Frame Repair Thoughts ? (I knew it was to good to be true)

heavyp

You heard it here first
So before buying my giant I checked most places that would crack and all seemed good Until just now when I cleared so mud off if, turns out i have a crack in an X shape where there are holes in the little bridge attaching the chainstays together. Its a good crack but it has not reached the welds as yet.
crack1.jpgcrack.jpg

Would welding this heat up the welds close by making them weaker ?

Any thoughts on what to do from an engineering point of view would be great, if not does anyone have a set of ATX DH chain stays floating about im very interested.

heavyp

You heard it here first
One word: Gripsport.
Id be talking to seller also :yell:
The seller was an old disabled guy in the hinterland, it was his sons bike who is now a rural pilot somewhere in oz its been in the shed for like 10 years, I know what you mean thou.

I was hoping to get it done here in brisbane. I just looked at gripsport and I understand what there saying by just don't weld it but I don't want a big piece of ali welded on to the bike the tyre clearance is tight enough as it is.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I mate of mine had his frame welded up recently and it is some of the best welds I have seen.

If you dont feel like sending it to Gripsport, I can get the contact dets of this guy for you as he is in Brisbane.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
clearly get in touch with grip or the likes and see what they'd do atleast, that should give you some where to start, if i was you i'd cut out the cracked tube and weld in a new one and that would fix it, failing that i'd go with grip's horse shoe design

Blackheath

Likes Bikes
Take it to grip to get repaired. The heat would normalize he welded zone as long as he repair is completed correctly as I am sure grip would do for you..

heavyp

You heard it here first
How load baring I'd this part of the bike ? Just seems so strange that it would crack on one side and in such a weird shape ?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How load baring I'd this part of the bike ? Just seems so strange that it would crack on one side and in such a weird shape ?
downward weight, does fuck all, its for sideways strength, no idea how hes donw it though

redbruce

Eats Squid
Bridge to stabilize the chainstays relative to each other (reduce rear end flex).

Hole is a stress riser and so crack radiates from there.

That tube has mostly torsional (but with slight bending moment) load on it and so you get cracks running off at an angle to the frame member following the resultant stress path.

Paintmybike dont actually do the welding repair. They sublet it (outsource) and therefore dont warranty the repair.

Find out who they use and go there (but only if they have enough faith in their work to warranty it).

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Wonder how long it will last if I don't get it fixed without taking it off jumps or off road to much mmmmmmmmmmmmm

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
There is a guy in brisbane who can do this (an actual aluminium welder). He has done bikes before (as previously mentioned)........

moorey

call me Mia
There is a guy in brisbane who can do this (an actual aluminium welder). He has done bikes before (as previously mentioned)........
John at Grip will do more than just weld. I'm the biggest tight arse on here, ask anyone I've traded with, but frame repair is one thing I'd never skimp on. Good luck whatever you do. I cut my teeth watching the big boys ride those in the late 90's. They were THE privateers bike then, and I bet they still ride a treat.

cowma

Likes Bikes
Same as mine

I have an identical crack in that location on my ATX2DH. I have still been riding it but have been keeping an eye on it too. I should probably get around to getting it fixed, along with my hard tail that I just found has a cracked head tube.
Would be keen to see how and where you get it sorted if possible

heavyp

You heard it here first
I have an identical crack in that location on my ATX2DH. I have still been riding it but have been keeping an eye on it too. I should probably get around to getting it fixed, along with my hard tail that I just found has a cracked head tube.
Would be keen to see how and where you get it sorted if possible
Ah sorry to hear that would love to see a photo of it ?, how long have you been riding it since you found it and have you been riding it aggressively?

cowma

Likes Bikes
Ah sorry to hear that would love to see a photo of it ?, how long have you been riding it since you found it and have you been riding it aggressively?
I found the crack around July/August maybe earlier. I have raced and ridden on it since then with no dramas (yet). I haven't done a lot of riding in the past few months but it doesn't seem to have gotten bigger since I discovered it. I will get a photo for you tomorrow and post it up

cowma

Likes Bikes
My crack

2013-01-26_09-05-05_809 [800x600].jpg

This is the crack on mine, it is the year 2000 model from memory. With regards to getting it fixed, I don't know if it would be possible to just get that piece cut out and replaced or not? I have no idea when it comes to that stuff so I could be totally wrong