Galvanic corrosion gurus, another stuck dropper post in carbon frame thread!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Graphite, the part of the CF makeup, that becomes the cathode in galvanic corrosion, is highly Nobel, a Ti shim is your best bet. Gold or platinum would be better, but, y'know. Next best is nickel chromolly. Anything more anodic than 20 stainless will eventually be an issue.

Use something >0 on this scale.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You could get your shim anodised, there seems to be no corrosive issue with anodised aluminium and that includes anodised spokes in carbon rims.

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
Didnt know if its been mentioned, didnt have time for 9 pages.. but a 50/50 mix of acetone and dex 3 auto fluid is the much much better than any penetrene, wd40, etc etc. Give it a crack it will wick in between the post and frame much better than anything else. Assuming acetone is carbon friendly..

Works great on rusty as fuck.bolts too next time you're under the car struggling

redbruce

Eats Squid
Didnt know if its been mentioned, didnt have time for 9 pages.. but a 50/50 mix of acetone and dex 3 auto fluid is the much much better than any penetrene, wd40, etc etc. Give it a crack it will wick in between the post and frame much better than anything else. Assuming acetone is carbon friendly..

Works great on rusty as fuck.bolts too next time you're under the car struggling
Acetone is very aggressive toward plastics and paint. I wouldn't put it near my bike.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yay!!

So today I finally decided to try and get my stuck LEV post out of my $4k Niner.

It worked!!!!!

I started by heating up the post for 5 minutes with a hairdryer and the cooling it with CO2,did this about 5 times

Popped it in the vice using 'Stoo's' (absolute legend!) custom made clamp

Did not budge a bit, bike was stripped and I was using the full torque of just the front triangle

So I also bout some locate freeze spray and tried that. It was slow but it worked. Spray wait a couple of mins, then twist frame back and forth, spray a bit more wait and so on and so on

See attached pics

Attachments

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
ONE FUCKING YEAR LATER CT..???

What the hell have you been doing? We lived and breathed this seatpost with you, and you procrastinated for an entire circuit around the sun before taking action,

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ONE FUCKING YEAR LATER CT..???

What the hell have you been doing? We lived and breathed this seatpost with you, and you procrastinated for an entire circuit around the sun before taking action,
Fair point

Wanted to wait until I stripped the bike down for its yearly rebuild

Finding time without the 2 & 6 y.o helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk