Grip sport problems

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Hey folks

We bought a 3 bike grip sport rack a while ago and are having trouble trying to fit three bikes on it.

It seems that when we place the third on the pedals from it end up rubbing on the 2nd bikes lower main frame tube.

The middle pedal slot looks slightly out of line but it does not look to bad so I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and solved them.

Cheers

John

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Post up some pics!

Can you take the pedals off, or does the carrier use these to hold the bikes on? If you can take them off, this would be the easiest solution.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Have you contacted Grip? Hes on these forums or you could just call him, I reckon hes probably the most qualified to help you out......

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
We can take the pedals off but that would be a bit annoying as we use it for uplifts.

My friend has it so I will get him to post some pics up soon.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 3 bike carrier does the same thing, depends on the pedals/which bike we put in the third slot. Some rub, others are just far enough away from the frame. Usually wrap the pedal in a old rag I use for grease and what not when cleaning the bike. Though I do agree that the third bike's placement does seem to be a bit to close and it would be better a bit further out.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
I managed to pre fab a rubber spacer that lifts the middle bike up somewhat (Clarks Rubber for $7). The tubes that your cranks slide into have a massive amount of depth that can be filled with rubber. Keeps the middle inside pedal away and above the other bikes.
This is going to sound silly but considering each bike has a different geo you may find re ordering whos bike goes where can make a significant change as does lowering/raising seat post hights? Easier than stripping pedal threads.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Stick an old stubbie holder over the offending pedal...cost...mmm free??? Time? 2-3 seconds? Done

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys

We went out again today and had to take a pedal off two of the bikes for reach uplift. A stubby holder simply wouldnt work as they are much to close together. We tried re-aranging the bikes but no luck.

I'l let you know how we get on as i think something more permanent needs sorted out.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Not too sure,

Im going to meet with my mate this week and we can discuss ideas to fix it

I reckon we may need to remove the third crank holder and reweld it elsewhere

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Have you spoken to Grip at all? Seems that maybe this particular one may have been assembled incorrectly? You have paid top dollar for a premium product, im sure he will be happy to help you out.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Have you spoken to Grip at all? Seems that maybe this particular one may have been assembled incorrectly? You have paid top dollar for a premium product, im sure he will be happy to help you out.
Damn right he'll be happy to help! In fact he would have been here sooner, but he's so busy nowadays he doesn't get the chance to trawl Rotorburn as often as he used to. But he's at work 6 days a week so people only ever need to call him. Now why is he acting like a fool and talking in the third person???????

Speedy, can you shoot me a photo of your carrier FROM THE SIDE and FROM THE REAR. email to jon@gripsport.com.au and you're welcome to phone me too (03) 94662553. Rest easy... we'll sort it for you ASAP one way or another.

Cheers

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I love when a plan comes together ;) (if we are going with the whole A team vibe that i randomly picked up on...or it may just be in my head...)

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip. So good to people and so easy to work with!
dont even need to say anything and he is still onto it!