Funn hubs

hakka

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at carbon wheel options for my Stumpy 6fattie.

I have Zelvys with hope pro2evo and pro4 on my other bikes, but they no longer list the hopes as an option.

They currently have Funn, i9 and Onyx. I like something loud so the Onyx is out, I know the i9 is good but its an extra $500 over the Funn. The Funn build is $1380, or I could get light bicycle with hopes for about the same but I'd rather stick with zelvy.

Has anyone used the Funn hubs before, there's not a lot of info available on them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had a few funn hubs, but not in recent years. They were great - excellent price, reliable work horse, and great strength under my demands. The rear ones were also loud. Lots loud! A more high pitched tone than the hope I currently have, but the kind of hub that drowns out the crowd. I used one on a street bike and it regularly caused quite a stir.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could always source your own hubs and have them built. Went that route to build to a set of 240s.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, i'll give them a go. I'd rather buy a complete wheelset than source parts and find a builder.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Have a chat to Zelvy. They obviously felt that Funn offered an advantage over Hope, so find out what that was. Maybe the extra POE?

hakka

Likes Dirt
Haven't been out for a ride with them yet but they sound nice.

[video=youtube_share;V1lZvyhQYIQ]https://youtu.be/V1lZvyhQYIQ[/video]

1099732d1476378455-27-5-stumpjumper-6fattie-_d8t1219-copy.jpg

Last edited:

hakka

Likes Dirt
Looks awesome.
What build did you up getting & did you weigh them?
I got the 41mm rims. I forgot to weigh the wheels before putting the tyres on but the overall bike weight is almost exactly the same. The stock roval wheels run 24&28 spokes, the zelvys are both 32 and thicker spokes.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Looks awesome.
What build did you up getting & did you weigh them?
As a reference, my 26" 30mm ID Zelvy DH rims laced to Pro II Evo with DT Swiss Aerolites weigh 1872g with valves and gorilla tape.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Next time I do a tire swap I'll weigh them. The rovals I removed were 1785g with valves, tape and a bit of dirt.

MrPlow

TMBC
I asked zelvy, better engagement, better bearings, less weight and cheaper than hope.
Are they as flexible in terms of adaptability?
Hey fellas,
The FUNN hubs are adaptable just like the Hope, end caps, drivers and all that.
As said above, they are an awesome performing hub, we have a close relationship with FUNN and we were involved in the development of this hub.
Better bearings
Better engagement
Less drag (even less than Industry9 actually)
Lighter
Better value all around!

We back that up with plenty of spares and a 5 year warranty. We wouldn't do that if they were no good.
I am not lurking on Farkin that much these days. Any questions just ask on the online chat though.