Giant Trance SX

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new enduro/all mountain bike and have come across the trance SX. It seems perfect for my intentions but i can't figure out where the cost comes from. It's RRP is 4,000 but it has deore brakes, and an alright derailleur. The forks are 34 sure, but they are still evolution. Even though I can get the bike for 2.8 new I'm still having a hard time deciding if its worth it or not.

What's everyones thoughts on it?

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Does seem to go against the value for $$$ Giant is known for. From an RRP perspective, the regular trance 27.5 1 seems better spec'd, all be it in a 140mm package.

Suppose those 160mm talas forks cost a fair bit. and gold paint commands a premium.

On another note, you would think that a bike with 160mm of front travel would have better than Deore brakes considering that theoretically at least it would have the ability to descend faster.

will2

Likes Dirt
Deore Brakes: Good, underrated, very similar to its big brothers. Who needs tool less reach adjust and a tiny bit more bite? Add bigger rotors?

Fox Evolution: Kashima, well who cares for it? Honestly, it would look bloody beautiful with that bike but really, it doesn't do a whole lot.

+1 For the Trance 1.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i think at the current price its a bargain. good groupset. good wheels. ok fork. that being said. you are never going to get pro or factory series fox stuff at that price point so its either a 34 evo 160mm talas or a 32 evo 140mm float. the 2014 are better then 2013 but still not great.

i would take the bigger fork and the slacker head and see if I could learn to live with the cheap damper. sure a better damper might make you slightly more confident but unless you are a bleeding edge racer or willing to spend about a grand more you should just put up with it. in reality the extra confidence a top level damper gives you maybe 2 seconds on a 2 minute strava run? just hold on and hope a little more and save some pennies I say!

if you want to upgrade down the track then so be it but I think once you have the evo 34 you will probably just learn to live with it just like we all do with our less then 10k bikes. if the damper goes bang then buy yourself a fit cartridge with a guilt free conscience

show me another bike at 2800 bucks with this much kit?

another bargain is the trance 2 advanced with rockshox front and back. i really like that bike too for the same price and would take it over the alloy trance 1 with XT. groupsets really dont sway me.. its all about frame, shock fork and wheel. you can buy deore/slx bits and pieces for nothing these days if you feel like updgrading/replacing but wheels/frames/forks are 500-1200 bucks.

also worth noting that the trance 1 advanced is now at 3200 which is shockingly good value.

I dont need a new bike but these new trances are awfully close to tempting me into something new and shiney at these runout prices. Giant seems to have been more aggressive then the other big brands at clearing out 2014 models. still waiting on discounts from trek and specialized 140-160mm models...surely they gotta bite the bullet soon and clear out before EOFY soon... and im one of those people who thinks giants are just a little bit too toyotarish as a mountain bike brand.

lastly. whenever im looking at real value I look at how much these bikes go in usually cheaper markets like the US. right now australia seems to be about the cheapest in the world on these so you really cant go wrong unlike doing something like spending 6000 bucks on a carbon davinci troy that sell for 3500 in the states.

in summary real world current trance prices

trance sx 3000 or so. fox 34 160mm, zee/deore kit 1700gm tough wide wheelset
trance 2 advanced 2800 or so sektors 140mm (2013 revelation rls) and x7 kit (avid elixer trail 4 pots that arnt advertised.
trance 1 advanced 3200 or so revelations 140mm, xt groupset and the good wheelset from the sx.
trance 1 alloy 2700 with same kit as advanced 1

Last edited:

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Deore Brakes: Good, underrated, very similar to its big brothers. Who needs tool less reach adjust and a tiny bit more bite? Add bigger rotors?

Fox Evolution: Kashima, well who cares for it? Honestly, it would look bloody beautiful with that bike but really, it doesn't do a whole lot.

+1 For the Trance 1.
kashima is a better stanchion coating, it provides alot less friction and stiction compared to the normal fox forks.

i think at the current price its a bargain. good groupset. good wheels. ok fork. that being said. you are never going to get pro or factory series fox stuff at that price point so its either a 34 evo 160mm talas or a 32 evo 140mm float. the 2014 are better then 2013 but still not great.

i would take the bigger fork and the slacker head and see if I could learn to live with the cheap damper. sure a better damper might make you slightly more confident but unless you are a bleeding edge racer or willing to spend about a grand more you should just put up with it. in reality the extra confidence a top level damper gives you maybe 2 seconds on a 2 minute strava run? just hold on and hope a little more and save some pennies I say!

if you want to upgrade down the track then so be it but I think once you have the evo 34 you will probably just learn to live with it just like we all do with our less then 10k bikes. if the damper goes bang then buy yourself a fit cartridge with a guilt free conscience

show me another bike at 2800 bucks with this much kit?

another bargain is the trance 2 advanced with rockshox front and back. i really like that bike too for the same price and would take it over the alloy trance 1 with XT. groupsets really dont sway me.. its all about frame, shock fork and wheel. you can buy deore/slx bits and pieces for nothing these days if you feel like updgrading/replacing but wheels/frames/forks are 500-1200 bucks.

also worth noting that the trance 1 advanced is now at 3200 which is shockingly good value.

I dont need a new bike but these new trances are awfully close to tempting me into something new and shiney at these runout prices. Giant seems to have been more aggressive then the other big brands at clearing out 2014 models. still waiting on discounts from trek and specialized 140-160mm models...surely they gotta bite the bullet soon and clear out before EOFY soon... and im one of those people who thinks giants are just a little bit too toyotarish as a mountain bike brand.

lastly. whenever im looking at real value I look at how much these bikes go in usually cheaper markets like the US. right now australia seems to be about the cheapest in the world on these so you really cant go wrong unlike doing something like spending 6000 bucks on a carbon davinci troy that sell for 3500 in the states.

trance 2 advanced 2800 or so sektors 140mm (2013 revelation rls) and x7 kit (avid elixer trail 4 pots that arnt advertised.
trance 1 advanced 3200 or so revelations 140mm, xt groupset and the good wheelset from the sx.
I agree with alot of what you're saying, but have a look at polygons AX series, it will surprise you. I agree with the bikesets, i need a longer and thicker forks and its just a shame that the SX is my best option.

teK--

Eats Squid

+1 For the Trance 1.
I think you are confusing the Deore with SLX. Deore are rubbish the levers feel like plastic. SLX have as much power as XT.

Also the Kashima forks come with FIT Cartidge damper which is a bit better than the Open Cartridge.

Rodders

Likes Dirt

Thats quite the discount on the Advanced 1; where are you getting these prices from?

What are people's opinion on how they climb? impressive considering they make a decent freeride bike?

teK--

Eats Squid
Thats quite the discount on the Advanced 1; where are you getting these prices from?

What are people's opinion on how they climb? impressive considering they make a decent freeride bike?
Happy with my SX for climbing have done a couple of big XC events with lots of climbing. It also does pretty good on shuttled runs and jumps. Great all round bike!

kashima is a better stanchion coating, it provides alot less friction and stiction compared to the normal fox forks.

I agree with alot of what you're saying, but have a look at polygons AX series, it will surprise you. I agree with the bikesets, i need a longer and thicker forks and its just a shame that the SX is my best option.
Kashima is mainly marketing hype on Fox's part. Rockshox have the fantastically responsive and plush Pike. RockShox don't coat their stanchions in a fancy gold colour or rave on about a fancy japanese coating….they are no worse off for it either. The Pike is proving to be a great fork.

teK--

Eats Squid
Kashima is mainly marketing hype on Fox's part. Rockshox have the fantastically responsive and plush Pike. RockShox don't coat their stanchions in a fancy gold colour or rave on about a fancy japanese coating….they are no worse off for it either. The Pike is proving to be a great fork.
I'm not sure what the composition of the RS black stanchions are but they say it is something better than the traditional anodising.

ChopSticks

Banned
I'm not sure what the composition of the RS black stanchions are but they say it is something better than the traditional anodising.
us mortals cant get our hands on the Black Gold/DLC coating... only sponsored athletes get the super smooth fancy coating.
the black stachions you see on the trails is just black anodising ... nothing special

will2

Likes Dirt

I know this mate, it is still a bit of a gimmick, do you really notice 30% slicker when you ride?