Giant trance X2 - Fox R32 F125 travel problem or question (The answer will decide)

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Hi People,

I've noticed that I can't use up all the travel in my forks, on my giant trance X2, regardless of the air pressure setting.

I think I remember that I used to occasionally bottom them out (Could be wrong), but now even with big hits there's about 25-30mm at the top of the stanchion that doesn't get used. Does anybody else have this issue, or have a similar fork they can check for me.

I've serached around google, etc and I can't find anything of interest on this subject.

Fyi: Forks are probably due for a service, just.

Cheers,
Mike.

willsy01

Eats Squid
If you release all the air and compress them do you get the amount of travel?

Also, are they open bath or the newew FIT cartridge type?

T-Rex

Template denier
If your fork is a steel spring fork, the following doesn't apply, and I don't have a solution for you.

Fox air forks have a seal design that's really good for keeping the air in, the downside is that over time the air chamber accumulates the splash lube from the lowers, resulting in reduced air chamber volume, and therefore reduced travel.

To test if this is the problem, flip the bike upside down and press the valve core in. Oil should come pissing out under high pressure. Put a catch tray under the fork and wear eye protection.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Yeah mate I'm currently investigating this same problem with my float 140s noticed a couple of months ago that my forks were doing the same thing. After some troubleshooting I have deduced that like the above poster said they have collected some float fluid in the air chamber therefore reducing air volume. Test it using his method. A small seal is at fault I am trying to get mine warrantied. Contacted fox who were less than helpful so I sent an email to SOLA sports today, waiting to hear back. I'll let u know how I go

beardi

Likes Dirt
I got rid of my f120 fork because I could never get full travel from it. Plenty of others with this fork (f120) that have had the same issue, not sure if yours is the same design but seems plausible.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I made mention of the same problem to Ken at Tekin when I sent my f120s to him a while back. He mentioned that if it was using the FIT cartridge he could make some changes to alleviate the problem.

The things mentioned above are all valid as well though, particularly the the splash oil getting into the air chamber.