AM GT Trail bikes retro rewind

jbg

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd post up a couple of my GT's a 2014 Sensor Expert carbon and a 1995 RTS-1

Separated by 19 years these bikes share the same D.N.A and were built for the same purpose - riding trails and having fun!
When I saw the 2014 GT line up last year it was like déjà vu. Around 1994 I was looking at glossy pics and reading reviews of the GT RTS in Mountain Bike Action and Australian Mountain Bike, a do it all fully suspended mountain bike with a rocker activated shock and a high pivot point...... and there I was 20 years later looking at a very familiar looking bike on Pinkbike.

Bought the Sensor at the start of the year and absolutely love it. My first ride on 27.5 and my first dually since 2008 and it blows me away how good new generation of trail bikes are.

Frame - 2014 GT Sensor Expert Carbon
Rear shock - Fox Float CTD
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Pike 150mm
Handlebars - Enve RSR
Stem - Enve 75mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - Odi Ruffian lock-on
Saddle - Flite Titanium
Seatpost - Enve 34.9
Front brake - XT
Rear brake - XT
Cranks - Race Face Evolve
Chain - XTR
Pedals - XT Trail
Rear derailleur - XT
Rear shifter - XTR
Cassette - XT 11-36
Hubs - GT somethings?
Rims - WTB STi23
Spokes - DT comp s/s
Nipples - Brass
Tyres - Continental X-King 2.2 r 2.4 f
Tubes - yes
Total weight - 11.1kg

This is the ancestor to the Sensor and any old GT fanboys out there know all about these.
As a kid riding in Cairns in the 90's the RTS was "THE" bike and regularly seen hurtling downhill or launching big air, those guys rode em hard.
This ones had a much easier life.

Frame - 1995 GT RTS-1
Rear shock - Noleen
Front shock/fork - Rock shox Judy XC with Englund Total Air Cartridges
Handlebars - Titec Bontrager Titanium
Stem - Syncros Cattlehead 130mm
Headset - Tioga Alchemy A-head
Grips - Ame GT logo
Saddle - Flite Titanium
Seatpost - Syncros 27.0
Brakes - XT Cantilever
Cranks - XT
Chain - HG60
Pedals - XT737
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - XT
Front shifter - XT
Rear shifter - XT
Cassette - XT 11-32
Hubs - XT Paralax
Rims - Mavic 217 gold anodized
Spokes - DT
Tyres - Onza Agro
Tubes - of course
Total weight - tbc

Been a fan of GT's since the early 90's They lost their way for a while but they have really got it back together this year. The new bikes are killer and I'd recommend one to anyone thinking of getting one.

Attachments

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Nice, always loved the RTS, been looking for one for a while. I have been riding a Kona Sex Too around and it's lots of fun. Have a 98 Zaskar LE almost ready to go which should be even more fun.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2907/14687210523_7be20fe6f2_b.jpg[img]

[ATTACH]295428.vB[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Last edited:

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
How do you find the Sensor with a 150mm fork considering they're only 130mm standard? I've been considering a Pike for mine but I was going to lower to 140.

Also, no dropper post?? I use mine non-stop.

edit: lack of dropper post helps explain the light weight though!

Last edited:

jbg

Likes Dirt
How do you find the Sensor with a 150mm fork considering they're only 130mm standard? I've been considering a Pike for mine but I was going to lower to 140.

Also, no dropper post?? I use mine non-stop.

edit: lack of dropper post helps explain the light weight though!
Yea the 150mm pike match it perfect and feels more in sync with the rear. when I rode the sektors they were over shadowed by the rear in performance and in stiffness, definitely more balanced now.

As for the dropper I'm not anti-dropper or a weight weenie but just find I don't need one.

Without a dropper post and NW up front I lost a couple of cables. the stock cable guides are these alloy clamps that kind of crush your cables/hoses into place and are designed for 4 cables so I replaced them with some nylon p-clips.

Attachments

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
Nice, looks pretty tidy.

I've gone for a NW ring on mine too, but I've got a dropper so there's still 3 cables/hoses running down there.

Good feedback regarding the Pikes. Mine is a Pro so it's got a Fox 32 but it's not great either, definitely considering the same upgrade.