Giant Anthem 2015 Hub dust cap removal?

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Well this dilemma has been bothering me for some time now. Ive had a few 1/2 effort attempts to physically remove these dust caps on the hubs without success, ive searched and searched the net without coming any closer to the answer.

Tonight i gave my all, i tried using the axle to lever on them fron the inside, gently hitting the edge of the caps with a soft hammer and i spent an hour trying to rock the wheel in a vice with rubber softjaws holding one side and turning the other. With this method im positive i was able to move the rear dustcap opposite the freewheel side but i still could not remove it!

The freewheel side had a 'remove' arrow on it so with the other end in the vice after some time turning the dust cap in the direction shown eventually it undid and to my surprise the freewheel / cassette came off the hub and i had my first glimps of the internals, but alas i still couldnt remove the dustcap from the brake rotor side to see the bearing over there!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is doing my head in. Ive lightly marred the larger dustcap on the brake side from rubbing on the rubber softjaws (rubbed off some of the black anodising) so ive conceded defeat for tonight!

Also, given i think i was able to partially move the brake side rear wheel dustcap, how do i press it back in? Is doing up the rear 142/12 axle tight enough to get it to reseat itself? Had i managed to remove it completely, what is the proper way to reassemble?

Travis.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
My reason for wanting to open the hubs up is the front wheel bearings feel completely dry to me, the spin extremely well/ too well and again feel dry. They make a very subtle squeek when turning by hand sometimes also.

I have no idea how to remove the front dustcaps there is no sign of removal and very limited room to clamp onto them etc

The rear did feel ok until recently then it started to feel a tiny but rough, not really gritty but a little lumpy if that makes sense and it too make a funny subtle squeek sound different to the front tho these bearings still feel greased, i think it could be the brake side dustcap rubbing inside etc, not sure but it sounds like a very small rubbing sound in one or two places when spinning the wheel.

Only done 1000km.

Travis.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Going to give the 'electrical tape' trick a go. Cannot believe i didnt use it last night... Too much to drink by that stage i guess!

Externally i cannot find any DT/ Formula hub thats a match but internally this seems like a usable set of instructions...

Hopefully round 2 will be more successful!

Travis.

Attachments

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Taped up and back into the vice and i finally got the brake side dust cap off!!!

Was as if the grease in there had glued itself / the oring in there! Cleaned out and with some fresh grease and it now comes off much easier!

Sound was some grit between the bearing and the dust seal.

Travis.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Thanks HiFi.

I was really just hesitent to push it given i was unsure if they were a proper press fit item, screw on or just a lite interference fit with oring. Still as i said that oring had the death grip of all death grips going on! ;)

Tonights epic adventure involved a full rebuild and replacing the oil/ seals in my 1999 Marzocchi Z1 Dropoffs. Original seals, 10year old oil that had gone hard and sticky in the top 1/3rd of the forks... Im going to have nightmares for a while after that job but they do feel brand new again! Was close to binning them 1/2 way into the job, then i thought bugger it if im going to bin them i have nothing to loose pushing on and if it works out its a win win!

Travis.