Giant US 2015 Trail & XC

mitchy_

Llama calmer
if only the KMC DLC black chains weren't so expensive.. with the black X01 cassette on a black bike it looks sweet.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
No. You're reading it wrong. That's a generic od2/od page. Read the whole page and you'll see od is also on it.
Then read the specs for all the 2015 bikes. They all say OD not od2.
I'm curious that od2 claims 30% torsional stiffness increase over od. So have they gone backwards 30% or is their marketing just bs?
I reckon bullshit marketing or everyone else would've jumped ship and 'OD2' become more of a standard like the current taper is.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I reckon bullshit marketing or everyone else would've jumped ship and 'OD2' become more of a standard like the current taper is.
Stiffness is always a marketing term, a stems stiffness becomes a little pointless when just below it is a suspension fork that twists and wobbles all over the place ( hell, a lose caliper boot will make it vibrate like a mofo ), then compliant spokes and a compliant fat tyre at low pressure.

Giant just needed a couple more manufacturers to get on board- thankfully, the bike buying public were more pissed off about it than lovin' it. Hence they canned it.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
+20mm of rear travel, slacker HA, I'm pretty sure. May or may not be a benefit depending on what kind of trails you ride.

Kramer

FoBR
Other than the paint work, I really like the look of the Anthem SX - solid specs and should be less twitchy on the descents. Could be my next XC race bike?
Really hoping they do a good job on the new Reign. I almost bought a Trance SX, but thought the 140mm rear travel might be a bit under gunned for more serious DH tracks.

Kramer

FoBR
...also noticed that the Stance has "FlexPoint" suspension, not Maestro. It has no link between the seat stays and chain stays, but appears otherwise the same? Would this not be super flexy under compression (maybe the source of the FLEXpoint name?!?)

Jay Taylor

Likes Bikes
...also noticed that the Stance has "FlexPoint" suspension, not Maestro. It has no link between the seat stays and chain stays, but appears otherwise the same? Would this not be super flexy under compression (maybe the source of the FLEXpoint name?!?)
From here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/technology/flexpoint/98/

Using the flexing elements of the rear chainstay and seatstay, FlexPoint Suspension eliminates complex pivots and linkages to provide an effective, lightweight and durable suspension system that’s easy to maintain.

Key advantages include:

The proven “single-pivot” suspension design offers trail riders increased control for more confident off-road riding.

The flexing action of the chainstay/seatstay junction creates a simple, lightweight and durable system that provides 4.7 inches/120mm of rear wheel travel.

FlexPoint offers similar benefits as multi-link suspension systems but without the added costs or the need for frequent maintenance.

No mechanical rear pivot point:
The flexing action of the chainstay/ seatstay junction creates 4.7inches/120mm of rear wheel travel.

Proven "single pivot" suspension performance:
FlexPoint’s single pivot suspension design delivers effective performance for light-to-medium trail riding capabilities.

ALUXX Aluminum swingarm:
Giant proprietary swingarm design provides the flexing elements of FlexPoint suspension for durable and effective performance.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
dunno if it has been mentioned in the 5 pages.
But the Anthem 27.5 sx is absolutely fucken ugly.

The trance 2 and trance advance, black with blue highlights I suspect would look pretty sweet in realises.

Love my current Trance 27.5.
Might save the pennies for the Advance start of next year. The geo of these just works for me.

teK--

Eats Squid
That new trance sx would mean I would have a tough time buying a reign...

160mm pikes, 140mm monarch plus debonair full x01.

Wonder if this one will ever see the discounting the 2013 did. Might very well be my next bike!

The anthem sx looks very tasty indeed. Always thought that would be an effecient and fun trail platform with a slightly bigger fork and slacker head angle.
much better build spec on the Trance SX this year (slightly higher price too) but goddam the colour is fugly!

akashra

Eats Squid
I'd totally buy a Anthem SX in that colour if it were in the specs/budget I'm looking for. Not as thrilled with the Anthem Advanced SX, but don't dislike it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The Stance kinda fills the entry-level duallie slot previously occupied by the Yukon FX/SX & Halo of years gone by. Its rear suspension is very similar to what they had, but the geo is a little more Trance-like than the older models were. Priced at $1600 (and specced accordingly), it sits below the Maestro-sprung Anthems & Trances.

The rest XTC, Anthem & Trance ranges are pretty evolutionary from last year, except the Anthem is the only family to hang onto a couple of 29ers (one each alloy & carbon). Too bad if you want a Trance Advanced with any Shimano running gear though, they're all SRAM. Obviously the Trance SX is gone, but with the return of the Reign, with 6.3" in the back there's not really much call for the SX anymore. The convertible rear dropouts carry over across the range, with the lower-spec models generally setup as 135x10, while the higher models are 142x12.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Does anyone have any updates on the Aus launch - specs and prices?

The Giant Australia FB page is almost devoid of any info - same with their Liv launch, I got way more info from the female athletes that attended, but there's been almost none I've seen from people attending the Giant launch.

Website doesn't appear to be updated, that could be a while off. Basically I mainly want a price on the Anthem Advanced 1 27.5, and confirmation that it's similar spec to last year of the US model (ie, XT).

Wow, the stance is pretty decently priced. Don't know how well the suspension will perform seeing as its different to the maestro.