Frame protection....for alloy?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
There's lots of info & products around for protecting carbon frames.....
....but what about alloy?

Is it necessary?....or pedantic?
Who's done it?....and why?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I’ve never bothered with it except on the Downtube for shuttles. When it’s looking ratty and beat up I’d just strip down and get a fresh powdercoat and decals. You can usually get that done for less than $250.

teK--

Eats Squid
Never bothered on any of my alloy bikes. Just a few strips and patches on the areas that have a lot of rub or chips.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Weird question though - isn't "frame protection" more like paint protection?

Not sure how Frameskins would protect actual tube damage, be it carbon or alloy. The thicker stuff maybe...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve put some gorilla tarp where my bike rack rubs - does the job .
But I have noticed the paint / powder coat chips and scratches really easily on my new bike ?
Sticks and Stones give it hell !

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Weird question though - isn't "frame protection" more like paint protection?

Not sure how Frameskins would protect actual tube damage, be it carbon or alloy. The thicker stuff maybe...
Yeah I guess for my new alloy bike I'm interested in paint protection. We all know how easy it is to scratch your mtn bike.
My tailgate pad on the ute rubs the paint dull under the top of the down tube for example.

For carbon, I understood it as more important, because a chip/scratch/ding to the paint might then become a more serious structural problem ??

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used 3M helicopter tape on frames whether they're carbon or alloy. Pretty much just to protect the paint.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I sporadically zip a section of tire just above the BB ... on the down tube ... we’ve all seen the bullet holes in the down tube from rock strikes.

Depends on the trail I’m planning to ride.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I only use frame protection on the bits that rub or the chain slaps.

Usually I use the clear 3m tape on the frame bits that rub and some neoprene thing or tube on the chainstay.

This time around I've used the 3M mastic rubber tape for the chainstay and the 1 place the cable rubs on this bike, which is the brake cable above the bottom bracket.

This bike also comes with a stick on jelly like down tube protector, which if it wasn't there I wouldn't worry about.

I'm more about making the bike quiet rather than specific protection.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was going to on the new alloy bike. Just for paint protection from rock strike etc.
Haven't got round to it yet and now too late anyway :(

I wrap a rag around the frame for the bike rack so no drama there.

Last edited: