but i don't know any good places to ride,
and don't know any one that is really into freeride around Albury,
if any one is interested to ride with me,
im into big jumps and fast single tracks
Wodonga
reply if interested

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
If you have facebook, search for 'albury downhill' in groups. there's some people there.

When I'm in town I do a bit, but that's rare. Speak to Mr_Gareth, he's in the area and does a fair bit of riding

maccas86

Likes Bikes
hey man albury has heaps of good riding, around the nail can area, there is also plenty of decent jumps around the back of the albury tafe which is at the base of nail can, it is also the end of the downhill race track, so theres plenty of variety, i go up there a couple of times a week with a few others so let me know and might be able to meet ya up there and show ya round

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
yer ive been riding nailcan for a while and can do like everything there and its getting a little boring
im riding with a mate over there tomorrow for some dh trailing with the race coming up

maccas86

Likes Bikes
another place we go is upto beechworth, there are some great tracks up there plus the mountain bike park, there is also the mt stanley downhill track

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
i went up to beachworth with my mates not long ago, we couldn't really find any freeride tracks,
they were ither disroyed or people have hacked into them shovels,
the downhill track there is good but other than that i duno where the rest are,

where are the other trakes you said where at beachworth?

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Re: Beechworth - All the good freeride stuff is kinda west/north west from the carpark, it's kinda at the start of the XC loop that goes back behind the car park, i.e., if you're looking down from the top of the park it's behind you a ways. Lots of big hit type drops around Beechworth, Mt Pilot, Gorge Loop etc, just go looking!

Re: Albury - There's heaps of good stuff around Albury in particular with a bit of stuff around McFarlane's Hill in Wodonga too. The 'can has some well built and challenging d'hill and some big hits and drops, including some big gaps down near the doubles. Lots of old tracks around too that don't get ridden much - very rocky stuff, just go for a ride and look out for overgrown single track! There's also some fun urban stuff around too if you know where to look.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
righty-o,
when I went up tho Bechworth i spent like 1 hour looking both sides of the hill, we only found stuff that wasn't ridable cause either not finished or wasn't safe to any one,

where bout is Mcfarlen hill? and yer urban is good i got a street bike for that, i just painted it today acutely

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Theres no north shore stuff at Beechworth MTB park anymore. The freeride trails were either deemed too dangerous or an erosion issue so they have all been closed and rehabilitated.

Also , as far as I know the DH track at Mt Stanley is covered in fallen trees since the fires early this year. I wouldn't bother going up there looking for riding.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news mate.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Theres no north shore stuff at Beechworth MTB park anymore. The freeride trails were either deemed too dangerous or an erosion issue so they have all been closed and rehabilitated.

Also , as far as I know the DH track at Mt Stanley is covered in fallen trees since the fires early this year. I wouldn't bother going up there looking for riding.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news mate.
That's horrible news. Any plans for the future? Or is it all being forgotten for now, and focussing on XC only?

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Repairing and adding to the XC trails was our priority and thats almost complete now. The next item is to re route the bottom part of the DH track which also has erosion in some areas.

We're (the club) not against building new freeride trails , but they seem to be lowest on the agenda , purely because of the stats. Most of the club members and visitors to the park come for XC riding. The next biggest group is DH. So naturally we are aiming to please the majority first.

Regarding any man made features , (Nth Shore) anything built for the park must have engineers approval. That in itself adds (ridiculously) to the cost of building a wooden trail. Also , anything over 1m high requires handrails (!)

It's not our land so we have to play by the rules. The best option for the park as far as FR trails go would be natural trails , rock hucks , steep stuff , etc. All well built and sustainable of course. :)

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Of course :)

I haven't ridden there in a long time, but I remember back when it had some nice north shore stuff around there. Good times. That's a bit weird about the handrails though! But hell, if you have to play by the rules to get it, it's better than nothing!

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Wow, that sucks. That gap then the ladder over the rocks was a pretty cool feature of the Beechworth tracks...oh well, as you say, rules should be adhered to otherwise there'll be nada.

McFarlane's Hill is at the end of Felltimber Creek Road in Wodonga. Some pushing up hill leads to some great fast single track with some rock hucks, steep boulder rolls and rock chute lines dotted around the place. Prob best with an all mtn rig really...the challenge on a XC rig is to try and ride the whole circuit without walking, which IMO is close to impossible...the short d'hill makes up for it tho.

maccas86

Likes Bikes
hmm might have to head over to the dong and try find these McFarlane's Hill tracks sometime soon, would be good to do a bit of change of location

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
i think ive been there,
most of the boys now call it hunchback hill,
is that the same hill or different?
Nah, Hunchback is at the east end of Wodonga (Huon Hill); Felltimber is the range alongside Felltimber Road at the western end. Some good rock hucks etc out there and there used to be an old short course DH track there too.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
huon is the one over near the new bunnings and stuff, is the is the one towards the old wodonga air port? and its ment to be a single trace?

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
huon is the one over near the new bunnings and stuff, is the is the one towards the old wodonga air port? and its ment to be a single trace?
Yeah man now I can't remember! We used to call it by the property name growing up there (which I also can't remember now...too many stacks on the head obviously), but Huon Hill is the one you can drive to the top of (east of Wodonga and above Bunnings etc) and bomb back down the walking track. There also used to be some mad single track running down the south west ridge line to the old pumping station but it's long overgrown now (rode it 2 yrs ago and wa spicking Patto out of my legs for a week after) and prob has bloody houses on it or some shit now :(

There used to be an awesome XC ride from the back end of Felltimber, following the ridge right around (south of Wodonga's Felltimber area) back to Huon Creek Road, then you could skip across the bitumen to the Plant Farm and then head up to the old water tank up on the hill and continue to the Army barracks, it was literally a XC ride from the west of the dong to the east. Prob' couldn't do it now, you'd get feckin' newbie landholders up your arse now, shithouse, should've left it public lands the b@st@rds.