Getting 2012 wc boxxers to be plush ?

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
So I have a set of 2012 wc boxxers and can't seem to get em plush if it depended on my life.
Rode Bawbaw and buller over the holidays and had nothing but arm pump at both them places.
Reduced air pressure to 50psi and ran no high or low speed compression and still felt like shit.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue.
Sending them off to ns dynamics this week and am tossing up doing the whole hamburger with the lot (charger damper, there air cartridge ) and high performance service which will probably bring it up to like $800.
Just want to know if it would be worth it or just get the high performance service and see how the turn out.
Have rode them for about a yr since I got them new and this will be there first service.
I have also heard from a few ppl that once you get them serviced ( have heard a lot of them came with not enough fluid from factory) they turn into a completely different fork ?
Don't want to spend the $800 and not like em and be chasing another new fork.
Also what forks do ppl recommend for plushness and to prevent arm pump ? Hahah
This is my second pair of boxxers my first being 2012 rc's which felt a shit load better in the rough stuff then these.
Are air forks really that bad for small bump sensitivity ?
Also on a slightly different note was tossing up getting a pair of fox 36 rc2 fit forks for my bike ( currently riding a banshee darkside which has 180 rear travel) are these forks up for giving them a hard time ?
I weigh 100kg and would be ridding dh and jumps and not the smoothest rider at times.
For the ppl that actually read this heff of a post cheers hahah
Greatly appreciated and looking forward to your imput.
Cheers

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Yeah could not agree more with that man.
Used to get no where near as much arm pump and forks actually felt plush with boxxer rc's.
Bought the world cups thinking they would be a major upgrade but only feel good when I ride youies and a few other local spots.
When ever it's rocky my Rc's preformed a shit load better.
I have tried that many different settings when I'm riding rocky stuff and can't seem to get em feeling remotely as good in the rough stuff as the rc's ?

Intense1

Banned
When you first got the forks, did you strip them down?

They were often shipped without oil in the lowers. I think this could be your problem :sad:

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
When you first got the forks, did you strip them down?

They were often shipped without oil in the lowers. I think this could be your problem :sad:
Yeah they have never been stripped down or opened.
I have also heard this off of a few ppl.
Fingers crossed its a simple solution to actually making these forks feel half descent.
Cheers dude

a-line

Likes Dirt
If you're somewhat mechanically minded, they're easy to pull apart & rebuild. I had 2010 World Cups for a couple of years with no problems. I now have 2015 World Cups & they're above & beyond anything that I've used. I've just done 16 runs @ Buller today without any issues of arm pump, previuosly I'd be feeling it bad on the 7-9th run. If it was me I'd get strip them myself & rebuild them first before shelling out the money for the dampner & tune.

noddy

Likes Dirt
I have found the bushing tolerances to be quite tight, tighter than the casting for the hub anyway which leads to binding if the hub width isn't bang on.
I had major issues in my 2010 set, turned out the lower casting was off by miles and it needed a wider hub (112mm, I have a lathe machined up some longer spacers) to align the lowers with the stunchions properly, after that they were nice and smooth.
Ended up snapping the lowers through the arch in a stack, replaced with 2011 lowers and forgot the hub mods I had made and they bound again, reinstalled 110mm hub spacers and they came smooth again.
so check out the chassis, allignment of staunchions and lowers is sensitive due to the tight bushing tolerance.

Also... stock seals are grippy as shit, best I've found are racing bro's seals, they don't need an additional oil seal and coupled with slick honey my lowers literaly will slide under their own weight when the internals are out and fork is upside down.

Interestingly, I also have a set of '05 888's, often pissed on for loose bushes, however I can put the 112 or the 110mm wheels in them and they still feel buttery. somtimes loose tolerances arn't so bad.

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
If you're somewhat mechanically minded, they're easy to pull apart & rebuild. I had 2010 World Cups for a couple of years with no problems. I now have 2015 World Cups & they're above & beyond anything that I've used. I've just done 16 runs @ Buller today without any issues of arm pump, previuosly I'd be feeling it bad on the 7-9th run. If it was me I'd get strip them myself & rebuild them first before shelling out the money for the dampner & tune.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Boxxers are easy to service and you'd be surprised how much of a difference a good overhaul and rebuild can make.

higiff

Likes Dirt
Yeah they have never been stripped down or opened.
I have also heard this off of a few ppl.
Fingers crossed its a simple solution to actually making these forks feel half descent.
Cheers dude
So they have never had a lower service down on them? Should be done around every ~50 hours riding or so. That will make an immediate difference,
Other cheaper options is replacing the seals with the new Pike seals, they are a low friction seal and make a noticeable difference.
If you are going to change the internals, just do the Charger Damper, it'll save you a bit of money instead of doing both and its the bigger difference of the two.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Cheers mate yeah I'm not bad at all with swinging spanners it's just that I have never opened up a fork.
I had a look a while back for how to vids of my specific fork and couldn't find anything.
Hoping a good service breathes a lot of life into them and fixes the problem.
Fingers crossed.

T-Rex

Template denier
Also on a slightly different note was tossing up getting a pair of fox 36 rc2 fit forks for my bike ( currently riding a banshee darkside which has 180 rear travel) are these forks up for giving them a hard time ?
Yes, they are up to being given a hard time for social riding. Laterally stiff and very strong.

However, they are not a competitive race fork for most tracks in any of the A Group categories. The issue we found with them is that at 10/10s you have to run maximum air pressure, which leads to the front of the bike skipping around, or run less pressure and have them bottom out too frequently.

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
Mate I run 2011 boxxers with low friction seals at 80 psi hard as fuck , until u need it then its like butter smooth it can be jittery but youll be quicker.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Yes, they are up to being given a hard time for social riding. Laterally stiff and very strong.

However, they are not a competitive race fork for most tracks in any of the A Group categories. The issue we found with them is that at 10/10s you have to run maximum air pressure, which leads to the front of the bike skipping around, or run less pressure and have them bottom out too frequently.
10/10's ? Do you mean 10 out of 10 times you will have to run max air pressure ?
Was tossing up the idea so I could do x-ups again hahaha my bag of tricks isn't very deep.
I'm not to fussed about them being a competitive fork just wanted to know if there up for riding dh on and not so smooth hucking.
Any other beefy 180mm travel forks you know of ?
Kind of like the freeride side of things aswell and that's what I see on the front of most of there bikes.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Mate I run 2011 boxxers with low friction seals at 80 psi hard as fuck , until u need it then its like butter smooth it can be jittery but youll be quicker.
Yeah I normally ride 80psi in my forks when I ride you yangs ( quite a smooth dh track) and at my local but when it's rocky and fast my forks feel like absolute shit.
Sent my forks off today for servicing and low friction seals.
I'm hoping they come back feeling a heap better.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I recently swapped my dust deals in my boxxer for pike seals and did an air spring rebuild. So much plusher I even went up 5psi in the air chamber

T-Rex

Template denier
10/10's ? Do you mean 10 out of 10 times you will have to run max air pressure ?
Was tossing up the idea so I could do x-ups again hahaha my bag of tricks isn't very deep.
I'm not to fussed about them being a competitive fork just wanted to know if there up for riding dh on and not so smooth hucking.
Any other beefy 180mm travel forks you know of ?
Kind of like the freeride side of things aswell and that's what I see on the front of most of there bikes.
I wasn't very clear, sorry, should have said 10 10ths ie riding flat out.

In summary, for your type of riding, the Float 36 180 would be fine, it's lighter than the Boxxer, and as you point out, has more steering range.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
So I got my forks back last week and took em for there first ride on the wknd.
They seem a lot more plush but I didn't ride very rocky terrain.
Checked air pressure and got em back at 110psi but no LSC and only two clicks of HSC.
Phoned up ns dynamics and they said that's the base setting they recommend.
First impression was a lot better will have to ride some rocky gnar at pace and see how they go.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
out of interest, what did they have the high and low rebound set at?
I haven't checked what they had them set at to tell you the truth.
They said I might need to play around with the rebound either a couple clicks up or down with both hsr and lsr.
Considering I used to run 80psi and there up at 110psi now is saying something.
Think I might need to slow down my hsr a little bit tho.