Giant STP Zero

Hi All,
Just curious to know if the STP Zero could be used as a trial style of bike at all? I am very new to the mountain biking scene, and have a bike already, but wanting to try something different. Also, if the STP Zero bike could be used for trials, could i use all my parts of my 09 Gaint Yukon on the STP frame? Just seeing if i can cut costs to see if trials is something i would persue further.

Thanks in advance

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,
Just curious to know if the STP Zero could be used as a trial style of bike at all?
Yes, as said above. You can use any kind of bike for any type of riding. However that said it is much easier to do it on a bike designed for the task.

Also, if the STP Zero bike could be used for trials, could i use all my parts of my 09 Gaint Yukon on the STP frame?
Yes, but i can see some problems with components such as cranks/ derailluers bashing around and possibly braking. If you were to cut costs ide be taking of the derailluer and buying a single speed kit immediatly, saving your derailluer and a bit of weight.

jp4294

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure Jeff Lenosky rides a bit of trials type riding on an STP doesnt he..? :nevreness:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Short answer will be yes.

You can practice the basics on any bike, fully rigid bikes make it a little easier. as for your giant yukon stuff working on the STP I have NFI

Once you can track stand roll up stuff and are starting to learn to pedal kick etc then bike setup starts become alot more crucial.

Shredden

Knows his goats
[video=youtube;5z1fSpZNXhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU[/video]

No prableemmmm maytee!!!

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Yes you can run rigid forks on an STP, just choose the right length.

Yes Jeff Lenosky rides and STP and yes you could ride trials on it but it isn't a particularly special frame for the job.

If you are happy putting your Yukon parts on an STP (and potentially destroying them with trials use) then the number 1 thing you should do is get out and start practicing on your Yukon. You can learn all the basics on the Yukon, just use flat pedals and put the seat down. Replacing the big chain ring with a bash guard is a good idea to for extended use.

Also in my opinion a small XC frame (preferably one with V brake mounts) is just as good for learning trials on as an STP and probably lighter. Maybe you could put a post in the Wanted to Buy section. Someone might have an old frame floating around they could sell you cheap.

Jabhinaa

Likes Bikes
Mate I ride a Large 2008 STP and I ride that bad boy every where. I'm running a 32 tooth chainring with a 34/11 cassette and I'm doing 100km+ road rides, Downhill runs, trails riding, mental hill climbs... Just get out there and smash it like there ment to be riden. Anyone who tells you that you can't just do it and say well look at me go...

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Mate I ride a Large 2008 STP and ... Anyone who tells you that you can't just do it and say well look at me go...
Now that's just positive attitude... But seriously, I'd use a proper bike for doing trials. Sure you can prove me wrong, but while I'm articulate in using the fork for eating, I also use a spoon when appropriate.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Sorry, i ment the complete build, not sure if its still on here but i saw a dirt cheap trials bike on here. only like 200 more than an stp frame for a complete bike, it was a while ago though :p

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Was it pink colored? I saw it too and while some components were not the best the frame fork and wheels appear to be one of the higher quality builds. Easy to replace the minor components.

There's an older, but quality frame in Kuringai Cycles I've been contemplating on building. It's just that I'm still preoccupied with my FR/DH build and I couldn't find a cheap but bomb proof set of forks to go with it. It's got a built in bash guard and will take disk or the stronger V-Brakes.

Ask Charlie to bring it out sometime for a display.

Jabhinaa

Likes Bikes
I will admit I would like a taller frame (cause I'm 6"4) but the STP works great I just can say a bad thing about it. I believe it's all about the right set up and some times cut cost at the start means spending more in the end..

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
Alot of guys start out learning trials on a hardtail that they already own.
I know that when I was riding trials I did this.

Good brakes and a bash ring are the essentials.

A hardtail of almost any type will be good enough to get a feel for the sport.
you should be able to learn the basics with no problems at all on one.

Although a trials specific bike will be far easier to learn on as everything is set up correctly.

so... in my opinion a hardtail, preferably with a low stand over height is good enough to learn the basics.
Once you want to realy progress and have decided to commit to trials as a sport you should buy the right tool for the job.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you when trying to learn trials is to learn the basics, and I mean really learn them.
If you take short cuts there and try to progress without having them completley nailed you will find everything from there harder than it needs to be.

Also right from the start you will need to decide what your prefered foot foward will be and learn everything with that foot foward.

26 inch trials bikes small or large are generaly described as short wheel base or long wheel base, both will be insanley short on the stand over height.

There is an old video of trials in the early days, it has good tips for learning the basics and the bikes they are on look like regular mtb's.
"Dirty tricks and cunning stunts".

A quick search on you tube has left me empty handed.

Here is a link to another vid of the same guys with an mtb film from the same era, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqWL3vVpvPk

Last edited: