Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
So I picked up my new bike the other day, Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Large size.

The bike being fully stock with tubes, Giant grips, Sram XX1 trigger shifter & no pedals, came to 10.1kg on the bike stores scales. With m980 XTR pedals (310g) & Elite bottle cage (38g) fitted, the bike came to +/- 10.4kg (it was fluctuating on my bad scales at home).

I am hoping to get the bike down under 10kg, by converting the rims to run tubeless, which should save me about 200-300g and maybe a tyre swap to help save around +100g. Also i'll remove the stock lock-on grips as I like ESI chunky grips, saving me about 40-50g and due to the handle bars feeling very wide (720cm) for my liking, Ill cut 30-50mm off of it. Depending how my arse feels after a few rides with the Fizik Tundra 2 (160g) I might look at something lighter 40-60g, but the seat so hasn't hurt but the 70km ride I like to do in the RNP will be the real test of the comfort level.

I also purchased a matte finish Frameskin, but it wasn't cut correctly and I will be installing that when it arrives, its just to add a little bit of protect to the paint and I won't be hitting the trails until the frameskin is on, due to cbf'd cleaning the bike perfectly when it is basically already clean.

During the first ride around on the street, I would say that the bike felt somewhat uncommon, I guess which is due to a) not being on a bike in a few months. b) coming from a 26inch bike. I also think it might be due to the handlebars + 120mm stem as I came from 80mm stem, so ill probably change that around.

On a short ride my bike I got the opportunity to ride up some street hills on the way to my girlfriends place, I know its not off road firetrail climbs but the feeling of the suspension in a locked position was nice and stiff, no bobbing up & down from the rear shock and the front suspension with its ease to lock out with a push of a button is so simple.

First firetrail ride will have to be sometime next week, as I have a bit of a sore neck after an accident yesterday, so ill let that fix itself and then I will do another review of how the bike handled itself, I might even get some gopro footage.

So at moment, I cant give a full review of the bike but its looking good so far