Good locks?

Combining a few strategies sounds the best way to go, e.g: use two locks, lock up near other (less-secure) bikes and possibly putting a lock on your disc. Actually ain't a bad idea, unless you forget to take it off before riding away :eek:

I've seen motorbikes with kryponite locks on their disks, with a cable going up to the handlebars to stop them forgetting that it's still there.

ollieflotty

Likes Bikes
if your locking it up for a decent amount of time this is what i do.
put 10 zip ties through my chain.
3 zip ties on each disc to stop it fitting through the caliper, also it doesnt damage as badly as a lock would
zip tie my brake levers down :p
lock the bike around a pole and also around the rear wheel
put my seat in my backpack
and if i have a pedal wrench or a regular wrench with me i take my pedals off HEHE :p

Last edited:

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and you would do that for what?(school,work,not useing the bike for ages?)
stuff that i think i just use my 2003 norco storm for what ever i need to do...but now its getting some nicer parts and stands out with its blue paint job so im screwed....but i rather that then the other bike...

jow

Likes Bikes
Fact of the matter is that in this age of cordless angle grinders if someone wants your bike they will get it... hell ive seen the poles that people have tied to cut to get the bike. I had a friend that had 6ft bolt cutters.... he use to cut parking meters off their poles.
Some bike theves use a van and angle grinders and bolt cutters and jacks. steal a truck load and ship them interstate to sell...

best bet is to make your bike ALOT harder than any other bike in the area. also insurance isnt a bad option for those pricey toys. because if someone wants it bad enough, chances are theyll get it!

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
the D locks with the tubular keys i used to be able to get into in 30sec on a good day (opening them for customers not steeling!)

normal pin tumbler locks (flat keys) around 30sec - 5min

but D locks in general if there low quality you can open them quite easy with a common house hold item (no i ant gunna tell)

my D lock has 2 tonne pull rating on it - it's an abus one