GT rider, Brisbane

ZaskarBandit

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I've been mountain biking irregularly for a few years now (generally stuck to my road bikes) but this has ramped up considerably in the past few months so I thought I better join up and say hello

I ride a '94 GT Avalanche that I built up from a frame I got for a song with a shredded BB jammed in the shell. At the time I was more concerned about having something that worked rather than something that worked well so I've been slowly upgrading to something thats generally pretty capable.

I generally ride Daisy hill area, so feel free to say hello. I wear some pretty spectacular Carrera Sunglasses, I'm not hard to miss.

Regards,

Lloyd

DSCF2314(2).jpg

stirk

Burner
Hey Lloyd

Nice to see some purple anno back on the forum ;)

What is that nice looking shell behind the bike?

ZaskarBandit

Likes Bikes
looks like a bad gt40 kit?
Wash your mouth out! haha
Its actually a 1969 Lotus Europa body, waiting to be reunited with it's recently overhauled chassis. Just gotta find the time between assignments to put it's engine back together and it'll be good to go!

Might have a bit of trouble fitting the bike in it though...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Wash your mouth out! haha
Its actually a 1969 Lotus Europa body, waiting to be reunited with it's recently overhauled chassis. Just gotta find the time between assignments to put it's engine back together and it'll be good to go!

Might have a bit of trouble fitting the bike in it though...
apologies, dangers of one eyed iphone viewing when I had just woken up

ZaskarBandit

Likes Bikes
apologies, dangers of one eyed iphone viewing when I had just woken up
Don't mention it.

Fun GT40/Lotus Europa fact: When Ford decided they would crush Ferrari at Le Mans they basically put to tender the design of the car. Lotus came back with a sketch by Ron Hickman (the designer of the black and decker workmate but I digress) which ford ultimately refused in favour of the design Lola had put forward which was significantly more advanced at the time. However seeing an opportunity Lotus used these GT40 prototype sketches as the basis for the Lotus Europa which he put into production with a Renault 16 engine.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've only ever seen a Europa on track, never up close and personal. What engine are you using?

A good mates father built a no expense spared gt40 last year, amazing cars.

ZaskarBandit

Likes Bikes
It was a non runner when I bought it so the standard 1470cc Renault 16 which was badly corroded is getting replaced with a rebuilt 16 TS engine, 1565cc and a cross flow head. Much better engine and bolts pretty much straight in. I'm yet to drive it but I've been assured of their brilliance by several former Europa owners.

I've seen a couple of genuine GT40s run at the Leyburn sprints over the years. Absolutely awesome machines.