Gates Carbon Drive - where can I buy?

I've spent the past few hours reading up on the Gates Carbon Belt Drive system and I'd love to know where I can buy one from.

Apart from getting on the Trek District or Soho models or a few other brands out there I'm a bit stuck on where to go. The Gates site doesn't have any distributors located in Australia.

Does anyone know where I can buy a gates carbon belt system apart from going direct to the manufacturer?

Last edited:

tripmitz

Likes Dirt
Spot Brand does a carbon drive called the Longboard - through the Spot website it appears that Over The Edge are one distributor in Aus.

Hardrock_rider_23

Likes Dirt
soryy i know this isnt the direction of your thread, but how well would one of theese work on a Gboxx2 or something similar, because that would be he ultimate aim really, a fully sealed gearbox, with a fully ridgid "chain" meaning almost fool proof technology

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
soryy i know this isnt the direction of your thread, but how well would one of theese work on a Gboxx2 or something similar, because that would be he ultimate aim really, a fully sealed gearbox, with a fully ridgid "chain" meaning almost fool proof technology
Nicolai is already using belt drive in a few of their Gboxx bikes.

edo1

Likes Bikes
Dont forget you cant just whack it on any frame...you have to have a split somewhere to get the belt through.

Easiest way to modify an existing frame would be (I think) to have an S&S coupler put in a seatstay.

floody

Wheel size expert
Avanti have had a flatbar roadie with a belt for a couple of seasons.

I don't think the drive components are hard to get, but obviously the dearth of windowed frames makes it more difficult.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Seeing as how someone has already unearthed this thread I may as well jump in.

We've actually been doing a few frame modifications to allow for belt drives. There's a series of photos below to show one example and so far we've been able to come up with a way of doing all the frames we've been asked to.

So the frame really isn't the problem. We did this Voodoo recently.

Voodoo belt drive 1.jpg

A simple one-bolt opperation to open/close the frame

Voodoo belt drive 2.jpg Voodoo belt drive 3.jpg

After repainting

Voodoo belt drive 7.jpg

The whole thing

Voodoo belt drive 8.jpg

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Gday Grip,

Any chance of getting a ballpark price for the mod to open the frame up?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Gday Grip,

Any chance of getting a ballpark price for the mod to open the frame up?
Cheers wkkie.

Unfortunately every frame is different and the way to "split" them is going to be different too depending on things like stay shape, geometry and material as well as things like style of dropout and what the frame is being used for. However, you can expect the unpainted cost to be anywhere from $150 right up to $450 for complicated setups or say a Ti frame.