GMBC / Forrest MTB and cycling club 3 hour

JessD

Likes Dirt
trail report

The altered 6 hour course looks ok Jess. Looks like it uses more of Marriners (except the climb up from Super Loop) as well as more single track on Foxtail. Having more road between Marriners and Foxtail gives more time to take in fluids/food etc. I approve.:)
Ooops forgot to let you know that there is ONE single spot on the entire course that has the slightest bit of wetness in it. Its over some roots, just before you start the first flow down bit to the big fat No1 berm. The rest is fast - not dusty either, just firm.
Norm wanted me to go up to the No.7 entrance for the 6hr course, do all of Foxtail until it reaches the no.7 (reverse direction) junction. its def got more area to hyrdate and get some food into you on the long stretch of Cemetery Rd. Good back stretch area too!
It might end up being that teams cross over straight into 2nd half of Foxtail(marshalled area) and the solos do the extension.(6hr course )

sossy

Saucier
Regarding on the day entries:

At this stage there are 33 spots left before we reach capacity and online entries are closed.

We will take on the day entries up to the field limit of 150, not one person more, and only before 9am

If you do intend on entering on the day, I would suggest getting there early, rego is chaotic enough without added stresses of on the day entries.

I will be without internet access from now until after the event, so for this making the journey, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, for this who aren't, I hope you enjoy the royal wedding replays on tv.

Except of course Pistonbroke, I hope you have a fantastic day and the arrival of your firstborn is trouble free.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ooops forgot to let you know that there is ONE single spot on the entire course that has the slightest bit of wetness in it. Its over some roots, just before you start the first flow down bit to the big fat No1 berm. The rest is fast - not dusty either, just firm.
Norm wanted me to go up to the No.7 entrance for the 6hr course, do all of Foxtail until it reaches the no.7 (reverse direction) junction. its def got more area to hyrdate and get some food into you on the long stretch of Cemetery Rd. Good back stretch area too!
It might end up being that teams cross over straight into 2nd half of Foxtail(marshalled area) and the solos do the extension.(6hr course )
As a solo rider, a longer course would suit me (especially with more climbing:p), but I just don't know whether there'd be problems with solo riders at speed encountering team riders on that corner of no. 10 as suggested, especially if it's wet. I'm probably being overcautious. Maybe some carefully placed bunting might ease the merge a bit, but I don't remember the track being very wide there. I may be wrong.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Awsome track and race today lads. Thanks to all the crew who made it happen in such a short timeframe.

Any idea on results :)

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Agreed, the GMBC and Forrest crew setup a great event. Awesome weather too. When was the last time you came home from a race and didn't have to clean 3kg of mud off your bike eh ! Looking forward to going back for more punishment in the 6HR in June.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
As a solo rider, a longer course would suit me (especially with more climbing:p), but I just don't know whether there'd be problems with solo riders at speed encountering team riders on that corner of no. 10 as suggested, especially if it's wet. I'm probably being overcautious. Maybe some carefully placed bunting might ease the merge a bit, but I don't remember the track being very wide there. I may be wrong.
a really fun race today! No issues with traffic on the singletrack either - it was a bit tight on lap 1 with everyone entering it so close together but I didn't see coming to a complete stop. It was a pretty intense course with only a few short areas to recover. Loved mariners run section - so much fun! Awesome work by the Forrest/GMBC crew!

any online results from the day?

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Brilliant day as expected when gmbc and Forrest are involved

Followed by a delicious steak sandwich at the brewery!

4 weeks until the 6hour!

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Well that was a fantastic day. Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the organisers, who did a stellar job putting this on.

I only had one mishap, bit past half way on lap one, that of thinking a fern (just before a right hand turn after a jump which was after the marshal with his car) was just leaves and no trunk ... actually it didn't even register with me as there were leaves everywhere and I just rode through it all :) But this one had a hefty trunk, front wheel straight in at medium/high speed and over I went with hurt to ensue. I didn't even see it coming. Luckily I was wearing elbow and knee protectors, looking at a few of the other riders attempting the same or similar stunts quickly validated my choice of apparel. Still a few bruises and bumps have been discovered post race, but all up it's all good.

As I recovered from that, the rest of the day was a tour de force of absolutely stunning, flowing tracks with gravity drops, berm-a-thons and what have you. The track seemed to defy physics, surely we were going downhill more than uphill? My last race being Mt Beauty, which just trashed my legs, this was pure heaven. Speaking as a back marker, I was terribly happy to finish lap 6 with one minute to go, so I could have another sampling of these terrific tracks for a total of 7.

Also thanks to everyone on the tracks & about who were having a great time and overall were a really good bunch of people. Also thanks to Jess for the pre-race track report and for being a great motivator at the start / finish!

Exie

Likes Dirt
Indeed it was a terrific day. The weather was awesome!

I agree there was a little traffic at times on the course, but all were polite and a good days fun & racing was had.

Unfortunately I didnt make around as fast as I'd hoped, but it sets a benchmark to improve on for the 6hr now.

Big kudos to the Forrest crew, and again JessD for her encouragement & support of the riders.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Well that was a fantastic day. Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the organisers, who did a stellar job putting this on.

I only had one mishap, bit past half way on lap one, that of thinking a fern (just before a right hand turn after a jump which was after the marshal with his car) was just leaves and no trunk ... actually it didn't even register with me as there were leaves everywhere and I just rode through it all :) But this one had a hefty trunk, front wheel straight in at medium/high speed and over I went with hurt to ensue. I didn't even see it coming. Luckily I was wearing elbow and knee protectors, looking at a few of the other riders attempting the same or similar stunts quickly validated my choice of apparel. Still a few bruises and bumps have been discovered post race, but all up it's all good.

As I recovered from that, the rest of the day was a tour de force of absolutely stunning, flowing tracks with gravity drops, berm-a-thons and what have you. The track seemed to defy physics, surely we were going downhill more than uphill? My last race being Mt Beauty, which just trashed my legs, this was pure heaven. Speaking as a back marker, I was terribly happy to finish lap 6 with one minute to go, so I could have another sampling of these terrific tracks for a total of 7.

Also thanks to everyone on the tracks & about who were having a great time and overall were a really good bunch of people. Also thanks to Jess for the pre-race track report and for being a great motivator at the start / finish!
G'Day All,

Can someone provide more detail on the fern trunk that was catching riders out?

Would like to look at it again prior to the Forrest 6Hour in June

Roland

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
It's on Mariners after the main berm section climb and fireroad where we turned right. Go over the little table top jump and there is a right turn with two roots in the middle of it, to the left there is a stump. I think that's what people get caught out on, I think it's a bit obscured by a grass tree ?

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
It's on Mariners after the main berm section climb and fireroad where we turned right. Go over the little table top jump and there is a right turn with two roots in the middle of it, to the left there is a stump. I think that's what people get caught out on, I think it's a bit obscured by a grass tree ?
Thanks.

Seems that "easy" section requires a bit more attention. Had just finished adding some logs along a similar stump a bit further on, (right hand then left hand turn, marked by a square bollard)

We'll look at it in the coming weeks

Roland

softek

Likes Dirt
Thanks.

Seems that "easy" section requires a bit more attention. Had just finished adding some logs along a similar stump a bit further on, (right hand then left hand turn, marked by a square bollard)

We'll look at it in the coming weeks

Roland
looks like a pineapple Roland, I never forget that face COURT me thrice