Free entry to 3Peaks this Sunday - Does anybody want it?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I entered 3peaks way back when but due to late baby arrival I cant go this Sunday

So anybody out there in Farkin road & track forum want an entry ticket with a normal cost of $280 for $0? Only condition is you will need to pretend to be me and I take no responsibility for your suffering up Falls Creek climb :)

PM me.

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/alpine-national-park/tawonga-gap-mt-beauty-side/
http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/alpine-national-park/mt-hotham/
http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/alpine-national-park/falls-creek-omeo-side/

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's taken me a week to recover from this event - had to commute to work so no real rest until this weekend. Thanks again Cave Dweller, felt humbled by your generosity and wasn't going to let your entry down after all it's the first time I've rode as a sponsored rider :thumb:.

Here's a brief summary of day:

Had no accommodation organised, no problem found a nice spot near the Rocky Dam so got to Falls around 6:00 pm Saturday, then drove to Dam area watched a nice lightening show below Fallls plateau somewhere over Omeo, whilst eating a Pesto Pasta and drinking beer - all mountain bike style. Went dark around 8.30, perfect as I needed the sleep, woke around 1:00 am to see the most amazing night sky. Woke around 5.45 am, drove into Falls and got a parking spot opposite start area.

I knew I’d be able to do ride coming off the AAC200 - and I’ve been doing a solid program of intervals on the mountain bike and long mtb rides 80k plus … a quick bit of Strava research showed both events had a total ascent of roughly 4000 metres. Back of Falls had me worried, more that I didn’t want to walk it due to poor gearing choice, so on went a 12:30 with a 39 up front, the RD was just coping with the jockey wheel rubbing on the 30 sprocket, but I knew it would be the bailout gear so I would use it sparingly.

Plan was to go with the early starters and use them on flats – between Tawonga to Harrietville, also wanted to descend with experienced riders, pace was fast, just kept low, railed as many corners as possible and hit Tawonga Gap climb just warmed up enough - rode it at about 80% effort, a stream of riders passing but that was ok as I knew they were the sub-10hr guys, coming off Tawonga some crazy speeds and then got onto groups that was more Around the Bay speed than an epic mountain ride. I usually do the AAC200 with friends, pace is tourist, always a beautiful day's riding. However as I was solo and didn't want to be out longer than necessary I rode it with minimum breaks - I didn't have enough roadie fitness, I hadn't been on the roadie since January so just kept ride consistent.

Mt Hotham again rode it conservatively, only a few riders passing now so knew I was hitting the 10.5hr-ish riders, it’s a brute of a climb and it caught out a lot of riders who thought climb was over on false flat section, the later parts of Mt Hotham were very extreme and it was pushing me to levels that I knew would take a toll later on. Finally made it to Dinner Plain, lunch, rest but kept it to about 15-20 minutes, rolled on and caught patchy groups to Omeo, short break there, feeling good, consistent eating and drinking was paying off.

Omeo to base of Back of Falls seemed to go on forever, caught some groups sitting on a sensible 29kph, delivered to base of Back of Falls, wasn’t going to be intimidated by 19%, so off seat and grind, this thing was steep and was playing with my mind wasn’t helpful seeing other riders walking – 4k of this, no 10k, no 25k who knows just pedal. Wasn’t going to walk, kept thinking about how hard a Half Marathon run is where you want to stop but you can’t as you know the entire event depends on this moment, so last resort was the old paperboy trick of weaving the climb I remembered the days of carrying the Saturday Age as a young kid, so that was it, just do whatever is required, just don’t walk and don’t stop! Eventually the climb has some flat sections so drink, eat, pop a gel, some recovery, and then focus again, on a positive at least Back of Falls gets easier even though you have fatigue to deal with, compared to Mt Hotham which gets steeper near the end.

Back of Falls seemed to go on forever, finally got to Falls Plateau, what a beautiful place, was a surreal experience rolling through it, was tired but enough in the tank to get me over the climbs that kept coming, rolled into finish, just over 11 hrs, pasta, jersey, a can of coke, BV should be congratulated for a superb event, fantastically organised.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I was hoping you would do a report. I've been enjoying the roadie over summer and have many questions about rides like this. Mainly about my own ability. I'm not sure I could belt out 4000+ vertical in one day. I think I could do it but not sure if I could do it fast enough. What is the time limit for it? I would also put on a compact crank with a 34 granny and a 11-28 cassette.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was hoping you would do a report. I've been enjoying the roadie over summer and have many questions about rides like this. Mainly about my own ability. I'm not sure I could belt out 4000+ vertical in one day. I think I could do it but not sure if I could do it fast enough. What is the time limit for it? I would also put on a compact crank with a 34 granny and a 11-28 cassette.
AAC is easier at 200 and 4000m than the old OO. Haven't done 3 peaks but half a dozen AAC's.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks yes you can do 4000+ in a day, it aren't as intense as the mtb, so it's all about finding a smooth rhythm - breaks and of course eating and drinking consistently. the ACC200 is a bit less competitive than the 3 Peaks for me, yes the ACC200 is timed I've always done it as a training event and simply just to have a great weekend in the mountains with friends. Where 3 Peaks seemed a bit more geared to fast riding, i.e. pacing riders, each Peak is timed and brilliant event support which has well stocked rest stops so you can ride at threshold.

The time limit is 13 hours for 3 peaks (ACC200 has a limit as well), guys coming in after 12 hrs hadn't rode slowly more they had longer breaks from what I could see. The 'major' difference from Road to MTB - and when thinking about doing these events, is the drafting effect and just how much energy you save (and get recovery). At your typical mtb event I tend to ride at Level 4-5 (5 being threshold), where on the road it's 3-4-5 climbing, everywhere else is Level 2-3. At times I was hardly pedaling, seems like cheating when you think about mtbing!

Amazing how many interstate riders there were at 3 Peaks who kept telling me how lucky we are to have this mountain range only 4.5hrs from Melbourne. Yes when you think about it we have Dandenongs, Kinglake and the Alpine area, so yes pretty fortunate. a really great day on the bike, mountains on a roadie are just as inspiring as hammering single track through the bush.

yep, I'll say it the beer tasted just as good.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Glad you had a good time on the ride mtb101 and that someone got to use the ticket. I was really looking forward to improving my previous times but there is always next year.

Pistonbroke & casnell, this is the must do road endurance event in Australia. The other one is Fitz 255km Epic in Canberra or the ACE250 in Bright. I think most reasonably fit mtb riders can do a ride like this with a bit of road training, the correct nutrition and mental preparation (ie just keep turning the pedals).

I have signed up for the Rapha Dolomite's ride in September, it is basically 3 peaks back to to back for 10 days straight. This will for sure let me find out where my outer limits of pain and endurance are, wish me luck :)

http://centcolschallenge.com/routes/dolomites

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Hey Cave Dweller - big report with pics required for the Dolomite's ride - sounds fantastic ;)

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Great write up! I was back for a second year, did it last year in the extreme heat and with the altered course. Interesting to see that this year had a higher success rate as the course was a lot more physically demanding, probably had a lot to do with the near perfect weather. I was solo last year and came back mostly to do it with a couple of mates - I remember being on my own a lot last year which made the day even harder.

As usual the organisation and delivery of the day really is impressive, pretty much everything is thought of and I can't really think of anything to add to the event that would make it any better. It is a massive day out and my one tip for completion is to minimise the stops. All up over the course of the day it is easy to rest for longer than you think if you aren't careful and watch the clock. That's good time you could be using to take it easier up Hotham in preparation for the back of Falls or simply finishing earlier. Our ride started easy enough, bomb down Falls, stay off the brakes as much as possible and spin up the sneaky little uphill sections. Roll through My Beauty after stashing jackets and warmers and hit Tawonga, to tap out an easy pace. I make sure I am spinning the legs over and watching the heart rate, its easy to get carried away with the bunches and burn some matches you will need later in the day. Coming off the other side is always a great little decent and we didn't realise the size of the bunch that formed behind us heading into Harrietville. I pulled a turn and dropped back thinking I would roll to the rear and sit in for a while only to glance back and not be able to see the end! I quickly pulled in about 15 wheels from the front. Drafting is really important on this ride, it gets you through the flatter parts fresher and faster if you can link in and work well with a group. Just don't get too carried away with the pace or pulling massive turns.

I am not a climber by any stretch of the imagination, I can punch short steep hills and I can grind a good pace on long low grade inclines but big climbs are a real challenge. That said I really enjoyed Hotham - pace yourself and be prepared for it to get nasty and it really is a beautiful road to be on. The views are stunning and you make out the road ahead waving its way up higher on the other side of the valley. We encountered our first problem of the day when one of my mates had a couple of spews on the last sustained 10% section before the tunnel. Knowing we had to keep moving even though someone really wants to rest is a hard position to be in. We just kept moving as best we could, lendign helping hands on the inclines and sheltering him from the winds on the flats. Unfortunately we could only lend a hand for so long before time cut offs loomed and we had to leave our mate at Omeo or risk missing the cut. The ride from Dinner Plain to Omeo has some of the most amazing descents I have experienced, I ticked over 85km and it never really felt that fast or unsafe as they are wide roads, sweeping bends and good visibility in front. From Omeo to Anglers rest we tapped out a decent pace, averaging just over 31km/hr in order to give us enough time for the Back of Falls - it was a not ideal as these were matches we might need for later. Luckily we hooked onto a group coming into Angler rest and had a brief respite.

After a slow trip to Omeo we only had a little over 3 hours once we hit WTF corner and this is where it all went pear shaped for me. I sent my last remaining mate off for glory as he is a faster climber than me and I wanted to make sure he would finish his first event rather than stay with me and I got set to grind it out. Cramps put an end to this idea after a couple of kms and I found my self trudging along with shoes in hand walking up. I was pretty sure I wouldn't make the last check point but I wasn't stopping. I was in the pain cave and can't really remember much after that apart from trying to get back on and ride when it flattened out only to cramp up again. I pressed on and somehow made it to Trapyard Flats with 10min to spare. I smashed a couple of gels, filled up the bottle put the game face on and went for it.

I can not describe the elation when I realised I was going to be under the 13 hours, I had about 10km to go and savoured the amazing scenery as I booked it to the finish. The last 13km or so is an amazing reward for the previous hard work up the back of Falls, its a rolling road with a slight downhill to the finish. Add in the moody skies, setting sun and vivid rainbow I thought I may have passed out and be dreaming at one stage.

It didn't quite go as smoothly as last year but it got done and I am glad to walk away with another finisher jersey. If you are up for a challenge and can put in the time for some good training I would recommend this event whole heartedly.