Freewheels

Povi

Likes Dirt
As you might know, im building up a stock trials bike. I have decided to do for a freewheel instead of a hub because ive heard that they are harder to break, plus ALOT cheaper. What kind of a setup do i need for a 22-18 gear ratio?
Could you please tell me where the freewheel would sit and if i need a fixed hub for the rear if im gettin a freewheel? also, final question, what would you reccomend being a good freewheel, but not a crazy 100000000 engagement point one? BMX freewheel maybe?

Thom_H

Likes Bikes
Theres using freewheels on the front called front freewheel where the freewheel threads onto special threaded cranks. You'll need a fixed hub at the back if you want to go with that, and new cranks. Then there's using it at the back like bmx's where the freewheel threads onto the hub. You can use normal cranks for this but you'll need a hub like this http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/popup_images/parts_prodNewdisc.jpg so the freewheel can thread on.

As for which freewheel I have no idea :confused:

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont really see the benifits of running a front freewheel set up? You'll have a constantly moving chain (accelerating chain wear) and also lots of ripped up pants.
I'd just stick to a rear freewheel unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Front free wheel cranks have (traditionally) better ground clearance as you are running an 18tooth sprocket rather then say a 22tooth chainring.

Of course these days you can get a fixed 16tooth setup for your middleburn cranks and run that with a Chris King rear hub for even more clearance and great engagement.

A related post on engagement points and the merits of front freewheel cranks is http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13671 Interesting if you are a bit of a geek.

gillyboy

Squid
I use a 18t front freewheel on my mod (12t on hub). if you go for a front freewheel the ACS claw is good and fairly cheap.
i bought mine from City Bike Depot (sydney) but im sure most bike shops will have or can get them in for you.

Last edited:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
theres basically 2 choices as far as freewheels go, ACS claws ~$30 or white industries (the better choice) $180, there is virtually no in between

Povi

Likes Dirt
okay, so im convinced that i should get a rear free wheel, seems the better option, but sorry that link didn't work so i dont know what the hubs look like, and because i really wanted to just buy wheel sets, does that mean that i have to build up the rear rim because of the special hub? do they make freewheels that mount to disc mounts? sorry, im just asking because i have no idea about any of it, and i dont wanna fork out wads of cash for a hub that i will break

mate if ur on stock then id reccomend a hub as they are the thing people run these days however now u can go singlespeed in comps because of new UCI rules.I would say go hub if you can afford it otherwise go a front free wheel they work very well. a white industries free wheel on the front is just as good as a top quality hub on the back.

Povi

Likes Dirt
i dont have a set budget, but im looking for something not overly expensive because my whole bike is coming out of my pocket, and its my first trials bike so i dont need hectic parts.

EDIT: I can buy a wheelset for the rear for $250 with engagement hub or a fixed one for $250 but the engagement wheel has a shimano hub so i was wondering if i just go with that or spend the extra money to have an advantage with a freewheel.

Last edited:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know it's frowned upon, but if you buy the hub OS you can get a hope xc hub (fairly popular for trials), then buy a dx32 rim and spokes locally, you can probably have a nice wheel for around $300 if you can stretch that far.

aykay

Likes Bikes
I think its worth spending some coin on a good hub now and be done with it. Buying a hope pro 2 trials/chris king is a lifetime investement.
You can spend a little money now and get something ok, but 12months down the track its probably going to be trashed, and will probably cost you more in the long run re-building wheels and such.
Shimano hubs last about a month of trials riding and the engagement is poor.
In my opinion you should run a hope pro 2 trials rear hub: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11034 Good engagement and strong as. Cheaper than chris king too. 32 hole is better because most trials rims are 32hole.

Decent spokes like dt champion/competion or alpine 3's

And a decent rim like an alex dx 32 or koxx (try all)

And get a good wheel builder to build it for you.

Any way thats my 2 cents. :)

Povi

Likes Dirt
yeah for the rear im gonna get a koxx rim for $65 (32h) pro2 trials hub but thats quite costly, PLUS i gotta pay for the spokes and the builder........ jeewizz.......... my bike will be finished in like 2 years............

Macbeth

NSWMTB
I can probably build it for you for free if you like..... I build all my own wheels and am the resident wheel builder at City Bike Depot.... Save you about $60-80.....

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I can probably build it for you for free if you like..... I build all my own wheels and am the resident wheel builder at City Bike Depot.... Save you about $60-80.....
What a nice guy you are Adam :)

I have always been super happy with my White Industies freewheels.

Povi

Likes Dirt
thanks mate, that would be awesome if ya could
yeah, my decision is final on the tryall rim and the pro2 trials hub