GT Sensor

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been looking at the 2010 GT Sensor (probably the 1) online and it looks like a great bike, great spec for price and a nice looking thing to boot.

But, has anyone here ridden one to know how it goes? And weight (no sites seemed to have weight details)?

I am looking for a 5-inch trail bike that pedals well up hills and on the flats, but can take a bit of rougher stuff (ie general trail downhills, jumps and rocky sections, not full-on DH stuff) as well.

mimps

Likes Dirt
Meta 5

I ride a Commencal meta 5, pretty happy with it. Take a look. i think mine weights 13.5 kg.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Fuel EX? Trance X?

Edit: Take a few bikes for a test ride. By test ride, I mean a proper ride, off road, on trails you normally ride. Any shop worth their salt will have a demo bike available.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Cash for comment anouncement. I am a Gt dealer...

The sensors are due in OZ mid December (last estimate I got)

They take over from the Al Marathons which took over from the i drives...

Both the i drives and the Marathons were great bikes (I ride a carbon marathon and love it)
so I would expect no less out of the Sensor.

The only thing I would say is that the pivots do need a bit of love and care (It seems more so on the carbon frames.) with a regular bit of lube and a retighten

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
I have read a couple of reviews online which were favourable. Also read in Mountain Bike Action that they enjoyed a pre-release ride and came away very impressed, they said they really looked forward to a proper thrashing once it is released to the public.

For what it's worth, i ride an '08 Marathon 2.0 and that weighed in at 13kg stock standard. That was for a Large frame also. I reckon the Sensor will be around that figure too.

I do think the Sensor looks awesome though..

Ivan

Eats Squid
The only thing I would say is that the pivots do need a bit of love and care (It seems more so on the carbon frames.) with a regular bit of lube and a retighten
So the squeking some people complain of is just a maintenance issue? I ask because I looked at buying a Sanction, but a few threads on MTBR put me off. I figure you've probably maintained a few if your a dealer. :D

indica

Serial flasher
I ride a GT Force 3 that I purchased this year.
Changed the suspension as I bought the base model, but the bike is amazing.
Seemingly very little bob, yet comfortably eats all the bumps.
I am a downhiller at heart and thrash the bike hard, 3 times a week, and it keeps going.
Great stuff, highly recommend the i-drive design.

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
I ride a GT Force 1. I'm guessing the sensor will be much the same, just 5 inches of travel as opposed to the 6.

My Force does everything, I recently rode the Bright 6 hour solo on it and had a great time. Sure 6 inches is probably overkill for an enduro but it did the job and did it well. The bike is light enough so why not use it for enduros.

The suspension linkages do need some TLC however. I never let dirt and mud accumulate around the linkages. The occasions where I do let a build up occur there are some noticable creaking sounds that occur. But a clean and oil (once clean and dry I add a small amount of chain lube around the linkages) resolves the creaking.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Man, I am so glad someone else is looking at these too.

I have actually preordered one. But in the meantime I havent been able to find any information on them. weight etc. So I ended looking at 2 others. The Giant anthem X1 and the Cannondale Rz One tewnty 2.

Its so hard to make a decision on these.

what I would say is.... I cant belive that a Trance X1 or Anthem X1 can give you tubless XT rims whilst the GT comed with WTB speeddisc. This is a little concerning to me.

The rest I would say is almost identicle in spec.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what I would say is.... I cant belive that a Trance X1 or Anthem X1 can give you tubless XT rims whilst the GT comed with WTB speeddisc. This is a little concerning to me.

The rest I would say is almost identicle in spec.
I am also quite surprised about the rims, particularly on an XT hub. I wonder what it would cost to get a tubeless rim swapped out?

It seems odd that they are supposed to be in stores in December here, but not even US sites seem to have any weight details.