in case of tumbles. With a 20% glycol proportion, winter is no obstacle either.

Yeah. Dirty hippies.

MARKL

Eats Squid
From the manufacturer site:

BFO H2O – Why water?

Why not?! Water has a higher thermal capacity and lower thermal expansion. As such, a higher resistance to thermal distortion can be achieved. In addition, there is no need to replace the brake fluid, meaning no pollution of the environment and no oil spills in case of tumbles. With a 20% glycol proportion, winter is no obstacle either.

Yeah. Dirty hippies.
I read the 20% glycol as being optional for winter conditions :noidea:so you can still go full enviro mode with pure water...not sure if you count the ambulance ride in your enviromental calcs.

Speaks volumes that a product has been out for a couple of years and you can't find a independent review...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would like to see the data. If the water doesn't reach boiling point then it will work. Also in a closed system if it approaches boiling the pressure will increase which also raises the boiling point (this is how industry make high temp steam). It would be really reasonable to assume the fittings are capable of well over 10barg so temp will be in excess of 160 degrees for boiling.

If they cannot crack 90 degrees outside a lab then it works............ Ahh no lets just armchair it and compare to a car/motorbike and declare it shit.
I would like to see data too, they may be great. But apart from the odd industry specific innovation I have not found MTB's to be special or warrant more than a KISS approach. That and my growing cynicism of the bike industry's ability to generate sh1t means occam's razor always applies until proven otherwise.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I would like to see data too, they may be great. But apart from the odd industry specific innovation I have not found MTB's to be special or warrant more than a KISS approach. That and my growing cynicism of the bike industry's ability to generate sh1t means occam's razor always applies until proven otherwise.
Yeah the ability for the bike industry to generate shit still amazes me somehow. But I guess they make good money convincing gumbies that an upgrade of a particular compont will make up for their severe lack of ability.