Fox Float R not returning - service?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think this has been covered before but I can't quite find it. Riding today my rear fox float R bottomed out and failed to return. Adding air doesn't make it return either more than a few mm.

So is this something simple where I can let out all the air or something and then pump it up so both chambers get filled (does it have two chambers??)

In the liklihood it needs a service can I buy the seals (and if so from where) and do it my self easily. I am also concerned how hard is it put back together the rear suspension on a Trance as well?

Should I just go and get it fixed by someone?

Any comments that are nice a friendly are welcome.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some float R shocks were known to suffer the "stuck down" issue. I clearly remember it being described in the Fox manual that came with the Trance 3 I had back in '06.

I'm sure others will tune in with what you could try before you send it back to Fox to get fixed.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate... DON'T try and fix it yourself!! You'll end up with a shock body through your wall or worse, yourself (no kidding)!!

Take it to your lbs and they'll send it to us at Netti (Fox distributors) to fix it... Free of charge as, depending on the age and evident condition of the shock, 'stuck-downs' are warrantable!

They occur when you run your shock at too low an air pressure and on compression air passes from the postive chamber to the negative. They are becoming rarer but make a habit of checking your air pressure regularly!!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate... DON'T try and fix it yourself!! You'll end up with a shock body through your wall or worse, yourself (no kidding)!!

Take it to your lbs and they'll send it to us at Netti (Fox distributors) to fix it... Free of charge as, depending on the age and evident condition of the shock, 'stuck-downs' are warrantable!

They occur when you run your shock at too low an air pressure and on compression air passes from the postive chamber to the negative. They are becoming rarer but make a habit of checking your air pressure regularly!!
Ok LBS it will be... I had checked the pressure before the ride this morning actually. However I think I had this problem before and it "healed" itself for a while... gotta be wary of self healing mechanical things :)

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hey Mog!
Myself and bushpilot tried this and came up short,it's a tricky job,get the pro's to do it!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Sticky Fox shocks was actually a bit of an epidemic at one stage...especially the RP series shocks and those fitted to the early Giant Maestros. If your shock comes under that banner, Dirt Works should have the updated seal kits which will be used when your shop sends it away.

wadey

Squid
Mate it is an easy job to do if you have the right equipment .

1: remove all air from shock, cycle through travel remove air again.

2: remove shock from bike and place eyelet on valve end in vice, use rag or soft jaws to protect.

3: place a screwdriver or similar through other end eyelet and wrap rag around it in a figure 8 motion to provide a cushion when air sleeve is blown off.

4: unsrew air sleeve from shock usually undo by hand but you may need a strap wrench to loosen it, when it comes off it will be loud so be ready for it but it wont go anywhere because of the scewdriver and rag through eyelet.

5: you may have to replace seals but give it a try, pretty sure fox website has a section for ais sleeve maintainance.

Whatever you do, i would not be putting a screw driver or anything solid in the body eye to catch the air sleeve as they are only thin and will bend/dent setting you back the $100ish you saved doing it yourself.

All other points worked for me when i have needed to do it.

I have also spoken to the (now former) fox guys and they explained that it normally happens in the colder parts of the world during the cold months, Canberra, Tassie, Melbourne and even QLD in the morning.

As the Nettis guys said, its just as easy to take it off and send it to them for a warranty evaluation.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have also spoken to the (now former) fox guys and they explained that it normally happens in the colder parts of the world during the cold months, Canberra, Tassie, Melbourne and even QLD in the morning.

As the Nettis guys said, its just as easy to take it off and send it to them for a warranty evaluation.
LBS will be open tomorrow so have decided to take it there... save myself some effort and risk of stuffing something up.

Interesting what you say about the cold, was around 1 degree on an early morning ride when it happened.

Mate it is an easy job to do if you have the right equipment .

1: remove all air from shock, cycle through travel remove air again.

2: remove shock from bike and place eyelet on valve end in vice, use rag or soft jaws to protect.

3: place a screwdriver or similar through other end eyelet and wrap rag around it in a figure 8 motion to provide a cushion when air sleeve is blown off.

4: unsrew air sleeve from shock usually undo by hand but you may need a strap wrench to loosen it, when it comes off it will be loud so be ready for it but it wont go anywhere because of the scewdriver and rag through eyelet.

5: you may have to replace seals but give it a try, pretty sure fox website has a section for ais sleeve maintainance.

mostly right, but as was mentioned, don't use a screwdriver through the eyelet. instead get a long rag and pull it half through the eyelet like a big tassle. If you're really worried about the can getting away, tie a knot in the ends furthest from the shock. If the can launches now, it will get stopped quickly and safely by the rag.

to greatly reduce stick down problems, instead of the quad ring fox provide, give seal imports in Brisbane a call and get what they call a uni seal
(partno: CSI150/1UNI) use that to replace the quad ring and the backup ring nearest the propedal lever end of the shock.

I have this mod in my RP2 and the improvement has been rather remarkable.
the stiction was reduced, requiring me to run 5 or so extra psi to bring the sag back, and as a result of the extra pressure the shock is less prone to bottom out, despite the improved small bump response.