GoPro 4 Silver vs Sony Action Cam vs any others..

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Considering a mini cam for Christmas and the GoPro 4 Silver looks like a nice bit of gear, but the Sony looks to have better video with the stabilisation. Prefer GoPro mounts/shape but like how the Sony mounts on the side of a helmet.
Who has what and what do you love/hate about it? Of the two, which would you prefer and if neither, what's the best in your opinion? And lastly, do you use it enough to justify the cost?

Thanks, folks.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
While I use neither of the mentioned cameras, I have been using a GoPro alternative... SJCAM SJ4000.
Only $100... looks like a GoPro, comes with waterproof case and just about any mount you can think of (tripod and chest rig sold separate), and is compatible with GoPro mounts, etc.

It's great value if all you need is 1080p/30fps.

If I had to choose from the two listed, I'd just get a GoPro, purely because of how versatile it is compared to most other action cams.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
The sony does alright, but the mounts are an absolute pain in the ass. The mounting screw is so far back that it wobbles around so bad that the image stabilization does nothing. Also it is only digital IS not mechanical, which basically just reduces your field of view. The GoPro will also have a much better sensor and therefore much better imaging, this is the one thing that gives it such an advantage over the rest of the market even though it may not match the specs of other brands. I have the sony and dont have any problems with whatsoever for how i use it, however i also believe silver edition is a waste of money, if i was going to get any gopro youre better off just shelling out for the black edition.

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
ive got the white sony action cam happy with it so far just needs to be mounted firmly.
there is a adapter in the box that allows you to use any gopro mount with the action cam
i like the fact it has a screw hole and you can use tripods with it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Mate has the Sony the quality of video is so-so, but the mounting system is a major PITA it rattles and moves around, plus the odd shape of it reduces mounting options (under the visor for example). The GPS function is cool though.

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've had a Sony HDR-AS100V for a couple of weeks, I didn't consider a Gopro mainly because the lens is on the face rather than the end.
I'm most impressed by the video quality, even underwater it's bloody good. The Sony mounts are good and solid but there are less options available than for Gopro.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I ended up with a GoPro, thanks to the good lady wife for Christmas. Got the Hero 4 silver. I wouldn't bother with the black unless you want ultra high definition options for serious editing. Also doesn't have a playback screen on the back for on trail reviewing.
The Sony does look good and I could've gotten one quite a bit cheaper than the GoPro but general consensus is that at this stage, all the others are a compromise. So far I'm very happy with the GoPro, captures amazing footage and even takes great stills.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
While I use neither of the mentioned cameras, I have been using a GoPro alternative... SJCAM SJ4000.
Only $100... looks like a GoPro, comes with waterproof case and just about any mount you can think of (tripod and chest rig sold separate), and is compatible with GoPro mounts, etc.

It's great value if all you need is 1080p/30fps.

If I had to choose from the two listed, I'd just get a GoPro, purely because of how versatile it is compared to most other action cams.
I'm interested in the SJCAM SJ4000 for the various mounts. Where did you buy you camera from?

Did a google search, seems to be an ebay / internet item only rather from a shop.

Last edited:

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I'm interested in the SJCAM SJ4000 for the various mounts. Where did you buy you camera from?

Did a google search, seems to be an ebay / internet item only rather from a shop.
I bought a SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi a couple of weeks ago. Tested it out today for the first time and all seems good.

I paid about $130 for it on ebay (figured better of spending $130 on this rather than $300-400 on another camera that i probably can't see any difference on for what I will use it for). Fo that i got the camera, a heap of mounts and a spare battery.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
+1 for the Sony. I have one and it's noticeably more stable than my mates go pro on the same tracks. I use the chest mount which is a little gummy looking but I don't notice it while bombing down trails.

darsh

Likes Dirt
just picked up the Garmin VIRB on special from Pushys for $179 ( marked down from $420)

very happy with quality/ mounts and so easy to use

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just picked up the Garmin VIRB on special from Pushys for $179 ( marked down from $420)

very happy with quality/ mounts and so easy to use
I might grab one of these too. I recently bought a Hero2 off a relative and it started freezing etc.. and I just want to smash it.