Fox RC4 or Vivid 5.1 for Santa Cruz V10?

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Hi,

Recently just purchased an 09 V10 frame and am about to build it up. Unsure of which rear shock to go for?
Anyone used either of these on a V10? Keen to hear from feedback or any other suggestions!?!

Cheers!

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Honestly, check out webmountainbike.com

And buy a Cane Creek Double Barrel. I have one in my V10 and love it. Takes a fair bit of fiddling to get it right, but good lord it's a good shock! I have also ridden a V10 with an RC4 which was nice and I had a DHX 5 in mine before the CCDB. I thought the DHX was fine until I rode with the Cane Creek.

They also sell other shocks from that site, great service, quick delivery.

Regan

Eats Squid
I've just purchased a RC4 for my 08/09 V10. Coming from a DHX 5.0 it is noticeably smoother thought the stroke and has a much smoother rise in rate. Very happy with is, would fully recommend! I'd steer clear of the vivid as the V10 has a fairly high leverage ratio which give the shock a pretty hard time and I've seen a few have issues when run in them...

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Awesome, thanks for the advice, I looked at the Double Barrel pretty expensive though?!? Is it really worth
the extra $?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could also look at an Elka? Seem very good value for more money, and they are tuned for you and your bike.... just a thought. ;)

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Awesome, thanks for the advice, I looked at the Double Barrel pretty expensive though?!? Is it really worth
the extra $?

If I recall correctly, the price difference between the RC4 and Cane Creek was very little on webmountainbike.com

I have not done back to back runs with another V10 with an RC4 but will be doing so soon, however, i know the Cane Creek is night and day difference to the DHX 5. I am extremely happy with mine!

Tyre Kicker

Likes Bikes
The main problem with the Vivid and DHX 5.0 shocks in a v10 is the way they just blow through travel (the 2009 DHX wasn't as bad) you have them set up Farly plush and when riding down a std track suddenly you have used up all you travel on something tiny, go to a 500lb spring and it helps a bit but it still bottoms out and is now too stiff for everything else.

I have had experience with the RC4 it is much better for a V10, it is plush normally but doesn't just blow through the travel and ramps up hard to stop that bottom out problem.
I can also recommend a BOS very expensive and sometimes a bit of a waiting list but really a fantastic shock that is amazingly sensitive and has great bottom out control. Matt from TBSM runs one in his v10 and swears by it.

For a V10 an RC4 is really the starting point (with a service they feel better then straight out of the box) a Cane creek another step up and a BOS pretty much at the top.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I have just put an rc4 on my v10 last week and it works very well. It is very smooth and soft. If you buy an rc4 i would recomend running a stronger spring than what you would normally use. According to the santa cruz site it says i should use a 450 pound spring but i found it too soft for the v10 and now running a 500 pound spring. Also i got mine custom valved to suit the v10.
I have know idea about the vivid 5.1 but fox is quite good with the way they look after customers.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
The cane creek sounds awesome from all the reviews and everything ive read. Perhaps its the way to go.
Guess the only concern is getting it serviced in oz? Anyone know of a shop capable of servicing the double barrel
in australia?

Tyre Kicker

Likes Bikes
I belive TBSM can service them or will be able to very shortly,
there isn't any other shops that I can think of it that do it.

Pretty nice shocks. A few of my mates have them on dh/fr bikes and love them.
Just take a little while to set up correctly.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I belive TBSM can service them or will be able to very shortly,
there isn't any other shops that I can think of it that do it.

Pretty nice shocks. A few of my mates have them on dh/fr bikes and love them.
Just take a little while to set up correctly.
Wouldn't go near TBSM verses an Ohlins service centre for servicing a double barrel. Nothing personal against TBSM, just that people like Terry or Teknik motorsport have been making their living from servicing and tuning suspension for many years. TBSM have been making a living selling shit cheap.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Further to this, I recommend Terry Hay's Shock Treatment. Had my Ohlins moto stuff serviced there for ages, he does very good work.
And he has a Ohlins shock bleeding machine + a kick asre shock dyno. Seriusly good tuner.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
And he has a Ohlins shock bleeding machine + a kick asre shock dyno. Seriusly good tuner.
Have either of you been to see him regarding MTB shock servicing? This is the one thing that bothered me slightly with buying a Cane Creek, but if I can get it serviced at Terry Hay, I'm stoked! I know of his reputation through years of riding motos. Now I'm a little bit excited!

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have either of you been to see him regarding MTB shock servicing? This is the one thing that bothered me slightly with buying a Cane Creek, but if I can get it serviced at Terry Hay, I'm stoked! I know of his reputation through years of riding motos. Now I'm a little bit excited!
No, but just give him a ring and ask.

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Sweet, good to know theres people out there to service it. Im in WA so its a bit far but im happy as long as its within Australia. Sending it overseas is a bit much..

jrewing

Eats Squid
I've modified and built my shock there twice (5th element tho). I've spoken To Terry about shock servicing. He wasnt pursuing it to the point of advertising but he wouldn't say no. Plus he has an intricate knowledge of the TTX series from Ohlins ,which the Cane creek models on. On the Ohlins shock he has a (quiet) mod he does that improves a tiny fault in the shock design. I'm keen to see if this has much affect on the CCDB-From what he said about the TTX i think it will with the CCDB too.
Actually i'll call him Monday and ask if he is cool with me recommending him for doing these shocks. The only thing would be the spares required with building them.