Fox 15mm thru axle QR

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

I was trying to remove the wheel on my 09 Giant Reign and in the process managed to round out the allen-key hole on the 15mm thru axle. Eventually with the use of some unorthodox instruments I was able to remove it and have since began looking for a replacement. Forks are Fox 32 Talas RL.

Is it possible to get a replacement with a QR end to avoid this happening again? I have searched far and wide and have been unable to find one in Australia from any of the online retailers. I have called my local shop and was told that given its age (6 years??) it is an extremely difficult part to order.

The only thing I have found is this from the USA: http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-15QR-Axle - Would this be suitable?

The length of the axle is 170mm.

Thanks

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Photos please ... this could be a candidate for submission to another thread.

How did you need an allen key to removed the fox 15mmQR ?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hmm seems legit. Not sure if it will fit. There is a raised bit on the allan key side that is not on the axle you linked.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Oh ... yeah, not sure about compatibility. Maybe someone local or your LBS can let you test fit a 15mmQR.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just called another shop, they may be able to order it in for approx. $200.

I never would have thought it would have been this difficult to source!

Intense1

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just called another shop, they may be able to order it in for approx. $200.

I never would have thought it would have been this difficult to source!
Call For The Riders in Brisbane. They might be able to help you out

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh that looks like a 20mm axle from a fox 36 or 40.
I've got one just like that with the allen keyway rounded out by previous owner. Very annoying!
You can keep using it if you hammer a slightly larger torx bit into the hole and use that from now on.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Sure it isn't a 20mm axle? :behindsofa:
Well this is embarrassing. Turns out I went full potato, it is a 20mm axle and my forks are 36's not 32's. I apologise for the misinformation.

I called For The People in Brisbane, who put me in touch with NS Dynamics and got a new one for $80.

resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-go-full-retard-but-w.jpg

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well this is embarrassing. Turns out I went full potato, it is a 20mm axle and my forks are 36's not 32's. I apologise for the misinformation.

I called For The People in Brisbane, who put me in touch with NS Dynamics and got a new one for $80.

View attachment 305569

Thanks for all the replies
Dickhead... Moorey is going to open your arse for this one. Now away to the fuckwith thread and make yourself know.....

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check the torque spec and correct install procedure for a 20mm axle the reason they strip is they are not meant to be tight.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
'For the people' or 'We the riders'?
Fuck how did I write that? I am off the planet today.

Dickhead... Moorey is going to open your arse for this one. Now away to the fuckwith thread and make yourself know.....
I found the thread. I feel like a platinum cock head. I will post in there.
Good to hear. Knew they'd be able to help out
Thanks for the recommendation