Gt-rts.

trailsnail

Likes Dirt

I have recently finished restoring a GT-RTS, So I thought i would throw up a picture and some specs for anybody interested in older mtb's.

Frame - GT-RTS. 7005 aluminium. 18 inch seat tube. I think it's 1994?
Rear shock - Noleen.
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox - Mag21, With purple lizzard skins.
Handlebars - Flat Black ones.
Stem - Zoom - 70mm reach,45deg rise,1-1/8 inch threadless.
Headset - Aheadset - Threadless 1-1/8 inch threadless.
Grips - Black ones.
Saddle - Selle san marco, fox foam gel.
Seatpost - Kalloy
Front brake - Shimano STX.
Rear brake - Shimano STX.
Cranks - Shimano FC AT10. 28t,38t,48t Chainrings, 170mm arms.
Chain - Shimano HG.
Pedals - Plastic.
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore LX
Rear derailleur - Shimano Exage 400LX.
Front shifter - Shimano STX, 3-Spd.
Rear shifter -Shimano STX 7-Spd
Cassette - Shimano 12t-28t 7-Spd.
Front hub - Shimano Exage - HB RM50, 32h.
Rear hub - Shimano Exage - FH HB 50, 36h.
Front rim - Araya - 26x1.50HE RX-7, 32h.
Rear rim - Araya - 26x1.50HE RX-7, 36h.
Spokes - Steel.
Nipples - Brass.
Tyres - Hutchinson - Coyote, 26x2.1 F+R.
Tubes - Regular.
Total weight - 13.6Kg. Im not sure how accurate this is, I weighed myself with and without the bike on the bathroom scales and just posted the difference.

I have tried to keep most of the parts in my build from the early to mid 90's as I wanted to restore the bike rather than upgrade it.

Jaow

Likes Bikes
Nice work!

Congrats mate - that is a really nice restoration! You've done well with the vintage drivetrain - much better than putting current parts on. The STX stuff brings some memories back - I used to have a Trek hardtail decked out with it but could never get the canti brakes to work well. Are the Mag 21s working okay?

I'm imagining future upgrades along the lines of a set of Onza clipless pedals (or perhaps old Shimano M737s), a Syncros stem/seatpost and maybe one of those old leather Flite saddles!

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
The mag21's work perfect, they still hold air.
The thing that amazes me the most is how well a 7 speed drivetrain works,
I can't remember ever having gears that work that well. Perfect shifts every time in both directions.
The canti brakes have no stoping power at all when compared to a disc, But it adds to the ride.
Bad brakes changes your riding style, There is alot more planning involved.
I took it out to nerang forrest the other day and just played around on some of the single tracks near the start.
I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time I was out.

Im not sure what will be upgraded next, Im happy with it for now but i guess ebay will temp me in the future.

Thanks for the interest in my restoration.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Nice bike you have there. A mate use to have an RTS about 14 years ago when we were getting into riding so it brings back good memories. I use to dream about having the Mag 21's but our budgets back then only extended to Quadra 5's. Enjoy the retro riding :)

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
love it,

potentially the upgrade id look at would be some old school V brakes

Xt's or XTRs with levers would be sweet, used to rock my world back in the day :)

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
I use to dream about having the Mag 21's but our budgets back then only extended to Quadra 5's.:)
That is a big part of why I decided to fix it up, When the RTS was new I could never afford one, but I always wanted one. (I wanted one of the purple RTS-3's)

I was at the local markets one day, and I saw this RTS burried in a massive pile of bikes. It was looking a bit haggard but I got it anyway.

It was an impulsive buy... but I had to have it.
Now she is all fixed up Im happy with my purchace.