Going on the trails with a baby seat frame bolted on

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Has anyone taken a bike on the trails with a baby seat frame still bolted on?

I'd prefer not to add this to my hardtail but my commuter bike isn't around any more.

Does it rattle around like crazy? Will it fall apart? No issues at all?

stirk

Burner
Is it a pain to take off and put back on?

If you did ride with it strap a teddy bear in it for laughs.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I saw a woman who was riding with one on the Yarra trails. But she crashed and the mounting bolt ripped her leg open big time. Bone was visible.
Make sure you have ambulance cover.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've seen way too many shit baby seat installs, and too many shit baby seats. Watched some poor kid the other month get whiplash after dear dad tackled the rail way crossing way too fast.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'd only do it with the headset mounted or top tube ones. Guessing you have front suspension at least. On the back you'll wreck your kids back IMO. Same with trailers, they shouldn't be sold IMO, pound the kids even with low PSI in tires.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to interpret this as riding off-road without the baby. Riding with the baby is wrong on so many levels.

My wee-ride frame is a pain to take on and off, even if it only takes 10 actual minutes or less. But there is no way I'd ride with it on. It weighs a ton and effectively gives you a higher, squarer top tube upon which to injure yourself in the nastiest ways possible.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drop your seat and ride sitting in the baby seat (assuming it's a rear mounted baby carrier).

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm going to interpret this as riding off-road without the baby. Riding with the baby is wrong on so many levels.

My wee-ride frame is a pain to take on and off, even if it only takes 10 actual minutes or less. But there is no way I'd ride with it on. It weighs a ton and effectively gives you a higher, squarer top tube upon which to injure yourself in the nastiest ways possible.
I'm glad someone understands!

I'm absolutely NOT going to ride with a passenger!

I'm talking about the bare frame (no seat) as though I've just removed the seat.

No Skid Marks

My Bobbo seat comes off in ten seconds.
my kid loves the dirt if it's not bumpy. She's sitting on Pikes but, hardtail though. For example the luge at stromlo was too bumpy for her. I think it's cause her legs reached the bars then, don't wann go longer stem again. Waiting for that stupid top tube bike seat thing I paid for on Kickstarter well over a year ago. She'll be on the tag along by the time it comes. I made another kid to get use of it though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
My Bobbo seat comes off in ten seconds.
my kid loves the dirt if it's not bumpy. She's sitting on Pikes but, hardtail though. For example the luge at stromlo was too bumpy for her. I think it's cause her legs reached the bars then, don't wann go longer stem again. Waiting for that stupid top tube bike seat thing I paid for on Kickstarter well over a year ago. She'll be on the tag along by the time it comes. I made another kid to get use of it though.
Macride? Still not out yet?

No Skid Marks

Hope it comes through and isnt vapourware. Damn that was a while ago.
Looks like it'll happen judging by the updates. Just took them ages to get the manufacturing right. They say they're happy now and will get them made.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've never ridden with one, but are they as top heavy and rear heavy and generally batshit insane scary unstable as they look?

If I had kids, I'd be putting them in a trailer, or getting a cargo bike.

(yes I know Moorey - I wouldn't understand).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you take the seat off & just leave the base rack you'll be fine, 'cos there's stuff-all weight there. The problems arise if you leave the seat on, as that's where all the weight is, even without the passenger. The centre of gravity goes up & way back, which really fucks with handling.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I made my own front mount seat out of a rear mount.... the mount is on ST. Get creative in the shed.
easy on and off and better balance for the 20 k return ( don't ask) to childcare!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you take the seat off & just leave the base rack you'll be fine, 'cos there's stuff-all weight there. The problems arise if you leave the seat on, as that's where all the weight is, even without the passenger. The centre of gravity goes up & way back, which really fucks with handling.
Not with the Weeride. The steel bar that mounts between your seatpost and head tube weighs a frickin ton. The seat weighs nearly nothing.