Front tyre for DJing/DHing

simmooo!

Likes Dirt
Ok, at the moment I am running holyrollers. I don't think they are giving me the grip I need, as I have washed out my front tyre on berms (on a DH track).
I'm putting it on my STP and I use it as an allround-ish bike (DH/DJ and the occasional XC) I'll be keeping the holyrollers for the rear at the moment.
I also will be riding on the road a fair bit so I don't want it to wear out quickly...
I was thinking Minions but I wasn't sure if it will be good for DJing and riding on road.
Anyway shoot me your ideas.

Derelikt-3

Likes Dirt
improvise :p

Just learn how to control the front end so you don't under steer it through turns. I have shitty kenda k-rads or w/e and it always used to wash out through tracks. but now i have learnt how to control it and maintain a good ol' slide through corners ;)

simmooo!

Likes Dirt
Maxxis High Roller or a Maxxis Larsen TT :)
What size is your front and rear Holly Roller?

Another question I forgot to add, I was planning on running the tyre I get 2.5.. Will this fit my forks (Marzochhi dirtjumper 2).
Sorry for the noob questions

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Go for a 2.5 or 2.35 High Roller then :)
You will probably only need single ply, and compound is up to you!
Pretty sure a 2.5 will fit your forks..

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
i would suggest you go for the Larsen TT, they have fairly decent grip if you are dj/street/dh

except if you were going for alot more DH than dj and street maybe look for something with a tad more grip. something like a Minion, ive always ran them on my downhill bike and ran them on my DJ/street bike untill i had enough cash to buy some larsen tts'.

my 2c

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Go for the High Roller over the Larsen TT then :)
But if you were doing more street, I would say go for the Larsen.

H

>Henry

Hey mate, I have the exact same bike as you (cept mine's black and has different forks ;) ) and i run a highroller 2.35 60a on the front and I do plenty of downhill runs on it with the Holyroller on the rear. That set up runs fine but I've decided to just buy some Minions and put them on when I do downhill runs just to get that extra grip.

All in all that set up will work fine for you, but if your getting seriously into DH just changing the tyre's over will work much better

Henry,

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It really comes down to the rider and thier style.
I've searched high and low for the perfect front tyre and have
tried many different set-ups, at the moment i'm doing similar
riding to you and have found a 2.35 super tacky High Roller in
single ply to be the best for me.. but I love the back end squirm'in
around and the extra speed that a Holy Roller gives you on the rear.
For any more serious DH / freeride stuff I put another High Roller on
back ;)

hartbren

Likes Bikes
i run kenda nevagals on front 2.35 and a 2.5 holly roller on back and do excatly the same riding! its working out good! but like the others have said if your gonna do more dh then go for a minion! or holly roller!
my 2c

Viv92

Eats Squid
So the Highrollers will be better for the type of riding I'm doing over the minions?
Depends. Go 2.35 60a High Rollers if you are riding on the road a little. Super Tacky and Slow Reezzay die on the road.

I've got a Michelin DH24 and it grips as well as anything by Maxxis and lasts longer (many, many times longer). Also worth a look.