Fox X2 Notchy Travel

Staunch

Eats Squid
I tried to search first and couldn't find anything, either on here or Google, so figured this might be question for the brainstrust.

I bought a second-hand Fox Float X2 for my new trail bike I'm building and have got it mounted in the frame now. I began to inflate it, ensuring to equalise the positive and negative chambers every 50 psi, however as I was doing this I noticed that the shock has a very firm point about 65-75% of the way into the travel. It will still compress past this point, but it feels like the compression rates up 10x all of a sudden. It feels notchy when you reach it, and occurs with every compression.

I backed the shock off to 0 PSI again (slowly) and tried again to slowly add pressure and cycle, and no change. I've had an X2 previously and never noticed this. I will also note that I removed the air sleeve to check the amount of volume spacers present, and it's not exceeding the recommendations from Fox.

Any ideas?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Check the volume spacers are correctly fitted. Due to the comparitively small volume of rear shock chambers, spacer placement is very critical; if any are in the wrong spot they can affect the flow through the balance port.

Also make sure the air piston seal is adequately greased, and that there are no rough spots in the air can which will affect the movement of the piston in the can.

Staunch

Eats Squid
So I think I found an answer to my own question. Apparently for the 2019 X2s, they added a ~20mm mechanical bump stop to help rectify the complaints people had about blowing through the travel. Not really sure if I'm a huge fan of this on paper, will have to see how it noticable it is under normal riding conditions