Fulcrum Red Metal 5 for $189 on website

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
Hi.
I came across some 26" Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelsets for $189 new. The website clams they retail for $450.
Website is local as well.
Are these any good as they appear to be to good to be true price wise?
Google reviews say good things but I would prefer local experience

Currently I have WTB Speed discs around 4 years old on the bike and want to replace them for something maybe lighter.

Thanks in advance.

bpow

Likes Dirt
Dont have any experience with these but recently bought a new wheelset. Did a bit of research and these were on my list. At that price they are a bargin. Light and have good reviews, as long as your not throwing yourself of drops often. I just wanted something a bit stronger so spent more and got some hope/flows. I think if I saw them at that price while I was lookin I would of got them, might get a set for my girls bike! I recently got a set of tyres from that site and they arrived with no drama and at a great price (conti X-kings 2.4 blackchilli for $30! Bargin! and light under 600g if you want to lighten your ride) Grab some for your new wheels!
Its definately worth getting lighter wheels and tyres, its improved my ride alot, the best upgrade i have done to my bike.:encouragement:
Good luck

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
Thanks Bpow for your suggestions and recommending some tyres :fat:

Yup website is Cellbikes. I called their online number and it took me to message bank but they havent returned my call as of yet.
I rang the retail and the guy was much more helpful there (came with skewers and isnt UST compatible) but otherwise couldnt tell me the weight.
Google suggests around 1800grams. Speed discs come in around 2100 but as they need truing and the back bearings sound a bit special I figured it's cheaper this way to replace.

Current setup with the speed disc's also have 2.35 Kenda Nevagals front and rear wire bead that according to some sites weight in around 1kg each!
They came with the bike and traction has been great off road but drag like I have the handbrake left on onroad not to mention I've worn the back tyre out.

Now to get approval from the financial controller to obtain.

Thanks all :).

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Got me a set of those some time ago (at that price) for a commuter project i was working on.

Overall, i was really impressed, so impressed infact that i moved them over to my MTB where they performed flawlessly in every day trail riding & endurance events (Otway & Wombat)

the hubs spun ever so smoothly and were rather quiet, spokes were bladed and finish was second to none. They stayed true for the entire time i had them. I only got rid of them so i could upgrade to the Red Metal 1's which have been just as good - only at a lighter weight.

Word of warning though, if you do unfortunately break a spoke, they aren't cheap. Don't think the front hub was thru axle convertible though if that is important to you.

Good honest wheelset, get em!

bpow

Likes Dirt
Thanks Bpow for your suggestions and recommending some tyres :fat:

Current setup with the speed disc's also have 2.35 Kenda Nevagals front and rear wire bead that according to some sites weight in around 1kg each!
They came with the bike and traction has been great off road but drag like I have the handbrake left on onroad not to mention I've worn the back tyre out.

Now to get approval from the financial controller to obtain.

Thanks all :).
No worries,
If you are looking to lighten your bike I would definately look into trying some lighter faster tyres. Took me ages before I realised I was draging around too much weight on my wheels when I didnt need to. Still have the option to throw on the grippys when I need them. It can be a cheap way to improve the overall feel, I have only had a few rides on the X-kings but the difference has been noticable. My old set were heavy and grippy which was great in the loose wet stuff but definetly rolled slower than the XK do. I dont know how or what you ride so not saying get the XK but they are super light for a 2.4 tyre. Mine weighed 563g and 575g and the the 2.4 are about as wide as my 2.3 wtb's. if you go for it make sure you get the RS version (racesport) there the ones with black chilli and are made in Germany.

workmx

Banned
Fulcrum = Campag

Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo (the company was set up to sell Shimano/SRAM compatible wheelsets, without "polluting Campag's good name")..

So their wheels are pretty good quality.

Last edited:

lordflog

Likes Dirt
I'd suggest carrying spare spokes as the 2:1 ratio can leave you a little exposed when you break one on the light side. I'm pretty sure these are straight pull spokes & are not as common off the shelf. I always have to get mine cut to size for my Red Metal 3s.

workmx

Banned
Alternatives

Bear in mind that for around $200 (ex postage) you could get a set of no frills hand built wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles.

For example:
Front Shimano XT Disc Hub M756 + XM317 Rim + straight guage DT Swiss spokes = $95
Rear Shimano XT Disc Hub M756 + XM317 Rim + straight guage DT Swiss spokes = $115

In my experience (well constructed) hand built wheels ride better than machine made ones.

Alternatively the wheelset I use (Jet Black Rocket - 1629g) have been discontinued and can be bought for less than $200 at a few different stores.

Last edited:

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
Hi again all.
I got approval to purchase the rims but after seeing more posts tonight I'm now undecided..

Thanks though Workmx for your work you put in regarding building my own and Jetblack Rims and if Jetblack werent out of stock everywhere then I would consider these as well!.
I dont know how to build wheels either otherwise I would have looked at this although it is another idea so wont write it off completely.

I weighed my current wheelset up tonight including rotors tyres and cassette and it came in at 5.1kg.
Almost 1/3 the total weight of the bike.

Thanks too for everyone who has commented so far.
I'll let you all know what I decide :)

workmx

Banned
...regarding building my own...
Just to clarify, you do not have to build the wheels. Chain Reaction Cycles build the wheels for you at those price points.

I have not used this service, so can't advise about how good/bad/indifferent the build quality is.

...and Jetblack Rims and if Jetblack werent out of stock everywhere...
I put in two links to stores still selling Jet Black wheels.

Of the two Pushy's is probably the best option - http://www.pushys.com.au/jet-black-rocket-26-mtb-wheelset-with-15mm-qr-front-hub.html

I use the wheels on my XC bike and they have been great. Others may have had different experiences. See here for a discussion of the wheels (when they were first released and more expensive) - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?166863-jet-black-rocket-wheelset

I weighed my current wheelset up tonight including rotors tyres and cassette and it came in at 5.1kg.
Almost 1/3 the total weight of the bike.
Some lighter wheels and tyres will transform the feel of your bike. You may wish to consider going tubeless while you are messing about with the wheels/tyres.

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
I put in two links to stores still selling Jet Black wheels.

Of the two Pushy's is probably the best option - http://www.pushys.com.au/jet-black-rocket-26-mtb-wheelset-with-15mm-qr-front-hub.html
I tried the link and it said no stock. Only wheelsets I can find elsewhere are singlespeed.

Some lighter wheels and tyres will transform the feel of your bike. You may wish to consider going tubeless while you are messing about with the wheels/tyres.
After a bit more research I'm looking at this too, no more tubes!.
Changes the choice of tyre as well.

bpow

Likes Dirt
After a bit more research I'm looking at this too, no more tubes!.
Changes the choice of tyre as well.
Yep the X-kings on sale are not meant to be very easy to set up tubeless. I will be looking to go tubeless soon but will be choosing a tyre that makes my first time an easy one!!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
damn you! I *was* looking for a front wheel, now I've gone and pulled the trigger on a set of these. After I recover from a beating about the ears from the financial controller, I'm looking forward to giving them a good thrashing! currently riding a borrowed mavic crossride front, and my own hand-built fireye+xm719 indestructible rear. Rear wheel will get a proper service and hang up for spare - I'll sell it if the fulcrums work out!

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Fulcrum good

I had the Fulcrum Red metal 5 and serviced them myself.

Pro-
very good build quality on spoke tension. 2:1 ratio is cool, not sure if it works though.
Super easy servicable hub. Taken apart with a spanner and allen key. Bearing pre-load cap is nice touch.
It has sealed bearing inside, unlike Red Metal zero. It is well sealed on both freehub and disc side by lip and non contact seals.
Very good quality twin cam QR lever.
3 double pawls, so 6 points in total. Never skipped on my bike.
Cool aero blade spokes
Nice Stiff 20mm internal hub axle both front and rear. So the bearing is actually Huge on these hubs.
Nice and neat Steel freehub body. So damage free from cheaper cassetes with individual rings. My DT 240S and Hope all got chewed up badly even with XT cassette on the last 4 cogs.

Con -
only 24 spokes and 8 only on non-drive side. Can be flexy for heavy bloke, although I did not feel much.
Front not convertable. Must choose the right one.
Hub and rim both have stickers only and they peel at corners after a few months.

I hope it helps. Photos attached when I serviced mine last time. Looks really new inside after months' manly dam riding in Sydney.
[/ATTACH]DSCF4081.jpgDSCF4080.jpgDSCF4072.jpgDSCF4070.jpg

Last edited: