Giant Trance SX 27.5 Advanced build thread

teK--

Eats Squid
looks good may I ask why a medium cage derailleur with 11-36 ? are you planning on getting a 42T large sprocket?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice one. The XO1 stuff is bloody expensive if you break something. Shimano XT(or even SRAM X9 stuff) will be much more economical when the time is due to replace things...

Especially on a apprentice wage. You better be good to your parents for helping you out.

serge0007

Likes Dirt
The XO1 is made for AM enduro not XC... Your bike and style of riding is exactly what it's intended for... Trust me it can take he punishment. If it's a financial thing than fair enough all I'm saying is you don't need a chain guide and to be messing around with all that rubbish when you have the best groupset available for that style of riding.

DJR

Likes Dirt
I don't have an SX or advanced model, just the Alloy 1 non-SX. I've changed the tyres to High roller II exo TR 3C front and ardent race exo TR 3C rear. Seems a good combo for the bike and type of riding I do. Other changes were the seat and the bar, I don't think 730mm wide bars suits the bike and went to 675mm to avoid hitting trees, still enough leverage on the bars anyway, only ends up being a couple of cm difference.

Next upgrade I have is a TWE hand built wheelset to drop some weight from the wheels, go proper tubeless and also wider rims. The pxc1 wheelset has pretty narrow rims and i can feel the tyres rolling around on it. Gary @ TWE is building me up some wheels with 28mm wide rims. After that maybe Pike or Xfusion slants @ 150 or 160mm travel, going to see how I go with new wheels first.

Sorry for the hijack, nice bike, personally i'd just keep that new gear as spares if stuff breaks, from what i can tell the trances although light are specced well enough for AM/light FR. Components and build quality of the newish breed of bikes is very good compared to what I was used to when I bought my last bike in 07!

placebo

Likes Dirt
As thought provoking as replacing an X01 group with Zee is, I think Post Your Ride might be a better spot for this build thread.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
you dont want to spend money replacing the cassette, but you'll spend the same on an arguably inferior groupset? interesting train of though.
FYI - XG1195 is $350 at CRC.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey now, that's a bit harsh.
Wasn't trying to be critical, just stating the obvious. You have paid a lot of coin for a very sweet ride, that has been specced to keep it nice and light for a specific reason. The new breed of All Mountain bikes have heaps of travel and are incredible down the hill, but to take full advantage, need to be light enough to allow you to ride them up the hill without smashing you.

Not sure by changing to Zee you will have done yourself too many favours in that regard??

teK--

Eats Squid
Have you weighed your bike since replacing the parts? I often scratched my head trying to work out where the Advanced saved almost 1.5kg over the alloy. Especially when it's same wheelset and the frame couldn't be lighter than about 500-700g since it is still alloy rear triangle. It is possibly the XX1 where most of the weight saving is achieved?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The reason I said $600 is because I've folded over two of the XG1195 cassette's already (the top two rings are as weak as piss) and not happy with it at all. Under 200km, chain is 75% worn, two non warranty covered cassettes later and I've just about had enough of X01.
What are you doing to your bike????? I know of blokes on XX1/X01 who have done a few thousand k's over very rough terrain and zero issues

mitchy_

Llama calmer
your crank is actually X1, not X01. proper X01 crank is carbon with an alloy spider.

there is already 100 grams to add between the xt mech and xt cassette... (X01 - 220g mech and 275g cassette, XT - 260g mech and 340g cassette) then the crank is 35g on X1, shifter, chain, guide...