Getting permission, to build jumps?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
hey all, me and a few of my mates had some jumps set up, they lasted about 6 weeks, in which that time they grew to be half decent, any way about 3 days ago i went there for an afternoon sesh, on the way i seen some tractor tracks on the trail tothe jumps when i got there i discovered flatness, and about 15 tires which where used in side the jumps along with logs etc leaning against the fence... i can understand knocking them down, thats fair enough but the bloody workers stole our shovels!

well enough of that more to the point of the post, we are now looking at sending a formal letter the the council to ask for some land and some dirt where we would be able to build some jumps for us and others, like at windsor or ivanhoe, and i am just after any advice from any one who has tried this before, like what to say/write in the letter etc...
any help appriciated ..
alex

BTW.. i am pretty sure there was a post on something similiar to this a while back i did a coupe of searches but discovered nothing.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hey dude, you might want to try sending a few PMs to Rexy, he managed to presuade his local council to spend money to build a jumps track near his house.

I guess just keep your head cool, if they say no don't go off at them etc, but just keep nagging them... I'm pretty sure that's how Rexy done it!

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rexy to the rescue!

ok heres a copy of the letter i sent to them (this is based on one posted on farkin, thatnk to who posted it up)

To Rockingham City Council,

My name is Rex Dubois, and I am 13 years old, and am an avid Mountain Biker and BMX rider, like many others in the Baldivis/Settlers Hills area. I am writing to you today to propose the building of a youth recreational facility, specifically a BMX track, or a Mountain Bike Park in the Baldivis/Settlers Hills area. At the moment, to practice this sport, which I do 4 days a week during the school term, and often every day of the holidays, I have to travel a huge, unrideable distance. Most BMX tracks are inaccessible to the general public and are not within riding distance of Baldivis, the closest accessible track to my knowledge been the Serpentine bmx track. Jarrahdale, Dwellingup and Mundaring are the only places to mountain bike. These are the three closest suitable places to ride, and with Jarrahdale out in the hills, Dwellingup a 45 minute car trip, and Mundaring a 1 hr plus journey, you begin to see the problem. It is extremely time consuming to travel to any of these places.

Hence, and you may or may not be aware of this, myself and several others have taken it upon ourselves to build our own facilities, at various places in and around the area, which have subsequently been destroyed. Many hours have been spent in the creation and destruction of these tracks. The tracks that have been built were Dirt Jump trails. We do not mean to offer any inconvenience to the local council; we just want to enjoy riding our bicycles on a suitable track, just like footballers like to play football on an oval.

At the moment, Mountain Bike Riding and BMX riding is becoming an increasingly popular sport in Perth, and Australia in general. Currently, against the world, Australia is at the top of Mountain Biking in the areas of Freeride and Downhill. I myself see more and more people my age riding at the trails I ride, often meeting new people whilst building trails. Among the huge number of people, both young and old, I am yet to find a single person who has acted with the slightest bit of hostility to myself or any other fellow rider. This friendliness does not only appear among riders who always say hello when we meet out riding, but with the general public as well. I have often been riding or building and people will stop to have a look, or talk to us for a while.

Many local councils build skate parks, but I consider a skate park not the best choice for our local area, as we are semi rural most children do not own bicycles suitable for street styled riding, which is what a skate park offers. Also skate parks are only for more experienced riders and for less skilled riders they are not much fun and a potential threat to their health. A BMX track, if suitably designed can be fun for everyone from very skilled riders to younger riders

What I am asking for is a BMX track, or a Mountain Bike Park, that would be built in the Baldivis/Settlers hills area suitable for riders to stop them having to make the journeys to other tracks, and also to get kids off the couch, or the Xbox, or the computer, or the TV, and get out and do something active. I have noticed many kids in Settlers Hills with very little to do, so they vandalize public property and are generally a nuisance. I know a fair amount on the subject of mountain bike and BMX tracks and would be able to assist in planning and construction of a track. If a track is a financial strain a block of land could be supplied, with the help of a few days bobcat hire paid by the council a track could be constructed with the help of local riders.

I myself have only just got back from a trip to Dwellingup with a number of fellow riders, some of which traveled for over one and a half hours. With a local track mountain bikers like these would also be attracted to the area for riding and the council would become well known and respected among these mountain bikers for helping to give us a place to enjoy our sport of choice. The amount of Mountain biking in Perth is tremendous, and still growing, which is shown through over 4000 members, 14 of whom today joined an Australian Mountain Biking website, that has been running for 14 months (24/05/04). Some other useful Australian Mountain biking sites include:

www,cycling.org.au
www.wafr.tk

I would greatly appreciate a reply and further discussion on this issue.

Yours Sincerely

Rex Dubois

basically i sent this, then a few weeks later followed up with a phone call to the council. I talked mainly to the youth services officer, he was really helpful and sent me in the direction of local developers.I rang a few and got a negative answer, but kept trying and eventually got in contact with the Settlers Hills (local estate) residents association, and encouraged them to discuss the possibility of a track at their meeting. They decided it was a good idea and sent me looking for a location, the goverment already have a budget and are willing to spend it on a BMX track, they are even considering making it a club with a clubhouse. A petition is a very good idea, try making 2, one of riders and one of local residents who wouldnt mine one. Try also going down to the council and meeting with them (they love powerpoint presentations).Basically, ring everyone, local youth services, developers, council, be polite and dont get angry even if they are been an asshole to you.
ill post more tommorow, im off to bed now its one oclock i think....

M PWR

Squid
Asking permission is one idea,

the other which i personally prefer, is not.

build jumps away from people if possible, where they can't run them over.

Advise people in the area that if they mess with the jumps, it's going to be a problem.

Build the jumps too big for little kids, then they hopefully will not attract too many riders.

Don't let anyone tell youhow to run your life. This is the way it happens and don't let people tell you otherwise.

-Sean

mtbmx

Likes Dirt
rexy i believe a user named Golem made up most off that petiton.

hmmm nice work we tried here in the north shore and shit all happened

mtbmx

Likes Dirt
rexy i believe a user named Golem made up most off that petiton.

hmmm nice work we tried here in the north shore and shit all happened

Shintaro

Likes Dirt
The basic problem is that having built a sweet track, it was removed.

I can think of 4 solutions......

1/. Find other trails to ride
2/. Build secret trails in the middle of nowhere
3/. Seek land owners permision (council, private, etc.......)
4/. Do nothing, say that life sucks, and review the situation in your dreams/nightmares.

A track with land owners permision is never going to be easy to establish, but never rule it out as a possibility. Prepare a basic cover lettter and start visiting various organisations with power. Local Rotary or Lions clubs get involved with comunity projects, this could be a good place to start. Otherwise speak to local members of council, local bike stores, bike clubs, or land owners of suitable land.

RedPill

Likes Dirt
That happened to us, if you want to get your shovels back ring up the council and ask thats what someone i know did, and im pretty sure they gave them back.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
thanks guys, and thanks rexy for the letter.. i will probaly edit it a bit then hopefully send it on...
i was going to give the council a phone call and ask for them back, but then i thought that they might make us come and get them and then fine us for some obscure reason?

any way i wish my self good luck, thanks for the help

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im back for more

its no good building more illegal jumps, they will just get knocked down, again and again and again.
basically the only way youre going to get somewhere to ride is if you keep at it, never give up. Also give them reasons why its GOOD to have jumps, something for the youth to do instead of graffitying things for example, point out other places where there are sucsessful tracks.
A good organisation to contact as i said before is youre local residents association.
Try the youth services officer at the local council, and any yout groups.
also if someones a complete ass and says no before you can explain, explain anyway :p even if they say stuff keep going, when they start yelling simply hang up.
hope you get something done!

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
usually, they don't.

On a rural town, It's a matter of convincing the council that it will get kids off the drugs, not hurt as much as a skatepark, be cheaper, and not need as open an area.

VicRiders

Likes Dirt
or you can get a whole bunch of people to sign a petition and then hand it into ya local council, then they will get the message more than just a few teenagers want the jumps to stay, and they might even give ya some equipment, bobcat, spades, etc...just like what is happening in Bayside, Melbourne, Victoria...

eusta88

Likes Bikes
Council A-holes

Does any1 no if it is actually illegal to build jumps on public land?? Can u actually have anything done against u?? I ahve tried a petition so far, all i got was public liability bull, and nothing else. Any ideas...maybe a bigger partition??