FSA orbit option head problems in Glory

dj_14

Likes Dirt
I Have just got a FSA orbit option headset for my 2011 glory, I choose the FSA orbit option because it was true chosen headset for the 2012 glory.

It is making a 'cracking' sound from the front end when you slam the front end down, like from a mono or jumping and landing more rear ended. Its been installed correctly and has heaps of grease in it. I've had 2 mechanics look at it and we can't really find out the problem.

Has anyone come across this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!!!

dj_14

Likes Dirt
They are relatively new they haven't had a lot on abuse I'd be suprised if it was the forks. I should try a different set though.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Checked the welds around the headtube for cracks?

Checked stem bolts are evenly tightened for an even load distribution through the faceplate?

No cracks in stem or bars?

It's not coming from anywhere else like the BB or front wheel?

Hey, if you want to try another orbit I have a brand newbie still in the box. Never used. Free if ya need it. Just lemme know.

dj_14

Likes Dirt
Checked the welds around the headtube for cracks?

Checked stem bolts are evenly tightened for an even load distribution through the faceplate?

No cracks in stem or bars?

It's not coming from anywhere else like the BB or front wheel?

Hey, if you want to try another orbit I have a brand newbie still in the box. Never used. Free if ya need it. Just lemme know.
It's defently the headset I just swapped it over after riding the bike. I tent keep my bike super tidy so i highly doubt it. Thanks for the offer. Is it the orbit option? Because I wouldn't mind trying the same one see if it faulty....

sorry if I'm dredging up an old thread but I have had similar problems on and off with an FSA orbit option headset running a 1.5 head tube with 1 1/8 steerer. It gave off a cracking noise similar to what an angleset gives off when not seated 100 %, as described its when you hit a square edged bump, drop etc... that it does it. After removing and realigning numerous times and ensuring plenty of grease it is alot better. I also ended up with bit higher tension than normal on the headset top cap bolt to keep everything snug. Similar design to the angleset- bearing acts as the gimal in this case though, still gives off that "gimal knock" if not aligned 100%.

tysonh

Cannon Fodder
I have just built up a custom 2012 glory. I used a lot of heavy duty grease and cranked up the headset and yes there was usual knock that every one semes to talk about. This due to the gimbal bearings not being a press fit. I have re-installed the bearings with silicone addhesive as once it cures it should provide a better interface between bearing and cup. I have just tested it this morning (bouncing the front end in the garage) at home and so far no knock ! will try it on the trail in the next few days.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
I also had a FSA headset creak.

The headset was pulled apart (cups still in frame). Bearings dismantles, cleaned and regreased. Everything else cleaned and lightly greased and now there is no creak. From other bike I have as soon as the grease gets old and gets a bit of water and dirt in it it creaks. Cleanliness FTW :)

tidlibit

Likes Dirt
hrrmm i was wondering where that was comeing from. just bout a new frame fork and wheels (all secondhand bar the hubs) and the frame came with a orbit option, must have a good look and clean, would have kept rideing and wondering what it was had i not stumbled upon this ;)

red_dog

Likes Dirt
I have the same problem and its driving me nuts. If you take the race off and sit it on one of the bearings included, you can actually see that the race contact angle versus the bearing contact doesn't fit neatly like it should. The two don't seem compatible when you add some pressure it slips.
If i didnt know any better I'd say they packed them with a 36 instead of a 45 race...

red_dog

Likes Dirt
I've done a bit of research now and seems like is a common issue globally.
Might have a chat to the SCV guys and see if there is a known remedy.