Fulcrum Red Metal 5 for $189 on website

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I have both the RM3 and RM5. The RM5 wheels are very stiff for a XC/trail wheelset. Zero problems and easy to tubelessize them. I rate them highly. Had them for 2 years and done multiple races and rides on them. I am not a whippet and I lack the subtle handling nuances that others posses, at times. Smooth as the day I bought them.

The RM3s are more flexible, but they're lighter so that's a given. The hubs on the RM3s have be converted to 15mm thru axle (provided), not sure about the RM5s.

Bang for buck they are both very, very good.

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
Hi All. Thanks for the pictures and comments!
I have just a small update on what I have been deciding.

I've decided to go full tubeless. A fellow poster here has offered to build me some wheels but I'm still deciding on spec's and price before going ahead.
As I'm no lightweight (95kg + backpack) the price has gone up slightly for stronger rims from what I intended to pay in the first place but as I'm going tubeless I'm happy to to pay a little more.
My neighbour did the hard sell into getting tubeless as he has only had 1 flat in 6 years and that when a huge nail went into the tyre and when he pulled it out the goo couldn't seal it fast enough.

Looking at Stans Archs and Novatec 811/812 QR hubs, DT Swiss Comp Spokes.
Going for some bling while I'm at it too with white rims and red hubs.
As the area I ride it is all firetrails with rocks I felt I needed something stronger.

I don't think the rim's will be much lighter than the current ones but I'll more than make up for it with weight reductions on the tyres.
Still looking at Conti's but in the UST version and they are not cheap.

Once it's all sorted and get the go ahead from the financial controller for the increases then I'll post pics once I have them.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
eeep! out of stock!

Hmm. slight thread hijack here - Cell bikes are out of stock - I made the order, and enquired today after 5 days of no movement. I'm a little huffy about that since the wheels were listed as in stock when I pressed the go button. I don't have a few months to wait for new fulcrum stock to come in, so they've offered to send Easton XC disc wheels instead: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Easton-XC-1-Wheelset

...anyone know if they're any good? the attractive bits about the RM5's were the steel freehub body and big fat stiff internal axles..

thanks

bpow

Likes Dirt
Cant comment on the Easton XC disc , but did they say a straight swap? If so thats a good deal.
But I would push to get them to offer you the Crossmax ST. But thats just me, it totally depends on what your going to use them for.
Good luck and let us know how they act. I got some stuff off them and was happy, its always good to hear how stores treat customers.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Ah bugger I posted the wrong link. straight swap offered for these: http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Easton-XC-Disc-MTB-26-Wheelset

Anyway case is now closed - cell bikes offered an apology for the non-stockness of an item they listed as in stock at the time of ordering with a $50 voucher to sweeten things. Thanks cell, faith restored.

Red metal 5's on the way from bike24.com, for, well, an even better deal in pure money terms.

Last edited:

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
Hi all.
In the end I had some made up very kindly by MTB wanabe which consists of Arch rims and Novatec hubs with Conti Race King tubeless tyres.
Not much weight difference between those and the old rims as these are more heavy duty but with lighter/less resistance tyres the bike feels so much tighter and lighter to ride as well as smoother as the bearings on the old wheelset to sum up in a word were "stuffed"
Got a bit of bling as well with white rims and red hubs.
Had a minor issue getting the back to seal with tubeless but the mounding knobs on the beads with the conti's were the issue as after pulling them off it sealed straight away.

Bike weight has dropped to around 14.4kg now but without spending big $$$ it's going to stay at that.
I also brought new sealed bearing pedals although the brand escapes me I did purchase from Blackmans cycles in Parra as the old pedals were also stuffed.
The cost was more than what I budgeted for but so far very happy with the results!
IMG_1094_SMall.jpg

Last edited:

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Hi all.
In the end I had some made up very kindly by MTB wanabe which consists of Arch rims and Novatec hubs with Conti Race King tubeless tyres.
Not much weight difference between those and the old rims as these are more heavy duty but with lighter/less resistance tyres the bike feels so much tighter and lighter to ride as well as smoother as the bearings on the old wheelset to sum up in a word were "stuffed"
Got a bit of bling as well with white rims and red hubs.
Had a minor issue getting the back to seal with tubeless but the mounding knobs on the conti's were the issue as after pulling them off it sealed straight away.

Bike weight has dropped to around 14.4kg now but without spending big $$$ it's going to stay at that.
I also brought new sealed bearing pedals although the brand escapes me I did purchase from Blackmans cycles in Parra as the old pedals were also stuffed.
The cost was more than what I budgeted for but so far very happy with the results!
Cheers mate. The build looks awesome. Just need to get out and get dirty now. :peace: