Gearing for park bike

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Gday Farkers,

Recently had my first bike park experience (Barrington) and basically not interested in any other type of riding moving forwards :D

So I'm building up kind of a minimal bike for smoother trails, here are the specs so far
- Norco Sight (2016), Aluminium
- 27.5 / 26inch mullet (may as well, have heaps of 26inch tyres laying around)
- 160mm fork
- probably a dropper

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Barrington or not but basically just want to do trails from the mid point down all day. No need to pedal to the top.

When it comes to drivetrain selection Ive had long cage derailleurs on 26inch bikes before and would prefer to avoid it.
The bike I took up there last time has a 1x11 with 34front + 11-51 on the rear.
Was fine for getting back to the campsite or up to the shuttle pick-up, but no way I could climb to the start of the upper trails.

Tossing up whether to look at the 8speed Box (11-42) or whether I should just fully commit and put a zee groupset on?
Anyone else got a this kind of bike, what do you run?

PS- I'm old and heavy but don't smash the bike too hard, not looking to do massive drops/jumps just have fun

Lucaw

Next in line
Zee with 11-36 tooth cassette. Personally I'd avoid box, the mechs aren't particularly strong

PJO

in me vL comy
Should still be a few 9 or 10 speed saint and zee mechs around. Put up a wanted to buy and you never know your luck.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
I have had a few of these on slope style bikes and been pleased with performance, durability, and price point.

https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/products/sram-gx-dh-7-speed-rear-derailleur

Assuming there isn't much climbing on your park radar.

In the glorious days when all was 26 inch, I used to run a short cage rear derailleur (usually 9 speed) onto a small road cassette on most of my bikes.
yeah they look good. need to get out today an see if I can get away with max 28tooth for the everyday sort of mucking about I would want to do as well (just cruising around killi, laps of walcha waterworks etc)

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Zee with 11-36 tooth cassette. Personally I'd avoid box, the mechs aren't particularly strong
yeah i think 36 would be livable. Wasnt sure about box either, there was a lot of news about them a few years ago but havent heard much since.
I mean, if they were good wouldnt SRAM have bought them by now???

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Should still be a few 9 or 10 speed saint and zee mechs around. Put up a wanted to buy and you never know your luck.
good thinking, i'd want something with a clutch yeah? I have an old saint rear d in the shed but think i would have to run a full front guide with that