Giant Trance Advance SX - The Black & Gold Bomber

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Been a while since I've updated... and a while since I've ridden! Managed to break a couple of ribs while on a night ride 4 weeks ago and get pneumonia as a result on not being able to get rid of an existing cold off my lungs. I really don't recommend this combination to anyone!

Since I've been off the bike for a while, I've been able to spend a bit of time tinkering before running out of breath. Managed to knock up a bike rack for under $20 I was pretty stoked with and also some touch to the aesthetic bits on my bike I wasn't happy with. Firstly while I don't mind the Giant TCX-1 wheels, the graphics are hideous! As the graphics are painted and baked on (I think?), I found a black adhesive PVC... Pretty much a HD book covering and blanked them out. Pretty stoked with how it came out, you really cant see them until the light catches them and that looks alright due to the shape cut. Decided to leave the silver near the valve but might change my mind later! Took a while to get the template right but well worth it Also removed the fork decals to clean it up a bit.

I've changed over to a Fizik Antares saddle which I find super comfortable and a High Roller 2 on the back due to the moistness in Tassie at the moment. I also have an Absolute Black Spiderless 34T ring in the mail that I'll chuck on this week!

ZCz83wM.jpg

hQvF57K.jpg

And here is the wall rack I knocked up!

Rack.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Lookin good mate I didn't mind the graphics on the rims but the stealth look is good too!

Can't believe the advanced sx is so light compared to the alloy which is about 1.2kg heavier. I think the XX1 saves a fair bit around 600g with the remainder being around 400g in the frame, and also it doesn't have a chain guide which is another 250g.

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Cheers Tek... I think hideous was a bit over the top in hindsight ;-) More just didn't work too well with the frame.

What does your come in at now weight wise? I think would of saved a bit with the bars and saddle too but the wheels and tyres would be the area to shave some more off if I was that way inclined.

teK--

Eats Squid
Cheers Tek... I think hideous was a bit over the top in hindsight ;-) More just didn't work too well with the frame.

What does your come in at now weight wise? I think would of saved a bit with the bars and saddle too but the wheels and tyres would be the area to shave some more off if I was that way inclined.
Mine is pretty much 13.9kg exactly which is still less than stock after the pedals are removed. Although I made some weight savings by going tubeless, lighter saddle, removing chain guide and lighter cassette, I have added weight elsewhere with wider bars, new fork damper (open bath), and heavier front tyre.

It still climbs well enough for me; I'm just glad it's strong enough now for the downhill part :)

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Well due an update so here is!

No real major changes since last time, I've been really stoked with the overall setup after putting in nearly 1200k's. The only tyre I've replaced is the rear Rockrazor with an Ardent 2.4 and have been really happy with the Hans combo that it's nearly due a new one. Grip and predictability for days! Apart from that just general things like chain, pads and a new front rotor.

Serviced the fork and shock last week and while it made a bit of a difference, I'm still umming over swapping out the Fox Talas 34's for some Pikes. Every time I've jumped on a bike with Pikes I've felt immediately at home. The Talas while there are plush, just feel like they could be better on the small bump side. If you're after a freshly serviced set os 2014 Talas 34's, let me know...

Here's a few pics:

Local XC race the Meehan Monster. Took out the teams category which was pretty cool considering we'd all smashed plenty of pints the night before!
Ekf08IC.jpg

Competing in Tassies first Gravity Enduro last weekend which I helped organise.
xdyiZXf.jpg

Picked up a second with local shredder Kaine Cannan taking the win and Mark Ambrose in 3rd. Top day had by all!
fSg7m8D.jpg

On the way to check out the new Hollybank trails up North for the 3rd time in 6 weeks. So much loamy / rocky fun.
zhafHL7.jpg

duneblazer

Likes Bikes
Killer bike~ Sensational beard! I hear that bloke in third is a bloody legend!
Tas GE series in 2015 is going to be awesome!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Nice bike! Looking for a N+1 bike soon with a more gravity focus to sit along side of my 2012 Anthem. Dissapointed to see that you can't get a Trance SX in Australia anymore. I raced the Meehan Monster, did the 50km, tough race and glad I still had the Nobbie Nic on the front.
If you ever want to upgrade.....

teK--

Eats Squid
Try the fox gold 20wt oil I just did a service with it and the forks are ridiculously plush now. Have to run more psi to keep the fork up.

Nice work on the podium btw, trances reprezent ;)

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Try the fox gold 20wt oil I just did a service with it and the forks are ridiculously plush now. Have to run more psi to keep the fork up.

Nice work on the podium btw, trances reprezent ;)
Cheers Tek and will do! How's yours running mate??

teK--

Eats Squid
Cheers Tek and will do! How's yours running mate??
Really stoked with mine mate it is a totally different beast to when I bought it! I think everything is finally dialed now :)

All up probably spent as much as yours lol.