Fox 38 performance leak

safreek

Hi guys, looking at a set of 38 performance forks, they leak at the bottom.
I am clueless (in general) about these forks so no point inspecting them.

Would this be something major that is a common problem or a seal problem.

I know it's a big IF that I am asking but any ideas would be helpful in my decision.
Thanks

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hi guys, looking at a set of 38 performance forks, they leak at the bottom.
I am clueless (in general) about these forks so no point inspecting them.

Would this be something major that is a common problem or a seal problem.

I know it's a big IF that I am asking but any ideas would be helpful in my decision.
Thanks
What leg ? If they are leaking at the bottom, its can only be crush washer. Though if the air spring is leaking badly and pressurising the lowers, this could help push oil out through a badly fitted crush washer.

The Performance Elite and Factory come with lower bleeder valves, Performance doesn't.

Fitting bleeders was the first thing I did.

safreek

What leg ? If they are leaking at the bottom, its can only be crush washer. Though if the air spring is leaking badly and pressurising the lowers, this could help push oil out through a badly fitted crush washer.

The Performance Elite and Factory come with lower bleeder valves, Performance doesn't.

Fitting bleeders was the first thing I did.
Cool. If the airspring is leaking would it be an expensive repair. It's the left leg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cool. If the airspring is leaking would it be an expensive repair. It's the left leg
All air springs leak, they all let some air into the lowers, that's why most forks now have bleeders.

Just depends on how fast. If you were losing 20psi per ride that would be annoying but 1-2psi per ride wouldn't be that bad.

The air spring for a 38 is $180.

If its leaking at the bottom, it must be a crush washer or worst case (not that I've ever seen it) a crack in the lowers at the bottom.

Should be easily diagnosed... has the owner serviced them and put it back without the washer :rolleyes:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Phew, I was a bit confused by the title. I just pissed myself but it is ok as it is a performance leak. As you were.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
The other common thing with oil out of the damper side lwr leg is if they have recently serviced them and poured the lwr leg oil into the end of the damper shaft, then it just leaks out through the rebound adjuster.