Fuel EX 29 or Remedy 27.5?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm having trouble getting into the whole 29" wheel thing, but haven't ridden one much. I'm probably tall enough (180cm) that the frame wouldn't be compromised for wheel size. Coming from an agile XC 26" (2009) and now looking for a trial/fun oriented bike I'm not sure about 29", 27.5 seems to be my preferred option on paper. I'm not going to set world records on a downhill trail. I want to enjoy the descents, blast singletrack and not hate the climbs.

Trek only do the Fuel EX in 29" or Remedy in 27.5, Spec have the Camber on 29 and the Stumpy on both, Giant seem to run mostly 27.5 (but I don't want a Giant), others have a boot in 3 camps with 29, 27.5 and 27.5+ to confuse the issue. I'm not keen on 27.5+ due to extra wheel weight after coming from a pretty light bike.

How much worse does a Remedy/Stumpy 27.5 climb than a Fuel EX/Camber 29? I spoke to an ex-BMX rider who tried hard to sell me the Fuel EX yesterday saying it was perfect for local trails (Glenrock, Awaba), including jumping.

I'd prefer to save a few pennies and buy something a couple of years older (2015/2016) if that makes any difference. I've read too much on the internets and want to ride again!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The older Fuel EX climb pretty well. The later models (not sure which year - maybe 2016 onwards??) are a bit slacker I think and probably would not climb as well.
The new Canyon Neuron has a pretty similar geo to the older Fuel EX I think - quite steep head angle at least.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Test ride them back to back... even in a car park. You will know pretty quickly whether 29" will work for you.

FYI the latest Fuel Ex is pretty rad.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I can't compare to the fuel but I have no trouble climbing with the Remedy. It's a lot of bike without a lot of weight and on the 2013 model at least you can adjust HA and BB height pretty simply when you start/finish a climb.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I was sold a 2016 Fuel EX29er because Im tall.

I never fell in love with the bike or 29er wheels. It wasn't long before I realised that I should have bought the Remedy which a mate of mine has. Ive ridden both back to back and yeah the EX9 is better on the climbs but only marginally. The Remedy of course is better on the downs by a long shot.

So I sold the Fuel and bought a 27.5 bike and Im much much happier. I did love the straight line speed of the Fuel but it lacked that agility and fun factor that I personally find I get with 27.5 wheels. YMMV

The new Remedies and Fuels are much improved apparently so they both do great as a general trail bike with the EX9 skewed slightly more for climbing and the Remedy slightly more for the downs.

If you want fun, agile etc Remedy would be my pick. Or a Banshee Spitfire. There is a size Large I think in the Sale section. Not sure if its sold but looks a hell of a deal to me.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My hat is in the Fuel/Stumpy 29er ring.

Will be a very versatile and capable bike

notime

Likes Dirt
Come up the mountains and you can demo both back to back at Nicks Cycles, medium and large '18 Fuel Ex and a Large '17 Remedy. Can also throw your leg over a Large Slash as well.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
If you want fun, agile etc Remedy would be my pick. Or a Banshee Spitfire. There is a size Large I think in the Sale section. Not sure if its sold but looks a hell of a deal to me.
OP's already commented on the ad, apparently it's too far away. I reckon a cheeky derby trip to test the bike is in order. That'd be my choice out of the options.

As per the choice of bikes, how can you say trek but turn the nose up at giant? much of muchness between the big brands. trance's are bloody good bikes now, and have been for the latest two iterations.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take this for what it's worth as I have the EX29 MY2015 9.9 and the Remedy MY17 9.8

They're both in similar spec as far as wheels, brakes + drivetrain.
The Fuel is forked at 140mm (stock 120mm) and the Remedy at 160mm (stock 150mm).

The Fuel in the MY I have is an outstandingly good and capable bike. It climbs really well, especially with a Re:Aktive shock on it. (My MY15 didn't come with one but I bought it aftermarket). With the 140mm Fox 34's on it's very good at descending too but it can only cope with so much. It's flimsier than the current model by some margin. Landing to flat is not recommended or enjoyable.

The Remedy on the other hand is just stunning to ride. I'm not sure if it's new bike stoke or anything else but it's so very capable on the descents without really leaving too much behind on the climbs. It's very direct, strong, stout and just composed beyond anything I could hope for on a trail bike. Land to flat on that bike and it doesn't even feel like it.

Given the current Fuels are slacker, heavier and more trail oriented than what I have I'd wager that you perhaps could look at it like this.
If you want to really enjoy rougher descents, jump more and be more agile then get the Remedy. You won't hate climbing on it in any way at all. Granted, mine has lots of lighter stuff on it but it's a great pedaling bike.

If you'd prefer a more balanced bike with a slight bias to climbing, and expect to do some jumps and drops but not so aggressively, then get the Fuel. Either way they're great bikes and you won't hate life on them. I'll add that a mate of mine has the Fuel EX MY17 9.9 with all the toys on it. He's clearing doubles on Cressy at the YY as well as banging down almost every trail short of the DH on it. It's smoking hot on descents compared to earlier models. It's just not as composed as the Remedy which he himself admits.

And as for Giant Vs Trek Vs Spec, For some it's an issue, for me it's not a big deal. I could have got something more "exclusive" but it comes with different headaches and issues. I've had 3 now along with other brands and I seem to get on with them. There are other bikes coming out in the same category so perhaps open up your view if it's something that matters?

Get what fits you, your riding, your budget and needs and don't let the anti / pro big 3 brands get to you. :^)

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OP's already commented on the ad, apparently it's too far away. I reckon a cheeky derby trip to test the bike is in order. That'd be my choice out of the options.
I did mention a trip to tassie for my sister-in-law so they could pick up a bike, but they're going to fiji instead :(. Life is getting in the way for me to head down there, and like I said in the for sale thread, I'd prefer to plant my bum on the saddle then hand over cash when outlaying this much.

As per the choice of bikes, how can you say trek but turn the nose up at giant? much of muchness between the big brands. trance's are bloody good bikes now, and have been for the latest two iterations.
It's just one of those irrational things. No Giant for me (I might if it was a freebie). I've been happy with my old Trek, so some 'brand loyalty'. Not that fussed on Specialized, but can get over that hurdle. Would love a boutique toy, but my inner tightwad is resisting.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
FWIW a year ago mate and I demoed 2017 Fuel EX 9 and 2017 Remedy 9 RSL for three days (two days at You Yangs, 1 day at a loop I’d ridden ~50 times previously). Both coming from ~2008 26” Giant duallies.

He expected he’d buy the Remedy. I expected I’d just have fun for a couple of days, but go back to my Trance fairly happily (never got that excited by variety of bikes I tried for 30 minutes at a time at Specialized demo days over the years).

Both bought 2017 Fuel EX 9.8s.

Both thought we’d prefer 27.5, but both found we preferred 29. Was amazed how much fun we had blasting downhill on either.

I’ve written longer posts about this on Rotorburn previously …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I own a 2014 Fuel EX9 and a 2016 Remedy 9 ,

I did the 29er thing with my first two duallies when I was fairly new to riding 6 years ago and 29ers were all the go,

Brought my first 27.5 with the remedy last year , and its been more fun than the fuel ,

I will probably buy another next year when the 2018 stuff gets a bit cheaper .

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm having trouble getting into the whole 29" wheel thing, but haven't ridden one much. I'm probably tall enough (180cm) that the frame wouldn't be compromised for wheel size. Coming from an agile XC 26" (2009) and now looking for a trial/fun oriented bike I'm not sure about 29", 27.5 seems to be my preferred option on paper. I'm not going to set world records on a downhill trail. I want to enjoy the descents, blast singletrack and not hate the climbs.

Trek only do the Fuel EX in 29" or Remedy in 27.5, Spec have the Camber on 29 and the Stumpy on both, Giant seem to run mostly 27.5 (but I don't want a Giant), others have a boot in 3 camps with 29, 27.5 and 27.5+ to confuse the issue. I'm not keen on 27.5+ due to extra wheel weight after coming from a pretty light bike.

How much worse does a Remedy/Stumpy 27.5 climb than a Fuel EX/Camber 29? I spoke to an ex-BMX rider who tried hard to sell me the Fuel EX yesterday saying it was perfect for local trails (Glenrock, Awaba), including jumping.

I'd prefer to save a few pennies and buy something a couple of years older (2015/2016) if that makes any difference. I've read too much on the internets and want to ride again!
By reading this I think you should go for the 27.5, it will be a bit more nimble and more suitable for descents and blasting around.

27.5 is probably a bit slower than a 29 for climbing and general trail riding but that's got a lot to do with the geometry.

I'm now on my 2nd Remedy 27.5, the 1st one suited my riding so much I couldn't go past another one!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks All. I've been eyeing a Remedy on Scumtree, but having trouble finding the time to drive down to look at it. Worst case, if the bike is not for me I'll up/down grade as required.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still Looking. Tried to check out a fuel vs remedy in shop this arvo. Same dude trying to steer me away from the remedy and onto the fuel. They didn’t have a fuel in large available to test sit, but did have a remedy. Sort of wasted visit. Crossed the road to the opposition and sat on an xl Norco sight and rolled around the carpark. Funnily enough it was too big. Will need to go back and check a couple of larger when I have more time.

Too many decisions. Still heavily leaning towards 27.5 though.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I did little research. Bought a bike at a good price. Strava tells me I am fast on it and I have fun..... 27.5 I love decending have fitness to climb comfortably.
If I had 2 current model mountainbikes I would have XC weapon and Enduro smasher. Carbon 140mm bike sits between the two and might only show its weakness racing for podiums vs fun (and i cannot be fucked with that).

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Still Looking. Tried to check out a fuel vs remedy in shop this arvo. Same dude trying to steer me away from the remedy and onto the fuel. They didn’t have a fuel in large available to test sit, but did have a remedy. Sort of wasted visit. Crossed the road to the opposition and sat on an xl Norco sight and rolled around the carpark. Funnily enough it was too big. Will need to go back and check a couple of larger when I have more time.

Too many decisions. Still heavily leaning towards 27.5 though.
its worth noting the remedy feels smaller than the fuel in the same size ,

I have both in a 19.5 ( different year ) the fuel has a noticeably longer top tube

notime

Likes Dirt
its worth noting the remedy feels smaller than the fuel in the same size ,

I have both in a 19.5 ( different year ) the fuel has a noticeably longer top tube
Yeah I can verify that the 19.5 remedy is short. I can ride a current 19.5 Slash super comfy size but the current 19.5 remedy feels really tight.