Freeriding Armor

Mason

Likes Dirt
How many of you fellow riders out there ride with some sort of protection? Ranging from a simple cup for the boys, to a full DH racing jacket?

I wear my dainese :D

Mason

Likes Dirt
Its actually very light. I don't really notice it riding besides the fact of the sholder restraints that keep you from seperating your sholder, It is good to sacrafice a little movement for protection.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
looks like some crustation or something. ive got some old motie armour and boots and helmet if im gonna try somethng really insane

xxsethsxx

Likes Bikes
I use roach legs and arms. I havent decided on chest armor yet, or even if i want it. doesnt that get really sweaty and hot when you ride? I was thinking it but im not even sure if the air from DHing can cool me down when in a suit like that. is it worth it?

Mason

Likes Dirt
It is actually very cool when riding. You just throw a wife beater in underneth it, with it over. It has air vents all over it. It works good for both DH and Freeriding it comes in VERY handy for crashing on the rocks or what ever you fall on.I would say that it is worth it.

fastrider gus

super huck
armor??? lol
i got realy pissed at fastrider ben because he wouldnt do a road gap at our local spot if he didnt have all his gear on. so i took off everything appart from shorts and shoes and did it..
all you need is gloves and a potty-lid...

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Racin i wear a 661 pressure suit but for the local dh or jump spot just shinnies elbows and a lid of some sort.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
always wear atleast a helmet, if not a full face for doing stupid stuff.
If I could afford full armor i would buy it for DH'ing, to bad about the 400 dollar+ price tag tho :shock:

kitakishi

Likes Dirt
I know one guy who fell when riding a flat basic fire trail at manly dam. he had a shitload of pins and screws in his arm and now has less than 100% use.

If you wear a helmet to protect your face why not armour to protect your body?

I always wear elbows, shinnies, gloves and full face. The cost of the repair to your body if you damage it will always be more than the cost of the equipment to protect it.

Scott

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
most of the time i wear just a lid and gloves... When I go a bit more X-treme i put some knee/shinnies on. If i DH'd more i would get some sort of upper-body shit for sure.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i thought everyone wore gloves, lol, i have to otherwise my hands r fuked. I wear knee pads if I know im setting out for something less than safe, otherwise just a lid and gloves.
As I said, if i oculd afford ful larmour i would sure as hel lwear it

fastrider gus

super huck
i have all the elbow pads and shinnies and a big fox "roost" armour but most of it is to make my dad happy.. lol
he says i cant race with out wearing it all. but most of the races i got to he isnt there so i dont wear it.
im not a big armour fan.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh man,
the old and fat brigade better say something.
i use gloves and helmet just to ride to the shops :)
knee/shin for everything else, and if it even looks like it might be difficult, full armour.
i'm looking at full reconstructions of both knees, and probably my right shoulder, cause of stuff i did when i was young and dumb.
if you got it, use it. if you don't got it, get it.
the cost that i'm looking at for the knees and shoulder would buy me a damn good car, armour costs fark all compared to that.
oh, and don't listen to those dickheads that say armour doesn't realy do that much, the only reason i still have a right arm is because the shoulder guard in the armour i was wearing stopped a length of star picket taking the damn thing off.
to top it all off, my knees going to be fucked with arthritis within anouther 8-10 years and i'm only 35.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hope it all goes well lupine.
I've got arthritis in all my fingers and im 15, that's farked. Hey, if you dont want your armour you can send it to me, COD, lol

Ryan

Radministrator
Hmmm, I used to be a bit of a no-armour-I-don't-need-a-fullface-to-race-DH, terry tuff c*nt type of guy. Since I started riding, (7 years ago) I had genuinely never had a crash where afterwards I'd thought "gee a fullface / elbow guard / pressure suit / whatever would have been of any advantage. 7 weeks ago I had a serious off, which resulted in one seriously farked elbow, 4 days in hospital and a lot of painful rehabilitation (still only about 90% range of movement in the joint). The same crash also stoved in the side of my open face lid, an impact which I'm sure would have killed me had I not been wearing it. I know it's closing the gate after the horse has bolted, but I've now invested in a decent set of elbow guards and picked up a fullface that Dom discarded and I now wear the elbow guards whenever I ride seriously, even at the skatepark or on the street, feeling like an aboslute geeb is a small price to pay if it keeps me out of hospital and in one piece. When I get back to racing DH, it will be in a fullface lid and knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards. Don't be too cool to go without the safety gear that's available to us. It costs a damn sight less than the financial and quality-of-life costs of a serious crash, you'll be kicking yourself afterwards and you'll feel like a right tool for doing it, I know I do. :)

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For any sort of DH , a full face, goggles, knee shin and soon elbow pads. I'v got body armour that Gav from Ashgrove cycles gave me but because i'm only 13 and it's his stuff it's a bit big. I probably wouldn't were it anyway. Too heavr and it resticts your movement too much.