From Fat to Phat

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Great read at my work desk while I eat my Burger with the Lot and a serve of deliciously golden salty chips. Fact of the matter is my 30's are behind me and the weight gain is brutal. Especially when I don't ride enough and still maintain the lifestyle I have become accustomed to. I'll be implementing some of the recommendations provided.......just after I rub my big round belly.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently back in Melbourne to tie up a few loose ends, but I've not long relocated up the Sunny Coast way (Calico Ck/Gymp). If you don't mind I'll get in touch once I'm back up in July & let's get out for a roll. Got bikes, have car, will travel. No pressure, no bullshit, just rolling.

Nathan
Thanks man, thats very generous of you, I'd be keen.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Working on the bike tonight and made a list of things that weren't the norm when I was last riding -

10spd
11spd
650b
Tapered head tubes
Press fit BB's
800mm bars
E-bikes
Electronic shifting
Fat bikes
Strava

Got some catching up to do.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
10spd - shit
11spd - ace
650b - endurobro
Tapered head tubes - ace
Press fit BB's - shit^infinity
800mm bars - for big men
E-bikes - shit ^ infinity
Electronic shifting - for roadies
Fat bikes - toys, fun for a weekend
Strava - might motivate you, might crush you. Race yourself.

Got some catching up to do. Still round wheels, rest is all negotiable.

Thanks man, thats very generous of you, I'd be keen.
Done. Will PM you my details.

I'm with Link

10spd- negligible difference to clutched or pre-clutched 9spd
11spd- Not exactly perfect but handy for the ups & downs.
650b- the bikesexual of the 26' vs 29' debate. 27.5+ is 650b's chunkier cousin, who after way too many hits from 650b's illicit Kool-Aid starts to look like something that you "might just go for a tumble in the hay with" under the right (read: wrong) circumstances.
Tapered head tubes- the unavoidable cost/casualty of industry progression
Press fit BB's- devised by a right c@nt, designed by a cock, made by an arsehole & the bane of MTBers the world over
800mm bars- chosen by riders who are largely overcompensating in order to make them look buffer than they really are
E-bikes- the devil's work
Electronic shifting- fuck no
Fat bikes- no fucking way
Strava- FUCK STRAVA

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Resurrecting this thread 8 years on.

[.....snip.....]
Wellsey, we immerse ourselves in expectations and inevitably embrace a bunch of 1st world problems. That's not to dismiss the issues - far from it. They're tangible and can be deeply personal but the best solution is likely 1st world as well.

The single most effective piece of advice I can offer is to cast your sight one level up above from your perceived goals that essentially address symptoms. Yes, make changes but not for the sake of weight, friends, health, blah, blah. That will follow. Motivation is powerful but not when you focus on fixing a long list of negatives because you will have many and regular setbacks and no doubt good reasons and excuses.

Skip all that and identify one goal. If MTB is your thing, then choose one big event. A multiday thing that you know will kill you if you don't prepare. Here in Australia something like a Gibb Challenge or a Simpson Desert Challenge. Pick something a year or more away, pay your money and enter it. Gain agreement from your family and work. You will find they will get behind you and become swept up in the preparation and cherish the involvement. Both of those events are strong social, tight groups and an eclectic range of participants.

All your focus is on preparation for the event and little else. You will learn to love physical exhaustion and a newfound abundance of mental capacity.

This one goal replaces the many negatives with one fun goal and the rest falls into place.

Due to the nature of our business, we deal with many people from around the world who through cycling adventure have inspiring stories of rejuvenation. It's a simple formula but one that can be so very effective here in Australia.

Hope that helps.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks George,

I've had similarly themed advice from a few sage sources, makes good sense to me. I'm using the social positives as my motivation at the moment, ie catching up with old friends, seeing old places etc. I've been riding bikes off and on in the same places since I was 16, so there's a lot of nostalgia there.

I took my dog for a walk in Parklands, our local trails, this afternoon. Just the smell of the wet bush had me choking up a bit, it's been so long since I've smelt it.

Put my hands around my Oury lock-on's for the first time in more than two years last night. The only way I can think of to describe it is it was like a getting a big hug from a loved one. A real feeling of familiarity, comfort, trust. Sounds corny I guess, but I was taken back by how profound it felt.

My main riding mate and I have been making plans to check out a few of our old favourite spots next weekend, and I'm genuinely excited to get out there.

Life is good.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Few weeks behind schedule, but here we are. 1st dirt in nearly three years tomorrow. Wish me luck.

3A147873-6851-46B7-B0DE-EEB9C562BECA_zps4brd6chl.jpg

slowmick

38-39"
Schweet looking ride Wellsey (what is the frame?). Hope you have a great ride tomorrow. you'll have a blast. plan some couch time after it to bask in the afterglow. :thumb:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahhh, good and bad.

It's amazing how much you can forget you love something just through absence and passage of time. Had a real cheesy "epiphany" about the whole thing, remembering all the things about riding I love. A bit overwhelming but really awesome at the same time.

In the bad category, even though I knew it would be like riding for the first time ever, I was completely unprepared for how out of shape I am, which was mega depressing and has knocked me back a peg or two. I probably should have picked some basic fire trail for my first time out.

Overall it was good fun, but the plus's kind of equaled out the minus's. I'm not exactly frothing to get out again, but have made plans to ride after work tomorrow and Friday with a mate, so that should stop me from piking, plus riding with a friend will be good. Also going to check out some new multi-use trails I can take my dog on, see how he goes running with the bike. Could be cool.

Nice one Wellsey!

Better to be in the saddle than dragging knuckles:peace: Don't worry mate, it'll all come back to you in time. Easy does it until then, one pedal stroke at a time.

Will be in the extended neighbourhood as of the 17th so hopefully we're able to get out for a gentle roll soon after.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Ahhh, good and bad.

It's amazing how much you can forget you love something just through absence and passage of time. Had a real cheesy "epiphany" about the whole thing, remembering all the things about riding I love. A bit overwhelming but really awesome at the same time.

In the bad category, even though I knew it would be like riding for the first time ever, I was completely unprepared for how out of shape I am, which was mega depressing and has knocked me back a peg or two. I probably should have picked some basic fire trail for my first time out.

Overall it was good fun, but the plus's kind of equaled out the minus's. I'm not exactly frothing to get out again, but have made plans to ride after work tomorrow and Friday with a mate, so that should stop me from piking, plus riding with a friend will be good. Also going to check out some new multi-use trails I can take my dog on, see how he goes running with the bike. Could be cool.
Hey Wellsey. Keep it up. I'm in a similar spot, having started riding again after 8 years off. I broke my elbow, then started my own business, which meant that I couldn't take risks willy-nilly, so I put the bikes in storage.

Now I'm riding again and like you, I found out that I'm rather unfit. I'm racking up k's commuting at the moment, and starting to ride trails again on weekends. Fortunately my new "job" (I'm doing a PhD), is ideal for commuting by bike.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Another 'motivational' post here too... good job on getting out there Wellsey! Time in the saddle is all you need, and just remind yourself how much you enjoy doing it; your fitness will return in good time.

For various reasons I've not had much of a chance to get out for a ride myself lately, and could barely manage a quick hour on some relatively flat local trails on Sunday afternoon before the legs gave up. Still, it beat sitting at home with the in-laws!

Edit: Nice looking ride too, and I'm looking at your collection of tools with envy as well...

Last edited:

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Keep at it mate. Have been off the bike 90% of the past 4 years with various injuries and time-consuming health/work issues and know exactly what you mean re being shocked by lack of fitness as i have just got back into it and am 25kg above my riding weight - and mega-unfit! Motivation is key and grabbing a few mates as you say is the best way to gain some momentum re regular rides, etc. Good luck!

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers lads. Haven't been riding as much as I would like, only been out three times in total, each getting progressively more fun though.

Am down a pant size mostly from proper diet, so that's a nice plus.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Checking in. Am alive. Few major setbacks in the last couple of months but altogether the trend is onwards and upwards.

Have thrown out my scales. As in literally in the bin. I find weighing myself just depresses the F&%K out of me. Last time I could focus on the readout through the cloud of shame it read 118.

Family life has been stupid busy getting ready for my wife's sisters wedding. Event was on family's property, so loads of work to do. Worth it though, went off without a hitch, great times. Sweated of a few kegs doing manual labor around the place. Managed to twist my gammy knee so badly I could barely fit my fancy trousers over it. Still limping.

Work is wrist-cuttingly stressful at the moment. Would gladly tell them to go f&%k themselves if I wasn't a slave to the mighty dollar.

Getting consistent rides in is straight up impossible. Realistically averaging one a week, 10-15k loop around Parklands.

On the plus side, have made real gains on the diet front. Am staying strong and eating well. Trying to transition to almond milk from full cream moo juice at moment. It's not bad but still miss a nice creamy Guernsey latte in the mornings.

To all the legend bros who offered to take me out riding, I'll be making contact over the next couple of weeks. I've scheduled some time off work and the wife is super supportive of me getting some proper km's done.

Peace humans, love you all.

F0AB917A-2DB8-4A07-8CA6-383F906A0D37_zpsuzlrgeec.jpg

Last edited:

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Great work Wellsey, good to see you have gained perspective over the past few years
Thanks for getting on here and being honest.

We bought a few acres a few years back and im loving the manual labour all weekend, fun in the sun :)